Sponsored by:

LOUD supercharger whine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS430
LOUD supercharger whine

I'm betting the intake/airbox is causing this as I know thats what causes it for the C32 and aleksander1099's post confirmed it when he stated after he got his airbox it was louder. What I wonder is why some cars with airbox/intake mods don't sound like another one with it as it whines so loud. From what I seen aleksander1099's and Sleeper X's cars sound so amazing similiar to a Cobra. I love the loud SC whine, What needs to be done to get that sound, just the airbox and intake or are there more mods needed? The airbox aleksander1099 has seems to be discountinued as the company site is down and it i've read that it was just metal wrapped in cf, not true cf. I believe Sleeper X has a Renntech Airbox, any reason why the VRP airbox doesn't help make it so loud and whine as the other 2 airboxes?

Sleeper X:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jxm29vaNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfsrODB3NNE

aleksander1099:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDHKVL0JnmI
Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
My car kinda sounds like aleksanders car. I have 180mm pulley ecu tune and k&n filters. Between 1500 to 2200 rpms at slows speeds my sc makes a whistleing nosie.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
People say I have the whine and that it's loud. I hear it from the inside a bit but I guess it screams on the outside. I do not have an aftermarket airbox btw.

BUT

As of today, I don't really hear the whine anymore. I just hear ALOT of air. Hard to explain. It just sounds like ALOT of air is being sucked in...

Oh and did I mention that it goes like a bat out of hell...
Old 04-04-2009, 12:11 AM

LS430
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
People say I have the whine and that it's loud. I hear it from the inside a bit but I guess it screams on the outside. I do not have an aftermarket airbox btw.

BUT

As of today, I don't really hear the whine anymore. I just hear ALOT of air. Hard to explain. It just sounds like ALOT of air is being sucked in...

Oh and did I mention that it goes like a bat out of hell...

What are your mods and do you you have any pull videos and flybys bro? Very clean looking E55 btw, I love the sig. I bet nothing can't beat rolling up to some cars, dropping the hammer and they have the WTF look as how in the world can a "slow" "mature" E-Class pull away so hard and sound so mean.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by E55AMGFan
What are your mods and do you you have any pull videos and flybys bro? Very clean looking E55 btw, I love the sig. I bet nothing can't beat rolling up to some cars, dropping the hammer and they have the WTF look as how in the world can a "slow" "mature" E-Class pull away so hard and sound so mean.
Check yer pm's
Old 04-04-2009, 12:35 AM

LS430
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Check yer pm's

Replied
Old 04-05-2009, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I'm betting the intake/airbox is causing this as I know thats what causes it for the C32 and aleksander1099's post confirmed it when he stated after he got his airbox it was louder. What I wonder is why some cars with airbox/intake mods don't sound like another one with it as it whines so loud. From what I seen aleksander1099's and Sleeper X's cars sound so amazing similiar to a Cobra. I love the loud SC whine, What needs to be done to get that sound, just the airbox and intake or are there more mods needed? The airbox aleksander1099 has seems to be discountinued as the company site is down and it i've read that it was just metal wrapped in cf, not true cf. I believe Sleeper X has a Renntech Airbox, any reason why the VRP airbox doesn't help make it so loud and whine as the other 2 airboxes?

Sleeper X:

aleksander1099:
I too LOVE Supercharger Whine I raced a Maggie MP112 Supercharged 2006 C6 Corvette w/Longtubes ect...vs my current SL600

Before I sold my 05' C6 Vette I was right in-line to get the Maggie, their whine is awesome Chk these vidz out.. I may have to pick one up again..I don't know why the whine is so much more pronounced than others..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqF8e...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bmPx...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mp0e...eature=related

Lastly chk this sick burnout, look @ the smoking piles of rubber near end of vid....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKf7guyZHCA

Last edited by Thericker; 04-05-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:50 AM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Needswings Intake

It's all in the CAI, Needwings designed one for us with the filter out front. It not only made the supercharge whine more pronounce but dropped my 1/4 mile times by a half second.

Here's one of my vids

Needswings Supercharger Whine
Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by cruzinquick
It's all in the CAI, Needwings designed one for us with the filter out front. It not only made the supercharge whine more pronounce but dropped my 1/4 mile times by a half second.

Here's one of my vids

That's perfect! you got that Maggie whine You say CAI Needwings designed for you also dropped your 1/4 by a half second!!! you realize that's equivalent to roughly 50HP
Old 04-05-2009, 01:25 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Originally Posted by Thericker
That's perfect! you got that Maggie whine You say CAI Needwings designed for you also dropped your 1/4 by a half second!!! you realize that's equivalent to roughly 50HP
Yep. Look at my sig. Stock lot's of passes in the winter (our good weather) got me a best of 13.26, a week after installing my NW intake ran a best of 12.76. At this time both runs were on stock tires and no tune just the intake.

Your car may have enough room for a design. I know he was r&d one for the SL55amg have to ask on the progress. He dyno'd at like 28 rwhp, i think the dyno's are on his website. I tell everyone these CAI are the only true cold air because of being in front of the radiator. You can see in my vid that I take off my grill (4 bolts) for more cold air. It has proven to shave a tenth off my time. If dyno's could show when the car is on a 1/4 mile pass it would show a bigger gain because of the increased air flow.

