LET dyno results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
LET dyno results

I didn't feel like typing in all the info again so here's the link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...16-09-a-3.html

Keep in mind that Zoink and myself had some pretty bad conditions. The heat was almost unbearable, both in the shop and outside but still turned out to be okay. At one point it must have been in the 100's inside that shop.

Thanks again LET and I know it must have been very frustrating given the conditions you had to work with.

Last edited by bassn_07; 05-17-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
OK.... as promised. First of all, thanks to Tony & Jerry for a job well done. I hope you could revisit my tune again in Oct/Nov since it should be much cooler than yesterday.

Second of all, I'll keep you guys judge the gains as there are many variables involved:
- Dyno: 1st chart is dynojet; 2nd chart is dynomite (Land & Sea) - could show 10-15% lower numbers
- Temp: 1st chart is mid-70's; 2nd chart is 95-100*F
- RH: 1st chart is around 50-60%; 2nd chart is around 35-45%.
- Wheels: 1st chart is 18" stockers; 2nd chart is 20" VIP Modular VR05 (from info I've gathered so far, 20" may rob about 10-20whp ).

To summarize:
- Stock: 407.2 whp & 459.8 wtq (hot run - 2nd run)
- Evotech box tune + 168mm RT pulley: 371.6 whp & 416.1 wtq (may be hot run - 1st run)
- LET custom tune + 168mm RT pulley: 395.8 whp & 434.1 wtq (3rd run of the day... 1st to 2nd was about 20-min cool down; 2nd to 3rd was about 10-min cool down).

What made me happy:
See the gains across RPM and see how much safer A/F ratio is right now compared to Evotech - assuming ECU didn't dump more fuels due to presumably higher IAT in 3rd run (2nd run w/ LET tune).

Couple speculations:
Assuming dynomite shows ~15% lower number than dynojet... translating the above numbers to dynojet numbers:

Evotech = 437.2 whp & 489.5 wtq. Considering heavier wheels & a lot higher temp, I think Evotech gave me decent gains (+30whp & +30wtq over stock). A/F is a little leaner than stock (if my eyes serve me right).

LET = 465.6 whp & 510.7 (+28whp & +21whp over Evotech... or... +58whp & +51wtq over stock). Considering heavier wheels & a lot higher temp over stock dyno, LET gives me crazy gains for stage 1 w/ safe A/F.

My questions to all expert members here...
Looking at my current A/F, would it still be on the safe side in "cold" winter time? "Cold" in norcal = 40*F

Stock Dyno - Dynojet @ mid-70's temp & 50-60%RH - stock wheels

Last dyno... - Dynomite @ 95-100*F & 35-45%RH - 20" wheels
Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
How did you get your dyno sheets so quick?

You definitely have a very strong beast putting down numbers like that. Your only 12 rwhp off from Azipod's stage II and you ran in much warmer temperatures . I think you still have more in it and I'm sure LET will take care of you the next time down.

My tune definitely needs some more fine tweaking but we'll see if they could get more out of her. The next time I have my car dyno tuned I'm going to have a bung installed above my race cats to get a true A/F reading. With race cats I'm probably losing 1/2 point or so on my A/F. I would've had it done this time around but I dropped the ball.

Last edited by bassn_07; 05-17-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bassn_07
How did you get your dyno sheets so quick?
I'm special...
Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You definitely have a very strong beast putting down numbers like that. Your only 12 rwhp off from Azipod's stage II and you ran in much warmer temperatures . I think you still have more in it and I'm sure LET will take care of you the next time down.

My tune definitely needs some more fine tweaking but we'll see if they could get more out of her. The next time I have my car dyno tuned I'm going to have a bung installed above my race cats to get a true A/F reading. With race cats I'm probably losing 1/2 point or so on my A/F. I would've had it done this time around but I dropped the ball.
I'm not sure Azipod is stage II. Does he have a header? It's not listed in his sig.

Either way, I think my beast is just average... not super strong, not weak either... overall, I'm happy that she hasn't given me any expensive problems.

For stage 2, IMO, Azipod's rwhp is too low... rwtq seems reasonable... something happened in the upper end. Considering the torque, he should've gotten around 430-440ish. Quite reasonable difference (40-60) considering larger pulley, header, wheels, temp and mileage difference.

I'll let Azipod and/or LET chime in... I unfortunately didn't see his dyno screens... so no clue what went on (as if I had a clue if I did )
Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
...The next time I have my car dyno tuned I'm going to have a bung installed above my race cats to get a true A/F reading...
you're new lt headers should already have bungs in place (but ask chris to be sure).
Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 AM

W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
Originally Posted by zoink
I'm not sure Azipod is stage II. Does he have a header? It's not listed in his sig.

Either way, I think my beast is just average... not super strong, not weak either... overall, I'm happy that she hasn't given me any expensive problems.

For stage 2, IMO, Azipod's rwhp is too low... rwtq seems reasonable... something happened in the upper end. Considering the torque, he should've gotten around 430-440ish. Quite reasonable difference (40-60) considering larger pulley, header, wheels, temp and mileage difference.

