Possibly selling my car.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Possibly selling my car.....

I am pondering the possibility of selling my car. Please keep in mind that I am in no rush and will hold out for what I think to be a proper offer, so I ask please no unrealistic low-ball requests. This is a rare opportunity to own what I consider a very rare car. For those of you who dont know the car here is a quick rundown:
-2005 Mercedes CL600 33k miles
-AMG Tuned ECU & TCU (only one in existence)
-Fully loaded except for Distronic and Trunk Closer
-Full custom exhaust from turbos back, cats removed
-Custom 5 gallon trunk mounted reservoir with dual intercooler pumps
-CL65 Heat Exchanger
-Volk LE37 1 piece forged rims 19x8.5 (19lbs) 19x9.5 (21lbs) with fresh Toyo T1r tires, less than 500 miles on tires
The car has never been hit and is in pristine condition mechanically and cosmetically. I used to own a detailing company so the paint is in immaculate condition with zero dings. Meticulously maintained by a friend who is Benz tech. One year left on Mercedes factory warranty.
This is the first and only 600 in the 10's without nitrous, and currently the 4th fastest non-NOS Benz in the country. I have dynos verifying 555rwhp and currently should make close to 570rwhp+
Please feel free to email or PM me offers.
Jason@gemsbyjwade.com

Last edited by JAYCL600; 04-01-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I think this a wise decision for someone that asks, "what's an AMG".

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by Rock
I think this a wise decision for someone that asks, "what's an AMG".

Good luck!
Touche....thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 EVO X GSR
What are you going to be replacing it with?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
I hate to see this car go as it was inspiration for my Black Bison. Thanks for all your help bro. Best of luck finding her a nice home, hopefully she will find a nut just like you.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
I am pondering the possibility of selling my car. Please keep in mind that I am in no rush and will hold out for what I think to be a proper offer, so I ask please no unrealistic low-ball requests.
Why sell a car you don't want to sell? Every time I see the "i'm in no rush and will hold out for a proper offer" I simply lose any interest. Put up a price it would take to move it. It's like the for sale ads that say "Call for price", yeah right. In my experience, most consumers want a price, otherwise you're inviting low-ball offers, despite your feel good safety net of telling people up front that you are holding out until someone offers what you want.

Enjoy your rare car, I would.

Edit: Perhaps post a ballpark figure of what price range you are looking for?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Esh
Why sell a car you don't want to sell? Every time I see the "i'm in no rush and will hold out for a proper offer" I simply lose any interest. Put up a price it would take to move it. It's like the for sale ads that say "Call for price", yeah right. In my experience, most consumers want a price, otherwise you're inviting low-ball offers, despite your feel good safety net of telling people up front that you are holding out until someone offers what you want.

I disagree. Why post a price on a message board? All it does it gives people (who have no actual interest in purchasing the car) a soap box to criticize someone's price. How many threads have devolved that way? If someone is interested...they will contact Jay. If someone is "put-off" by him not listing a price and refuse to even contact him...than that is probably for the best as I can't see the negotiations going very well with that personality type.

Tom
Old 04-01-2009, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by greg12m3
What are you going to be replacing it with?
Hey Greg, not sure yet...maybe a Prius

Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
I hate to see this car go as it was inspiration for my Black Bison. Thanks for all your help bro. Best of luck finding her a nice home, hopefully she will find a nut just like you.
Jody, I will always be here to help you....and bust your *****!!
Originally Posted by Esh

Thanks for your input, any serious buyer will contact me and offer what they think is fair.

Originally Posted by TMC M5
I disagree. Why post a price on a message board? All it does it gives people (who have no actual interest in purchasing the car) a soap box to criticize someone's price. How many threads have devolved that way? If someone is interested...they will contact Jay. If someone is "put-off" by him not listing a price and refuse to even contact him...than that is probably for the best as I can't see the negotiations going very well with that personality type.

Tom
Tommy Boy!!!! My sentiments exactly....
Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere

Tom
Tom, I disagree with your disagreement. As I've said in the Classifieds section, being coy leads to little interest. The cars that sell are the ones that are priced aggressively and openly. As a potential buyer, I'm going to evaluate Jay's range and decide right away if I want to spend time discussing it. If Jay wants X, and I know similar cars go for X-10k, I know we will never get anywhere except Jay getting offended by a 'lowball', so I move on. Jay's likely got an emotional attachment that I don't have. I look at commodity pricing indicators from various sources.

Yes, you likely get a few snarky auction result posts, but market price is market price. Price to market and you get a sale. Fish for a high buyer and turn off a large chunk of the market, especially on this forum.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
Tom, I disagree with your disagreement. As I've said in the Classifieds section, being coy leads to little interest. The cars that sell are the ones that are priced aggressively and openly. As a potential buyer, I'm going to evaluate Jay's range and decide right away if I want to spend time discussing it. If Jay wants X, and I know similar cars go for X-10k, I know we will never get anywhere except Jay getting offended by a 'lowball', so I move on. Jay's likely got an emotional attachment that I don't have. I look at commodity pricing indicators from various sources.

