W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dot 4 Plus; Bleeding brakes w/o SBC

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Nissan 370z Sport; 2005 AMG E55; 2005 Subaru Legacy GT LMT; 2004 Honda Element EX
Dot 4 Plus; Bleeding brakes w/o SBC

Ok,..

This is my first time doing maintanance work on my 05 W211 as I put in new EBC Red Pads in and I need to bleed the brakes..Ive done my Suby's Brembos many times, so pad swap was a breeze for the E55.

I searched the threads and didnt come up with an answer as I finally went to the dealership and dropped $53 on 2 bottles of Brake fluid..yes,..$53 bucks... Also, having more electronics I have more questions...

From what I was told at the parts desk, I could use any Dot 4, but Im assuming MB Fluid is in my resevoir now, and not sure if I can mix any DOT 4 fluid in as I dont know exactly what chemical compounds are in the MB Dot 4 Plus. I would like to flush and refill with my Motul RBF 600 or other, but I dont know if MB requires it necessary to have MB Dot 4 Plus to work with the braking system. And, the MB fluid has a boiling pt of only 356 Degrees. So my question is, has anyone mixed brake fluids or OTHER than MB Brake fluid?

2nd question is, I gotta bleed my brakes. After disconnecting the SBC, can I turn the key to the ON position to begin bleeding the brakes so there is power to assist (so the pedal can move more freely to the floor while bleeding)??? Or do you bleed the brakes without the key in the ON position as that might mess up the SBC or throw a heck of a lot of error codes on the dash?

Sorry for my questions, but I havent found any answer in any of the threads Ive read so far.. Thanks for any help!!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
DOT 4 is the same DOT 4 at MB. You can get it at PEP Boys for about $5.00.

BTW...
You may wish to get a on line subscription to

www.alldatadiy.com

All repair info about your MB. I find it very usefull.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:07 AM

2009 Nissan 370z Sport; 2005 AMG E55; 2005 Subaru Legacy GT LMT; 2004 Honda Element EX
I'll pass on the DIY link as I have an extended warranty and that I can look up on the web for maintanance items....

I had to ask on these forums to find out for sure that the chemicals in MB Dot 4 would be compatible with any DOT 4 fluid.

So far, I guess I can do a manual or pressure bleed after disconnecting the SBC. With a manual bleed, is it ok to put the car in the ON position for power assist, or should I leave the key out?

Originally Posted by m_berman
DOT 4 is the same DOT 4 at MB. You can get it at PEP Boys for about $5.00.

BTW...
You may wish to get a on line subscription to

www.alldatadiy.com

All repair info about your MB. I find it very usefull.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
FYI, I tried it with the Star SDS computer 2 weeks ago and I couldn't get any fluid to come out, it just drips. Then I tried to manual bleed and still nothing came out! I too have 2 bottles of MB DOT4s just sitting in the garage.

Let's posts FYIs if anyone knows... ?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
There is a reason that MB specified DOT 4+. It's the SBC unit, which requires a higher grade brake fluid than DOT 4 for viscosity reasons. DOT 4 runs a very good risk of damaging the SBC unit over time. Use ONLY DOT 4+ or equivalent.

Bleeding the brakes without using a Star system is doable, but not preferred because it will only be a partial bleed. The Star system operates a variety of values in the SBC unit during its bleed sequence. Any other form of bleeding, including the procedure described below, is less than a complete bleed. In order to do a bleed without Star, you need a Motive pressure bleeder in order to apply positive pressure at the brake fluid reservoir. They are available online from many sources and run about $69 or so.

Procedure:

Unplug the SBC control unit. To be double safe, you can also disconnect the ground from the batter in the trunk.

Note: Some recommend using a baster to suction out as much old fluid from the reservoir as possible before starting the bleed. This is a good idea, but make sure that no air is allowed to be introduced to the system. Then top the reservoir back up with fresh fluid.

1. Fill Motive bleeder with two liters of MB DOT 4+ brake fluid.
2. Attach pressure cap to reservoir and pump up bleeder to 2 bar pressure and confirm bleeder cap holds the pressure. If it does, pump up the bleeder to 2.2 bar and begin bleeding.
3. Caliper sequence is RR, LR, LF RF (RF is last since it is nearest the SBC unit).
4. Attach catch bottle to RR bleeder and then open bleeder. Allow fluid to run until its clear and free of bubbles. Close bleeder screw and move catch bottle to LR.
5. Recheck the pressure on the bleeder and pump back up as necessary.
6. Repeat the procedure at each corner in the sequence mention above.
7. On the factory front calipers, there are two bleed screws. Do the outer bleeders first.
8. Once you've bled each caliper, release the pressure on the bleeder, top up the reservoir to the fill line as needed.

It is not necessary at all to pump the brake pedal if you use a Motive bleeder, and it is a one-man job. Follow the above procedure at your own risk, but it's what I did when I bled my brakes and I got no SBC warnings, and have a very nice, firm pedal.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by komp55
There is a reason that MB specified DOT 4+. It's the SBC unit, which requires a higher grade brake fluid than DOT 4 for viscosity reasons. DOT 4 runs a very good risk of damaging the SBC unit over time. Use ONLY DOT 4+ or equivalent.

Bleeding the brakes without using a Star system is doable, but not preferred because it will only be a partial bleed. The Star system operates a variety of values in the SBC unit during its bleed sequence. Any other form of bleeding, including the procedure described below, is less than a complete bleed. In order to do a bleed without Star, you need a Motive pressure bleeder in order to apply positive pressure at the brake fluid reservoir. They are available online from many sources and run about $69 or so.

