W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Intercooler - Bleeding Air Out

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
New Intercooler - Bleeding Air Out

Code 3 unit....
Could someone please tell me how to bleed air out of the lines/system ?
Thanks in advance.....
Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Code 3 unit....
Could someone please tell me how to bleed air out of the lines/system ?
Thanks in advance.....
There is a rubber cap over a nipple on one of the intercooler lines. Remove the front engine cover and you'll see it. Connect a piece of hose(clear works best) to the nipple and start the car/connect the pump to 12 volts, whatever you need to do to get the pump to run. When there are no more bubbles coming out it's bled. When I installed my CM30 I bled it twice a couple days apart, just to make sure.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by izzyz28
There is a rubber cap over a nipple on one of the intercooler lines. Remove the front engine cover and you'll see it. Connect a piece of hose(clear works best) to the nipple and start the car/connect the pump to 12 volts, whatever you need to do to get the pump to run. When there are no more bubbles coming out it's bled. When I installed my CM30 I bled it twice a couple days apart, just to make sure.
well said, it will only take a minute or 2 to bleed the whole system
Old 05-10-2009, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by shardul
well said, it will only take a minute or 2 to bleed the whole system
I actually let mine run for 10 minutes or so the last time a bleed it and also tapped the lines with a plastic screwdriver handle. It kept purging small air bubbles for quite a while as opposed to belching out a couple of large ones.

This is a major disadvantage of the closed circuit IC cooling system in the E55. All other blown AMG cars self bleed the IC system by actively circulating the IC and engine cooling circuits to the coolant reservoir. The downside with that is raised temps in the IC cooling circuit. You can't win.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by izzyz28
i never did this when i installed mine....whats the best way to turn on the pump manually...besides climbing underneath the car?
Old 05-16-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by alltrac
i never did this when i installed mine....whats the best way to turn on the pump manually...besides climbing underneath the car?
You'll have to climb under the car if you want to turn it on manually. As far as I know the IC pump is on all the time except for cold starts, so I drove around for a while, turned the car off, installed the hose, and started the car. If you want to make sure it's running, slowly slip the hose off while the engine is running and you'll see a decent amount of coolant coming out. Remember, it's a closed system(non-pressurized), so you will NOT see coolant shooting out the end of the hose. It simply flows through the circuit and the hose is simply used to raise the level of the bleeder slightly.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:08 PM

2004 E55
ok...i see...but then when the coolant flows out, how do you refill? I didnt do the install myself...i just watched, but i know the air bleeding wasnt done.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:47 AM

2004 E55
ok...i see...but then when the coolant flows out, how do you refill? I didnt do the install myself...i just watched, but i know the air bleeding wasnt done.
anyone?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
anyone?
to refill you just add some to the reservoir. take that cap off and run a clear hose to the reservoir, poer up the pump and watch it flow. you shouldnt lose much coolant in this process, just a bit that will come out when you take the cap off. you can also put a vice grip right below that bleed nipple to circulate all of the coolant in the system out into the reservoir......that is what mercedes dealer system advises.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by prodigymb
to refill you just add some to the reservoir. take that cap off and run a clear hose to the reservoir, poer up the pump and watch it flow. you shouldnt lose much coolant in this process, just a bit that will come out when you take the cap off. you can also put a vice grip right below that bleed nipple to circulate all of the coolant in the system out into the reservoir......that is what mercedes dealer system advises.
u are talking about the regular coolant reservoir....correct? Where is this bleed valve u talk about?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

u are talking about the regular coolant reservoir....correct? Where is this bleed valve u talk about?
if you are looking under your hood...
passenger side, in front of the supercharger. there are two hard metal lines right next to each other, one has a rubber cap on it with a clamp. that is the bleed nipple, uncap it and put a clear hose on it, route the hose to the expansion tank. use a vice grip to block off the rubber hose right after the bleed nipple, power up the pump and you will see coolant flowing to the expansion tank.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
I actually let mine run for 10 minutes or so the last time a bleed it and also tapped the lines with a plastic screwdriver handle. It kept purging small air bubbles for quite a while as opposed to belching out a couple of large ones.

This is a major disadvantage of the closed circuit IC cooling system in the E55. All other blown AMG cars self bleed the IC system by actively circulating the IC and engine cooling circuits to the coolant reservoir. The downside with that is raised temps in the IC cooling circuit. You can't win.
you r right..

i have switched my HE twice and tested IAT's for 2 summer now. The best way I found to bleed the system was to turn on the heater A/C and let it run while driving on the freeway for a few minutes.... this way the coolant and IC system and A/C HE all get to mix and end up at the reservoir.

I have not separated my IC system from my coolant lines.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TopGun32
you r right..

i have switched my HE twice and tested IAT's for 2 summer now. The best way I found to bleed the system was to turn on the heater A/C and let it run while driving on the freeway for a few minutes.... this way the coolant and IC system and A/C HE all get to mix and end up at the reservoir.

I have not separated my IC system from my coolant lines.
A/C ?

You run the heater or the air conditioner?