Yes, you likely get a few snarky auction result posts, but market price is market price. Price to market and you get a sale. Fish for a high buyer and turn off a large chunk of the market, especially on this forum.
But Jay's car isn't your average "for sale" listing....
Old 04-01-2009, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by transferred
But Jay's car isn't your average "for sale" listing....
Yes, I was speaking more in general. But Jay's car makes it more difficult to arrive at a "fair" valuation, with nothing to compare it to.

Look at the dozens of threads in Classifieds that are bumped monthly with small price reductions that are way behind the market. It goes on forever. Many owners feel their 2004 E55 is worth 30% extra because they polish and wax it every week.

Anyway, not to jack Jay's thread...
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton

Well...I now disagree with your disagreeing with my disagreement.

J/K...I understand your point. But you see how all the postings so far are not on topic. We are already caught up in debating "market value" and does Jay's car deserve a premium over those other marks in the market...and he hasn't even listed a price...

It is a matter of preference. Jay wanted to make people aware he is entertaining offers for his car. He wishes to keep the matter of price private. That is his preference.

Tom
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
How many threads have devolved that way?
In fairness, the threads that developed that way are usually the ones where the price is too high. LOL

The market price is the market price, and no amount of debate on here (or emotional attachment on the part of the owner) is going to change that one way or the other. The car's worth what it's worth.

These "I'll sit around till I get get what I want" type of posts just wave a giant red flag that tells everybody the price is too high. If it was worth what he was asking, then he wouldn't have to justify it like this. And he knows that...

He might get what he wants, and he might not. But I think this is the wrong way to attract interest. He should say I want $X for it.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by CWW
He should say I want $X for it.
OK, I want $X for it
Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
IMO - one of the ways you offer something for sale is to list a price.

Almost ANYTHING is for sale - cars, houses, wives, etc for the right money.

I don't think you can say you are selling if you don't establish a price. That's usually how this "negotiation" thing works.

By the same token - when someone sees your price and says "what's the least you'll take" - you have every right to tell them "make me an offer and we'll see if that's it". Once you've established your asking price, they are free to volley back what they will pay. Going straight to "what's the least you'll take" is about as annoying - because it's like they want to play the "game" without ponying up any skin.

So - if you are selling - you really need to at least throw out a price. And if you are buying, you also have to throw out a number.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Jay, would you take $50k ?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by LZH
PM sent.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by LZH
Luke you might have offered too much

j/k ...

The CL's are probably the fastest depreciating line of the MBZ's in relation to MSRP. I know this first hand owning a CL65 worth none of the money at the end but all at the start.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Vic55

j/k ...

The CL's are probably the fastest depreciating line of the MBZ's in relation to MSRP. I know this first hand owning a CL65 worth none of the money at the end but all at the start.
The more I look at your siggy pick with the 997, the more I agree with ricker. That car is crying out for black side air intakes...
Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Vic55

j/k ...

Don't go too far...Look at that M6 of yours...that thing is dropping like a tank. lol...J/K you don't care much about depreciation with a stable like that...so hush...
Old 04-01-2009, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by CWW
The more I look at your siggy pick with the 997, the more I agree with ricker. That car is crying out for black side air intakes...
Black Carbon Fiber my brutha
Old 04-01-2009, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by LZH
No offense to Jay or LZH, but I'll buy it from Jay for $40k & sell it to LZH for $50k

The older 215 CL600 TT even w/Jay's excellent pedigreed version w/great mods isn't fetching North of $40k in this economy/Car market, (unless you find a collector/enthusiast looking for your exact mods etc) the complete redesigned CL216 literally cut the last leg out from under the CL215....You can buy a 215 CL65 AMG for $45-$50k

Good luck w/sale Jay, if I were you I'd just keep it, this current market is UGLY for our used 600/55/65/ect.....
Old 04-01-2009, 06:35 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Thericker
No offense to Jay or LZH, but I'll buy it from Jay for $40k & sell it to LZH for $50k
Yeah, none taken....
I asked simply to establish what he would sell for...clearly he wants to keep it private and I can respect that.
Hell of a nice car for the $$$, GL with the sale.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by LZH
Yeah, none taken....
I asked simply to establish what he would sell for...clearly he wants to keep it private and I can respect that.
Hell of a nice car for the $$$, GL with the sale.
Ahhh got it...I can respect that...
Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 AM

2008 EVO X GSR
Ah! a prius??? Good luck with your sale!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possibly selling my car.....