W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I on the verge of a breakthrough? Adaptations Disabled in Star?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Oxygen
And if you unlock the developer mode you have one up on the stupid dealer!
We're unlocked!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by mthis
thank you as well as oxygen. I'll look Into it asap thank a milli

One more question for u fellas. What's the diff from this to the star try use at the dealer I'm not good with this kind of stuff a friend is Im looking into this for him
Bring that thing down and we'll do wonders with your C bro.

When is the next time you're going to Atco or E-town. We should try and hook up. Last time you had to split and go to work!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Any update? Did anyone do a "Sneaky ECU Reset" and checked with STAR if it really worked?

Oxygen I heard STAR only works with T30 I see you have a SONY can I install STAR on my Toshiba?

So you guys don't recommend the Chinese Versions? They got them for little over a 1,000.

I don't think I really need a IBM T30 to get this to work do I (since OXYGEN has the SONY)?

Unless I can go in and Emulate the T30 drivers on my Toshiba (hmmmm)
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by jk062602kj
Any update? Did anyone do a "Sneaky ECU Reset" and checked with STAR if it really worked?
Darn. I could have done that just this week but didn't think of it and reset adaptations via Star. I'll have to try it in a few weeks.

Oxygen I heard STAR only works with T30 I see you have a SONY can I install STAR on my Toshiba?
Star just needs Windows XP SP2 or higher and a computer with an RS-232 serial port and at least 60mb of disk space. I having Star running on a Compaq Evo N610C with no issues.

So you guys don't recommend the Chinese Versions? They got them for little over a 1,000.
I bought an Actia unit because I found one for a good price.

With knock-offs, there is more risk: the knock-off might have fine quality or it might have poor quality. I wouldn't buy any knock-off unless the seller has a history of selling units that actually work. I personally wouldn't avoid a knock-off just because it was made in China.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
not sure what has been discussed here but i think people are getting a little excited about a system that really does not store data about shift timing and response times.

These adaptation values are what the car uses to determine the health of the transmission. The values show the amount of pressure required to engage the clutch pack during a shift. So as the clutch wears the values go up until a point where the slip is to great and the car will just pop into neutral between shifts and throw a code.

So by re-setting these figures you are telling the car to re-learn the current state of the transmission survey and have it figure out what is going on. Could this make it shift better maybe but its not some big trick to making the car shift super hard and fast. Its just the transmission learning how to shift correctly.

Oxy's box looks very healthy. I would like to see the values for some of these guys who drag launch frequently with drag tires etc. I wonder if their cars will show higher values and higher wear.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
not sure what has been discussed here but i think people are getting a little excited about a system that really does not store data about shift timing and response times.

These adaptation values are what the car uses to determine the health of the transmission. The values show the amount of pressure required to engage the clutch pack during a shift. So as the clutch wears the values go up until a point where the slip is to great and the car will just pop into neutral between shifts and throw a code.

So by re-setting these figures you are telling the car to re-learn the current state of the transmission survey and have it figure out what is going on. Could this make it shift better maybe but its not some big trick to making the car shift super hard and fast. Its just the transmission learning how to shift correctly.

Oxy's box looks very healthy. I would like to see the values for some of these guys who drag launch frequently with drag tires etc. I wonder if their cars will show higher values and higher wear.
I'm not a techie... so I could be way off. That's my disclaimer...

If what you say is right and if I understand your post correctly... then why would the car react differently if we drive aggressively for a while vs. if we never rev more than 2.5K RPM forever? Particularly the kickdown reaction when we stomp the gas?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by zoink
I'm not a techie... so I could be way off. That's my disclaimer...

If what you say is right and if I understand your post correctly... then why would the car react differently if we drive aggressively for a while vs. if we never rev more than 2.5K RPM forever? Particularly the kickdown reaction when we stomp the gas?
I think his comments were only regarding the adaptations shown in the screens above not the shift-driving adaptations.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by jmf003
Darn. I could have done that just this week but didn't think of it and reset adaptations via Star. I'll have to try it in a few weeks.

Star just needs Windows XP SP2 or higher and a computer with an RS-232 serial port and at least 60mb of disk space. I having Star running on a Compaq Evo N610C with no issues.

I bought an Actia unit because I found one for a good price.

With knock-offs, there is more risk: the knock-off might have fine quality or it might have poor quality. I wouldn't buy any knock-off unless the seller has a history of selling units that actually work. I personally wouldn't avoid a knock-off just because it was made in China.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info