W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all those with an extra ECU, come inside please...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kleemann S55 AMG
For all those with an extra ECU, come inside please...

How did you guys go about getting an extra ECU married to your 55 cars?
1.) Buy it new, have the dealer marry it
2.) Buy it used, have the dealer marry it
3.) Some other means...

For whatever the respective method, what kind of pricing was involved (mostly interested in the labor charges involved and if it's possible to marry a used ECU).
Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I guess I am the ECU collector here (many tunes etc)

When you order an ECU from the dealer, they need to send your VIN to Germany. They the ECU arrives and I believe it is coded to your VIN. We've had speculation throughout the years whether the ECU could still be mated to another car but the majority of tuners say you can't once Germany enters your VIN on it.

Then you need to have the dealer flash it/mate it to your car. Which any nice dealer can do for you quickly.

What we know right now: ECU's cannot be bought used as they are coded with your VIN from Germany. (well, you can BUY them, they just won't work no matter what you try)

ECU's new from dealer run right around the 2k mark. Reason for differences are they are clearing out some older ones and bringing in newer versions which are more expensive. Think most of the old versions are gone now but ya never know.

Labor should only be one hour as it's just CAKE to flash it. Tech plugs in star, requests SCN coding from Germany, once it comes back, car is flashed and you are done.

Hopes for the future: Hoping for a tuner to come out with a "pocket flasher". A unit that could carry 2-3 tunes on it and you just select one, plug it into OBDII and flash away. Other brand cars use products like this but LOTS of roadblocks from those Germans programming wise.

Keep your fingers crossed. Someone will do it.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Kleemann S55 AMG
Very useful information, thanks! I was asking because I found that part.com had an S55 ECM listed for $1345 and I was wondering if I bought that what I would need to do. I would assume that it comes blank and then the dealer would probably have to send it off to Germany to get it coded, but I'm not exactly sure because I hear Merc is really **** about ECUs these days. I shot an e-mail to parts.com but I expect some $8/hr. salesperson to reply back that they don't know, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
If I am not mistaken renntech has a product which holds a couple of tunes. You can connect it to you OBDII port and transfer the tune over to your ecu.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG **sold** 2005 E55 AMG Take 2
I had heard that LET has a similar remote programmer.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Originally Posted by Jakpro1

Hopes for the future: Hoping for a tuner to come out with a "pocket flasher". A unit that could carry 2-3 tunes on it and you just select one, plug it into OBDII and flash away. Other brand cars use products like this but LOTS of roadblocks from those Germans programming wise.

My understanding is that two tuners are coming out with them. One is Renntech and the other is LET. The Renntech seems to be for the newer ECUs and the LET one seems to be old or new.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I guess I am the ECU collector here (many tunes etc)

When you order an ECU from the dealer, they need to send your VIN to Germany. They the ECU arrives and I believe it is coded to your VIN. We've had speculation throughout the years whether the ECU could still be mated to another car but the majority of tuners say you can't once Germany enters your VIN on it.

Then you need to have the dealer flash it/mate it to your car. Which any nice dealer can do for you quickly.

What we know right now: ECU's cannot be bought used as they are coded with your VIN from Germany. (well, you can BUY them, they just won't work no matter what you try)

ECU's new from dealer run right around the 2k mark. Reason for differences are they are clearing out some older ones and bringing in newer versions which are more expensive. Think most of the old versions are gone now but ya never know.

Labor should only be one hour as it's just CAKE to flash it. Tech plugs in star, requests SCN coding from Germany, once it comes back, car is flashed and you are done.

Jakpro, do you have a part number for any ECU? I need to price one, but having the number would be so much easier.

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2009, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by SLK55R
My understanding is that two tuners are coming out with them. One is Renntech and the other is LET. The Renntech seems to be for the newer ECUs and the LET one seems to be old or new.
Your wish come true... I have the tunning block... Renntech sent it to me. Besides holding tunes it also data logs. You should see the data you can see on your laptop... It's amazing.. I was just on the phone with James from ACG going over a few runs I have recorded on it.. there is nothing you cant see.. FANTASTIC UNIT.. oH, and I have three ECU's

Last edited by rarfinancial; 04-04-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
im sure that any mb dealer can vin code a ecu. they dint send my spear to germany to vin code it, it took them about 10 min to do it at the dealer. maybe it diff for c63.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Renntech only has this available for the 63's..right?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Renntech only has this available for the 63's..right?
Well I'm not sure? It's not out yet, I think I have the first one.. I will call RennTech on Monday and ask .. You will be amazed at the data logging
Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
good for you!

Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Your wish come true... I have the tunning block... Renntech sent it to me. Besides holding tunes it also data logs. You should see the data you can see on your laptop... It's amazing.. I was just on the phone with James from ACG going over a few runs I have recorded on it.. there is nothing you cant see.. FANTASTIC UNIT.. oH, and I have three ECU's
Damn you 63s!!!

They don't have a time frame for the older ecus ... sort of sounded like never to me.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by SLK55R
Damn you 63s!!!

They don't have a time frame for the older ecus ... sort of sounded like never to me.
Oh thats easy to fix, Just get a 63
Old 04-04-2009, 01:45 AM

Kleemann S55 AMG
Originally Posted by mthis
im sure that any mb dealer can vin code a ecu. they dint send my spear to germany to vin code it, it took them about 10 min to do it at the dealer. maybe it diff for c63.
Really? Did you buy the ECU from the dealer or from somewhere else? If you bought it from them are you sure that they didn't order it in specifically for your car/VIN?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by dkinder
Really? Did you buy the ECU from the dealer or from somewhere else? If you bought it from them are you sure that they didn't order it in specifically for your car/VIN?
I also bought two ECU's from my local MBZ dealer and they took care of coding right there inhouse..