Procedure:

Unplug the SBC control unit. To be double safe, you can also disconnect the ground from the batter in the trunk.

Note: Some recommend using a baster to suction out as much old fluid from the reservoir as possible before starting the bleed. This is a good idea, but make sure that no air is allowed to be introduced to the system. Then top the reservoir back up with fresh fluid.

2. Attach pressure cap to reservoir and pump up bleeder to 2 bar pressure and confirm bleeder cap holds the pressure. If it does, pump up the bleeder to 2.2 bar and begin bleeding.
3. Caliper sequence is RR, LR, LF RF (RF is last since it is nearest the SBC unit).
4. Attach catch bottle to RR bleeder and then open bleeder. Allow fluid to run until its clear and free of bubbles. Close bleeder screw and move catch bottle to LR.
7. On the factory front calipers, there are two bleed screws. Do the outer bleeders first.
8. Once you've bled each caliper, release the pressure on the bleeder, top up the reservoir to the fill line as needed.

It is not necessary at all to pump the brake pedal if you use a Motive bleeder, and it is a one-man job. Follow the above procedure at your own risk, but it's what I did when I bled my brakes and I got no SBC warnings, and have a very nice, firm pedal.

This is the only way to bleed your brakes without the SDS tool.

The brake pedal is actually just a electronic signal to the SBC, and is not a hydraulic pedal like most other vehicles. You can pump the brake pedal all you want however it will not push the brake fluid out with the SBC unplugged.

If you have the SDS then there is a brake bleeding process on it, however it also requires a pressure bleeder to be attached to the reservoir.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the info,..I am clear on the DOT 4 Plus as its more than wet boiling points, but what is compatible with the SBC unit..

Also, I will do my first Motive pressure bleed. I wanted to bleed the system as when I put new pads in, I had to open the nipples so that I could push the pistons in. I lost a lot of fluid and need to top off the resevoir, but not sure if there is air in the system now. I have a Motive Pressure Bleeder, but not sure if the cap will fit my MB as I bought the set for my Subaru. I will take note and try it this week. Thanks all!!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Please don't use DOT 4 in SBC Use the DOT 4+ as in previous post. If you use the 4 and have failure of SBC I am sure your 10 yr warranty will be void!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:30 PM

E320 CDI
Has anyone have experience with using Power Bleeder with SDS? I have a clone SDS. From the DAS simulation, it seems like you can hook up the power bleeder to the reservoir and SDS will force the fluid out on each brake.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
There is no way to bleed SBC with out STAR.
http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdf...%209-30-02.pdf
Page 34
And use only MB DOT 4 Plus.
abakja1 any claim that bleeding is possible with out the SBC powered up and STAR/SDS connected is incorrect.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 PM

E320 CDI
What are the steps to bleed sbc with SDS? Do you need a MB pressure bleeder?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 AM

211 E 500
Thank you komp55 for such a detailed information!!! I followed step by step and it worked like wonders.

Originally Posted by komp55

Procedure:

Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I have the Motive power bleeders in stock. We are selling them for $50.00 and I can get them out right away. I also have stainless steel brake line kits if you are interested in stock and we are selling those for $150.00 for a set. If you need any fluid we sell it at $15/liter.

Let me know if any of you guys need anything. I will be happy to help in any way that I can.

thanks-
-craig
Old 12-31-2022, 09:03 PM

E350 W211 2007
Exclamation Bleeding brakes without STAR

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
There is no way to bleed SBC with out STAR.
http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdf...%209-30-02.pdf
Page 34
And use only MB DOT 4 Plus.
abakja1 any claim that bleeding is possible with out the SBC powered up and STAR/SDS connected is incorrect.
This is not true. Just did it on a W211 2007 with power motive pressure bleeder (could be done with any pressure set up).
1) Disconnect battery (not even sure I had to do this)
2) Pressurize system with pressure bleeding setup to 15 - 20 PSI
3) Bleed in the traditional way (meaning have assistant pump the brakes and crack the bleeders)

Works great, cost $50 USD for the pressure set up (you could cobble one together for way less if you needed to). This was after needing to replace a bunch of rusted out lines. There was air in the SBC module, lines and calipers. Still worked fine. It did require about 1.5L of brake fluid. It did not require any scan tool let alone the STAR. No codes after the fact and brakes feel great!
Happy to answer questions if this isn't clear!
Old 01-01-2023, 06:03 AM

Received 157 Likes on 95 Posts
W211 E220, W211 E55, W219 CLS 500
Originally Posted by Benw211
This is not true. Just did it on a W211 2007 with power motive pressure bleeder (could be done with any pressure set up).
1) Disconnect battery (not even sure I had to do this)
2) Pressurize system with pressure bleeding setup to 15 - 20 PSI
3) Bleed in the traditional way (meaning have assistant pump the brakes and crack the bleeders)

Works great, cost $50 USD for the pressure set up (you could cobble one together for way less if you needed to). This was after needing to replace a bunch of rusted out lines. There was air in the SBC module, lines and calipers. Still worked fine. It did require about 1.5L of brake fluid. It did not require any scan tool let alone the STAR. No codes after the fact and brakes feel great!
Happy to answer questions if this isn't clear!
W211 2007 doesn't have sbc...
Old 01-02-2023, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
This is true, the 07-09 W211 E63 have a traditional braking system, and is not augmented by SBC electronics like the W211 E55's.
So, you can easily use a power bleeder, or have someone sit in the car and pump the brakes. Your choice. But the E55's braking system is a whole different animal.
The following users liked this post:
UncleBenz55 (01-02-2023)