I'll let Azipod and/or LET chime in... I unfortunately didn't see his dyno screens... so no clue what went on (as if I had a clue if I did )
Azipod does not have headers. Yeah, my HP seems low. I don't know why. Jerry told me to get some K&N, he thinks it struggling for air up top.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by AZIPOD
Azipod does not have headers. Yeah, my HP seems low. I don't know why. Jerry told me to get some K&N, he thinks it struggling for air up top.
don't even worry about it.....on a 100 degree day you are not going to see good numbers. just like you wouldnt see good time on the drag strip on a 100 degree day......i could only imagine how bad the heat soak was.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So you're stage 1.... this means, IMO, your whp looks right and your torque is crazy high. You are only 25 wtq shy from bassn's stage 3. But once again, it could be because of the heat....

If your hp is the one that's abnormal, I start to wonder how my dyno would've looked like if I got tuned at the same time.... would've it been closer to yours or the same as what I actually got? Just want to make sure nothing's wrong w/ my car.... particularly on cooling.

From what I gathered, bigger size pulley and smaller wheels would "only" give about 30whp advantage. Assuming no heat soak factor.

But again, 497 wtq?? If the reading was 10-15% lower than dynojet, that would mean 552-585 wtq on dynojet? I think that's crazy high for stage 1, right?

Or may be your beast's engine has transformed to diesel.... low hp, high torque

I hope Jerry would be able to chime in...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did you check your air filter? Could be dirty....
Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Looks like a good tune day with favorable results, given the challenging conditions. One observation, as is typically mentioned - dynos are great for monitoring performance gains, assuming you repeatedly visit the same dyno (at the very least, same brand/type) and ideally have the same operator.

That said, you can't really say "hey, X dyno typically reads (insert percentage here) lower than Y dyno, so my car's making ____ equivalent rwhp/rwtq" - for one thing, the percentage used is all over the map depending on who you ask; additionally, different cars may find different results for their own situation. Bottomline, looks like good results from the Land & Sea dyno... but if you want to know what your car puts down on a DJ dyno, there's only one true way to find out - run on one and keep us posted!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:55 PM

W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
Originally Posted by zoink
So you're stage 1.... this means, IMO, your whp looks right and your torque is crazy high. You are only 25 wtq shy from bassn's stage 3. But once again, it could be because of the heat....

If your hp is the one that's abnormal, I start to wonder how my dyno would've looked like if I got tuned at the same time.... would've it been closer to yours or the same as what I actually got? Just want to make sure nothing's wrong w/ my car.... particularly on cooling.

From what I gathered, bigger size pulley and smaller wheels would "only" give about 30whp advantage. Assuming no heat soak factor.

But again, 497 wtq?? If the reading was 10-15% lower than dynojet, that would mean 552-585 wtq on dynojet? I think that's crazy high for stage 1, right?

Or may be your beast's engine has transformed to diesel.... low hp, high torque

I hope Jerry would be able to chime in...
Per Jerry, I am a "stage-2!"

Jerry says stage-1 is a ECU reflash. And Stage-2 is when he modifieds the stage-1 to your specific car. I guess all of us has a stage-2.

My air filters are new. No biggie on the HP.

What I am more interested in is finding a a shop in the Bay Area with a DynoJet so I see if I can get some higher official figures.

Any ideas?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
too bad you guys could not do baseline and modded dyno's at the same shop. Also the dyno should be SAE corrected taking AWAY weather conditions (temp) .

There should be a correction factor on all your dyno's , when tuning you need to eliminate weather as a variable.

It looks like the first chart Zoink posted is SAE corrected yet the other two numbers are not , very very difficult to compare the two charts because of this
Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by juicee63
too bad you guys could not do baseline and modded dyno's at the same shop. Also the dyno should be SAE corrected taking AWAY weather conditions (temp) .

There should be a correction factor on all your dyno's , when tuning you need to eliminate weather as a variable.

It looks like the first chart Zoink posted is SAE corrected yet the other two numbers are not , very very difficult to compare the two charts because of this
Yes, that's why I speculated But my guess in terms of the gains over stock should likely be on the lower side given much worse condition & bigger wheels. And yet, the numbers are good enough to make me happy

Too bad I didn't do Evotech stage 1 on dynojet... if I did, that should've more or less connected the dot (but still using assumption that my car's condition between then and now is the same).

I'll have LET revisit my tune in the fall... we'll see.

But from all of these, I'm curious w/ the followings:

- Would my A/F ratio change significantly in a lot cooler day? My concern is surrounding the possibility that the 2nd chart shows A/F ratio when the ECU dumped fuel... so when it's not, would it still be that low or at least still in the safe range? Either way, compared to Evotech, my A/F is safer no matter what... so in short, my question, is it safe enough?

- My torque vs. Azipod's torque is way different.... Would temp, wheels and pulley size be enough to explain the difference? If so, which one plays the biggest role?
I'm not trying to be number 1 but just want to understand what caused the big gap. Keep in mind that Azipod's torque is only 25 lower than bassn's. That's stage 1 (Azipod) vs. stage 3 (bassn's) with same pulley. Other not-so-quantifiable factors are wheels (bassn's HRE & evo rotors should be ~15-20lbs lighter per corner than Azipod's) & temp (bassn ran ~20-30*F higher than Azipod).
So if I infer all of these and assume all cars (Azipod's, bassn's and mine) are as healthy, heat seems to be the biggest factor... meaning my and bassn's numbers would've been 20-30 higher if temp were the same. Then it would all make sense... I would've been 30-40 short from Azipod b/c of smaller pulley & bigger wheels. And Azipod would've been 50-60 short from bassn b/c of difference between Stage 1 & 3 and heavier unsprung weights. Does this make sense?

I think the best answer would come from Tony & Jerry... I hope they read this thread.