All my runs to date are on stock cooling, plugs, and exhaust.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM

LS430
Originally Posted by Thericker
I too LOVE Supercharger Whine I raced a Maggie MP112 Supercharged 2006 C6 Corvette w/Longtubes ect...vs my current SL600

Before I sold my 05' C6 Vette I was right in-line to get the Maggie, their whine is awesome Chk these vidz out.. I may have to pick one up again..I don't know why the whine is so much more pronounced than others..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqF8e...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bmPx...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mp0e...eature=related

Lastly chk this sick burnout, look @ the smoking piles of rubber near end of vid....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKf7guyZHCA
Nice set of links! I do love the whine but what you have is even more insane as I love your car and it's setup. You have the stealth bombing torque that barely flexes and sweat and yet devours cars for snacks and belches it out of your exhaust pipes up back.

The 6.0 V12 TT engine is insane and I saw pics of your car before and it's one evil looking monster that seems to be lurking in the shadows for lunch to come passing by and expecting to pull away, sadly for them they don't know what kind of setup you're packing.

Since the SC cars love the whine I wonder if the V12 TT boys can get some turbo whistle/spooling sounds out of their beasts.

Last edited by E55AMGFan; 04-05-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:40 PM

LS430

Here's one of my vids

Ahh I know you as well, I saw you in the C32 AMG section and on another SRT6 boards I believe. The SRT6 gets respect from me as I don't like many Chryslers/Dodges at all. You however got a car that was boosted and has more than formidable power out the factory. I love that everyone lies and underates the engines and power numbers. That whine is to die for and I recall hearing it out of the C32 with the Code 3 intake/filters. Will needswings ever make one for the 55K engine so everyone can smile when they romp on the throttle?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:53 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Ahh I know you as well, I saw you in the C32 AMG section and on another SRT6 boards I believe. The SRT6 gets respect from me as I don't like many Chryslers/Dodges at all. You however got a car that was boosted and has more than formidable power out the factory. I love that everyone lies and underates the engines and power numbers. That whine is to die for and I recall hearing it out of the C32 with the Code 3 intake/filters. Will needswings ever make one for the 55K engine so everyone can smile when they romp on the throttle?
In the works, he tests more than any vendor I know. So when it is ready I'll let you all know. Again I do believe it's being tested now. Stay tuned.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:58 PM

LS430
In the works, he tests more than any vendor I know. So when it is ready I'll let you all know. Again I do believe it's being tested now. Stay tuned.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Nice set of links! I do love the whine but what you have is even more insane as I love your car and it's setup. You have the stealth bombing torque that barely flexes and sweat and yet devours cars for snacks and belches it out of your exhaust pipes up back.

The 6.0 V12 TT engine is insane and I saw pics of your car before and it's one evil looking monster that seems to be lurking in the shadows for lunch to come passing by and expecting to pull away, sadly for them they don't know what kind of setup you're packing.

Since the SC cars love the whine I wonder if the V12 TT boys can get some turbo whistle/spooling sounds out of their beasts.
Glad you liked them, thanks for the comments tho my SL600 is 5.5 liters the 65 version carries the 6.0 liter. Both are potent out've the box but down right lethal w/ECU/TCU Tuning mine VERY SOON

After straight pipe mod, you can indeed hear the wastegates opening & closing now @ slow speeds it is subtle I'm betting w/Cat delete it should be much more pronounced...
Old 04-06-2009, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
heres mine, the whine is pretty loud...all I have is an exhaust....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvWiNkJX2dg

....yes my friends were HIGH
Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 PM

LS430
Yours whines big time as well. Did you remove the resonators as well? Great color choice as well!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes

Sleeper X:

aleksander1099:
Glad you like the way it sounds!

You can make your own intake with some aluminum tubing and a couple silicone hoses to achieve the same sound.

My intake has two cone filters compared to the drop in K&N's and I think that is what contributes to the sound.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 PM

LS430
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099

You can make your own intake with some aluminum tubing and a couple silicone hoses to achieve the same sound.

My intake has two cone filters compared to the drop in K&N's and I think that is what contributes to the sound.

I've read up on the ICE-Tuning intake but it seems like the company shutdown. I don't understand how the VRP Airbox doesn't get this sound, it seems like the Renntech airbox does get it since Sleeper X I believe runs Renntech mods which includes the Renntech filters/airbox.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099

do you have a pic of your intake setup.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
what happened to the ICE-Tuning Intakes?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Originally Posted by shardul
+1

Would like to see this setup as well. Seems easy to build, though am curious if it would increase IATs as the conical filters would be soaking up heat from the engine compartment.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:00 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by shardul
search function is your friend

Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
i am thinking of doing a custom intake setup by replacing stock airbox with two 3" pipes, similar to vrp, except not to lead the pipes all the way to the front like vrp and just leave the filters in the same location as pictured above with all the fance CF. i want that whine!!!

Last edited by prodigymb; 04-06-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 PM

nascar
Originally Posted by prodigymb
i am thinking of doing a custom intake setup by replacing stock airbox with two 3" pipes, similar to vrp, except not to lead the pipes all the way to the front like vrp and just leave the filters in the same location as pictured above with all the fance CF. i want that whine!!!
what are the pros/cons of leading the pipes all the way to the front as opposed to that pic?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LOUD supercharger whine