W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP...License Plate Stolen!!!Locking License Plate Screws / License Plate Body Panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
HELP...License Plate Stolen!!!Locking License Plate Screws / License Plate Body Panel

My brother's rear license plate was stolen. I'd rather not have it happen to me.

I'm looking for locking license plate screws for the rear. Does anyone know where to get them and what size they are? TIA!!!

Also, does anyone know how to remove the body panel (lower half of the trunk lid) to get to the nut that holds the license plate. My screws aren't holding all that well. It may be partially stripped...I don't want to torque it down. I know I have to remove the inner felt panel inside of the trunklid. That's easy enough. I noticed that there are three bolts that may be holding that panel down. Any other hidden fasteners. Perhaps those who have done the Euro license plate mod can shed some light? Thanks again.

Last edited by aganzon; 05-06-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:46 PM

05 C55
Originally Posted by aganzon
My brother's rear license plate was stolen. I'd rather not have it happen to me.

I'm looking for locking license plate screws for the rear. Does anyone know where to get them and what size they are? TIA!!!

Also, does anyone know how to remove the body panel (lower half of the trunk lid) to get to the nut that holds the license plate. My screws aren't holding all that well. It may be partially stripped...I don't want to torque it down. I know I have to remove the inner felt panel inside of the trunklid. That's easy enough. I noticed that there are three bolts that may be holding that panel down. Any other hidden fasteners. Perhaps those who have done the Euro license plate mod can shed some light? Thanks again.

ive been using pop rivets for years. i was always afraid someone would take the car and switch plates while they made a get away. unless theyre packing a dewalt, mine isnt coming off.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E63 AMG / 07 C230 / 14 E350
Im sure you can find a star type screws at any hardware store. Just to make sure they are the same size as the OEM type. I have a set if you like, I can mail them to you..
Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Use Torx head screws. If you are really worried, your local fastener supply house will sell security bit screws in torx or allen that have a pin in the center. You will need a special bit that they should also have.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
use one way screw heads . So they can just rip it off the car
Old 05-07-2009, 09:03 PM

2006 E55AMG
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Use Torx head screws. If you are really worried, your local fastener supply house will sell security bit screws in torx or allen that have a pin in the center. You will need a special bit that they should also have.
I agree, these are the best option I've seen for preventing general plate theft, but anyone who really is into getting plates is probably packing these "special" bits/allens with holes in the center where the pin fits. One ways will def work, but plan on keeping the car for a long time, unless you want to drill or, like, vice-grip the screws out.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Thanks Everyone

Thank you everyone! Why didn't I think of the local fastener shop!!

I'll call a shop for the special torx screw and bit. If that doesn't pan out, I'll use a one-way screw. Thanks again.

Anyone tried removing the lower trunk panel? I noticed that it had three screws that held it in. However, after removing the 3 screws and as I started to pull the lower trunk panel off, I notived that the lower edge is maybe held on with adhesives? Maybe some of you who's done the euro plate mod can help? TIA!
Old 09-06-2018, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Delete
Old 06-03-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I have a 2017 CLS550 and I never wanted to put a front plate on although I know it is a requirement here in Texas. I just chanced it and a few months after I bought the car a trooper pulled me over. All he did is give me a warning ticket so I was lucky - but learned my lesson. Next time I might not be so lucky so I took it to the dealer and told them to put it on according to protocol. It looks okay and I will trade it here in Texas most likely so it will always look the same for the life of the car.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Originally Posted by shortspark
I have a 2017 CLS550 and I never wanted to put a front plate on although I know it is a requirement here in Texas. I just chanced it and a few months after I bought the car a trooper pulled me over. All he did is give me a warning ticket so I was lucky - but learned my lesson. Next time I might not be so lucky so I took it to the dealer and told them to put it on according to protocol. It looks okay and I will trade it here in Texas most likely so it will always look the same for the life of the car.
I used double stick tape and silicone for insurance with the factory mounting bracket. Didn't want to drill a pristine bumper.