W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General research Q's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a Dodge Stratus! People are scared of me! -Will Ferrell (SNL)
General research Q's

All,

First, I know there may be some frustration, but my searches have yielded results that aren't exactly what I am looking for, so any help is appreciated. Help a noob out, I did the same when I was on the NSX forum.

The Questions:
1. I have a 2004 E55. It has the aftermarket water pump (CM30?), aftermarket pulley, and a Powerchip. What are your thoughts on the Powerchip? I did a search, but all the "powerchip" threads were from high hp owners. Mine is mild in comparison.
2. It feels like the brakes are building compression from time to time. Is this normal? If so, fine, but just seems weird. Previous owner said it was a normal thing...
3. The shifting in 2nd is very sporadic and a bit rough. It's almost like the car can't figure out if it should down shift or not. Is this normal? I'm a bit worried this may be a byproduct of the Powerchip which the dealership won't service (correctly). The closest search info turned up an issue while cruising at 50-60mph, and mine happens much before that.
4. I have a strong smell of gas from near the gas cap (more so under fender well). Is this a bad hose probably (saw this in a post for an older E model)? Is that covered under warrranty?
5. Should I try to find an independent to take it back to stock due to warranty? I have the MB extended warranty until March 2011, so I really don't want to jeopardize that. In addition, does anyone here live in Vegas and have any recommendations/referrals for me? I checked the regional forum, but it was pretty sparce and no posts for Vegas.
6. Finally, when I open the driver door first thing in the morning (not yet cranked), I hear what sounds almost like a compressor running for short time. Can you help me out and tell me what that noise is? Don't even know how to begin searching for this issue...

Sorry for the multiple questions, but as you can see these are hard topics to search for and get the results I am in need of. As mentioned above, any and all info is greatly appreciated. I love to be as knowledgeable as possible about any vehicle I own. Shardul, if you run across this I lost your number. I wanted to call and let you know I found one. Hope you're doing well. You may be able to even help me with some of these questions.

THanks everyone,
Chuck

Last edited by cfw3rd; 05-22-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 AM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2003 E55 AMG; 2013 GL550 4Matic; 2003 CL600
I think (6) is the airmatic pump coming on to get the suspension ready, its normal.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
for (1) you can notice gains for that and you will hate the car if u return it to stock ( atleast for me )

for (3) try to reset the trans by this way
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...set-works.html

for (5) it is a common thing in the E55, check under the back seat, where the petrol filter is located.

thats what i know.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:08 AM

2007 E63 AMG, 2012 F250 4x4
#6 - Mine does the same even if I open the pass. door. I pretty sure it's normal as mekantor said.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:44 PM

I drive a Dodge Stratus! People are scared of me! -Will Ferrell (SNL)
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
for (1) you can notice gains for that and you will hate the car if u return it to stock ( atleast for me )

for (3) try to reset the trans by this way
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...set-works.html

for (5) it is a common thing in the E55, check under the back seat, where the petrol filter is located.

thats what i know.
Ali,

No dice on the trans reset. Still encountering it. Thanks for the pointer though. I'll keep hunting.

Can anyone weigh in on the question regarding whether or not I should return to stock before trying to have warranty work done? I'm a bit of a worrier, so I want to research as much as possible beforehand.

Thanks again to everyone.

Chuck