Intake setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Intake setup

How many guys here would be interested in purchasing a affordable intake tube similar to the fangs? I plan on talking with 034 Motorsport here in the Bay Area and working with them on developing something. I will use my car as the Ginni pig in developing this. They have their own dyno in house and have engineers on site that could help with the design. I will definitely have before and after numbers to see if it's really worth the money. They haven't worked on many Mercedes but have done a ton of other imports. It's just a thought and I'm getting tired of waiting for one. If anyone has any input on whether this is a waste of time or not please feel free to voice your opinion.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
I have a few ideas for an intake as well. I just haven't found the time to get this project off the ground yet. I hope your comes out good though!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Maybe you'll get yours done first and see good results. I'll be talking with some of the guys at 034 Motorsports to see what they have in mind. They seem very knowledgable and have their own dyno. I will post results regardless, good or bad. They have developed some very fast street cars and I'm really curious to see what they can do. This weekend I'll be talking with a coupld of their guys.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Nice! It sounds promising.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
I'm interested

I'd definitely be game as this is one of the first mods I'd like to do to my engine.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
sounds interesting i would also be interested. thank you bssan_07
Old 05-16-2009, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I recently completed my own home brewed CAI w/Foam Cones/Dremeled the hell outt've the innards, made excellent SOTP difference @ high speeds + Turbo wastegate sounds incredible.
Was wondering what the rest of you power fiends thought of wrapping the underside of airboxes/tubes w/this REAL Carbon Fiber tape (obvious insulation from heat) or is it a waste? http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...bon+Fiber+Tape

Alan, a Fang type of CAI design will be awseome especially if you add the Foam Cones I used, they flow much better than Cotton K&N's your Blower whine will be intense

Last edited by Thericker; 05-16-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by Thericker
I recently completed my own home brewed CAI w/Foam Cones/Dremeled the hell outt've the innards, made excellent SOTP difference @ high speeds + Turbo wastegate sounds incredible.
Was wondering what the rest of you power fiends thought of wrapping the underside of airboxes/tubes w/this REAL Carbon Fiber tape (obvious insulation from heat) or is it a waste? http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...bon+Fiber+Tape

Alan, a Fang type of CAI design will be awseome especially if you add the Foam Cones I used, they flow much better than Cotton K&N's your Blower whine will be intense
PICS of you set up please.
I tired looking on the WEST SYSTEMS website to see if the CF tape provides insulation against heat, could not find anything. But I like your idea of wrapping the air boxes and tubes.
This may also work, but i like the CF look better
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Desig...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-16-2009, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by shardul
PICS of you set up please.
I tired looking on the WEST SYSTEMS website to see if the CF tape provides insulation against heat, could not find anything. But I like your idea of wrapping the air boxes and tubes.
This may also work, but i like the CF look better
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Desig...QQcmdZViewItem
I didn't take pictures during work sorry, but I'm happy to open up the airboxes n' take a few pix, I'll have them posted here by tonight (I really think I've stumbled onto a great alternative to expensive aftermarket solutions & best of all retaining STOCK appearence for dealership, just remove the C-clamped Foam-Cones/supplied replacement pipes, if needed in 5 min snap your stock tubes back in place for any warranty work) Kit is extremely high quality I was pleasantly surprised.

I have a really interesting quote I found from the Manufacturers site on WHY the Foam Filters feel so cool to touch even after long periods of driving & DO NOT get heat soaked vs K&N's Cotton folded variants (K&N's get heat soaked like the rest of your oem or after market airbox, try my little test: go drive around for 20 min pull your K&N/Green/AFE/BMC filters out or just touch themscorching hot, yes even the K&N Cone models here's why)
Therefore it is important that our Filters do not get heatsoak to block the cold Front. That is why the Ram-Filter doesn't use metal. Other types of Filters utilize metal screen to hold the paper/ cotton & they create a Hot Front the opposite of our positive effect. In many applications the Ram-Filter doesn't require any extra shielding since it doesn't absorb heat at the cone.
Also as far as filtering dirt/debris? I used to find heavy sand/dirt & little rocks on the bottom of STOCK OEM paper filters in OEM NON-Altered airboxes after only a few weeks, AFTER I installed the Foam-Cones & re-chk'd the bottom/inside of airboxes 3 weeks later NOT a grain of sand or speck of dust could be found! you could eat off the interior of airboxes now, it's that clean.

I realize the OEM filters kept that debris @ bay before entering engine, but that's too close for comfort + obvious that trapped extra Sand/Rocks/Dirt are majorly cloging further airflow up VS Cone-Foam filters mounted on the outside of airboxes eliminating ANY heavy debris like that from ever entering the airbox system altogether.

Info from their site on Air filteration:
The composition of our poly foam filters is a series of tiny interlocking cells of uniform size without straight through passageways, that create an impossible journey for dirt particles. Each passageway is like hundreds of very small cells connected one to another. The cell strands stop the dirt, while the oil film holds the dirt like fly paper until removed when the filter is cleaned. This is why foam filters are referred to as "full depth" filters. Foam filters are over 12 times thicker than paper or gauze elements, which are screens, or "surface type" filters. Because foam is a full depth filter even as dirt is being stopped, airflow can continue at a high rate by simply going around the trapped dirt. Unlike paper and gauze filters, foam filters will continue to perform well as the filter gets dirty. With its lifetime warranty these filters are washable and reusable to give any automobile a lifetime of great filtration and performance.
They have a kit for pretty much every model MB http://www.ram-filter.com/index.html Their site doesn't seem to be operating correctly, Sales of these items are found on Ebay $240 delivered

On my SL600, I didn't need to use their extra supplied metal tubes (I'm betting nearly all forced induction models wont either, I didn't find my model MB on Ebay when I ordered so I just bought the SL55 kit, it fits like a glove) link to the "Bay" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Thericker; 05-16-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thericker

Info from their site on Air filteration:

They have a kit for pretty much every model MB http://www.ram-filter.com/index.html Their site doesn't seem to be operating correctly, Sales of these items are found on Ebay $240 delivered

On my SL600, I didn't need to use their extra supplied metal tubes (I'm betting nearly all forced induction models wont either, I didn't find my model MB on Ebay when I ordered so I just bought the SL55 kit, it fits like a glove) link to the "Bay" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories
I saw this on eBay and I can imagine that it will really improve airflow, though I believe it will draw in hot air from the engine compartment. A very inexpensive setup though.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by bbearden
I saw this on eBay and I can imagine that it will really improve airflow, though I believe it will draw in hot air from the engine compartment. A very inexpensive setup though.
Naa you mate it up directly to the OEM holes by radiator it's mostly sucking in cool air from outside engine, (compare these to VRP825 pkg Scorpion CAI intakes very similar, only these are mounted right up against oem holes + better flowing Foam filter vs K&N Cones wrapped in cotton & metal weave)

Only time you'll draw hot air is while siting in traffic @ a standstill. Proof is in the perf & cool to the touch foam filters, even after a long trip to LA (mostly in traffic) the Foam filters were cool to touch vs touching the rest of the airbox or engine cover, if the foam filters were mostly drawing hot engine air the Filters would be scorching hot regardless of what their made of.

The pix from site show them mounted too far from OEM holes (I believe they did this for product exposure/show-off what your buying) the kit allows plenty of leeway/room to mash these Foam filters snugly against OEM holes.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:04 PM

Nice, I may have to give this setup a shot.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
i would use this for heat insulation
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INSUL...3A1|240%3A1318