W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renntech Top Mount intercoolers on a car!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by chiromikey
actually, i wasn't speaking about this fugly ram air set up...just in general.

but it's logical that the slr coolers would fit...it's always been our airbox set up that prevented them from working. why do you think vadim came up with the fangs...it wasn't for aesthetics or performance.
It is all making sence now...

I have been Enlightened!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
That filter is an HKS piece, cheap and easily duplicated.

However, I think the question most people would have is how to do it without the appalling ram-air setup this car has. If one were to just open the plastic shrouds on the R230 chassis back there and route them down into the filter, what about water in downpours and what about how effective it would be at speed? There would need to be some R&D put into it, but it looks like it has potential.

-m
Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
That filter is an HKS piece, cheap and easily duplicated.

However, I think the question most people would have is how to do it without the appalling ram-air setup this car has. If one were to just open the plastic shrouds on the R230 chassis back there and route them down into the filter, what about water in downpours and what about how effective it would be at speed? There would need to be some R&D put into it, but it looks like it has potential.

-m
i actually have an 80mm HKS filter like that coming in this week and i will be trying that setup on my car. my 2 current thoughts are to either adapt the stock opening to feed the filter (will not be ram air but it's still an opening with fresh air) or to keep the stock air boxes in place to bring the air back to the filter.....or both.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by prodigymb
i actually have an 80mm HKS filter like that coming in this week and i will be trying that setup on my car. my 2 current thoughts are to either adapt the stock opening to feed the filter (will not be ram air but it's still an opening with fresh air) or to keep the stock air boxes in place to bring the air back to the filter.....or both.
Both FTW. I know this setup will work. I can get these filters easily.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Max.H
Both FTW. I know this setup will work. I can get these filters easily.
yeah they are pricey for an air filter ~100$. but i figured i could sell my K&Ns which are like new (2.5k miles on them) and get some $$ back to play around with the HKS.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
There you go.. 100 bucks is well worth the amount of gain I expect the hks super megaflow to get in dry climate.

Last edited by Max.H; 05-26-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by prodigymb
Keep us posted... but be careful... the hood is sloped in such a way that water could puddle back there if you are driving in rain... not to mention if the car sits outside in heavy rain it may also puddle and suck some rain in on startup.

I haven't looked back there myself yet but just make sure you are taking into account that water doesn't compress

-m
Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Keep us posted... but be careful... the hood is sloped in such a way that water could puddle back there if you are driving in rain... not to mention if the car sits outside in heavy rain it may also puddle and suck some rain in on startup.

I haven't looked back there myself yet but just make sure you are taking into account that water doesn't compress

-m
yeah i thought about the water, and there will be room for it. i'll play around with the carden hose.

filter should be here thursday or friday. probably won't get anything done this weekend since i'm driving down to Virginia Beach
Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Renntech has been doing top mounted SLR coolers for a few years now. They have sold many kits to other models. When my car was in Florida I kept pushing for the mod. I needed a hood scoop and didn't think the 15-20hp gain was worth the hood. Renntech runs all their mods at the track to measure the real result. After heat soak the mod wasn't worth the work and cost on our cars. A new fugly hood ain't cheap boys. I just found a source that can get me a CF hood at a decent price so I'm going to revisit the idea. I also have a special project in the works that could solve our issue. It should be done soon.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BENZGal
Renntech has been doing top mounted SLR coolers for a few years now. They have sold many kits to other models. When my car was in Florida I kept pushing for the mod. I needed a hood scoop and didn't think the 15-20hp gain was worth the hood. Renntech runs all their mods at the track to measure the real result. After heat soak the mod wasn't worth the work and cost on our cars. A new fugly hood ain't cheap boys. I just found a source that can get me a CF hood at a decent price so I'm going to revisit the idea. I also have a special project in the works that could solve our issue. It should be done soon.
What's up Angela! How's the monster running? I finally got my car back and it seems to be running strong but a few things do need to get worked out. Overall I'm happy with it and just glad she's home . I have a few more simple mods going on and after that I think she's done...again . Anyways I hope all is well and I'll talk to you later.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bassn_07
What's up Angela! How's the monster running? I finally got my car back and it seems to be running strong but a few things do need to get worked out. Overall I'm happy with it and just glad she's home . I have a few more simple mods going on and after that I think she's done...again . Anyways I hope all is well and I'll talk to you later.
The beast is strong and healthy my friend. I'm glad you got your car back and it's running good.

BTW..Boys,
Mushroom filter will help you a tad bit, but only use it at the track if you live near sand and desert.

Last edited by BENZGal; 05-27-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
The Queen bee has spoken.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Out of curiosity, I heard that over time foam filters could disintegrate any get sucked up in the engine...any truth to this tale.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Out of curiosity, I heard that over time foam filters could disintegrate any get sucked up in the engine...any truth to this tale.
Yes it's possible. Probably after some serious usage. I doubt that it will cause any damage to the motor either. You should either clean or replace the filter element just like any other air filter..I have used these hks powerflows before and didn't notice any deterioration.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:42 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
am a little confused.

are you stating that the top mounted intercoolers (slr style) were ehat soaking

or the head

any number gains form the top mount coolers?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
foam filters can hold up but i believe it depends more on the location they're mounted rather than the type of filter (although i do believe foam to be less apt to trap smaller particles). any engine hiccup can cause a filter in this location to become saturated with fuel and deteriorate prematurely. obviously, our motors are not typically prone to this situation but i've seen plenty of ducatis catch fire with these type of foam filters mounted directly over the tb.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Max.H
The Queen bee has spoken.
Long live the queen!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zod
am a little confused.

are you stating that the top mounted intercoolers (slr style) were ehat soaking

or the head

any number gains form the top mount coolers?

Thanks
No, I'm not saying that. I can only speak for us with highly modified engines that would consider this mod. We don't have room in the engine for this mod unless we scoop the hood to provide more air.

As for the filter.....I tried it and it works great but it needs 2 be cleaned more often.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Long live the queen!
+1
Old 05-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
No, I'm not saying that. I can only speak for us with highly modified engines that would consider this mod. We don't have room in the engine for this mod unless we scoop the hood to provide more air.

As for the filter.....I tried it and it works great but it needs 2 be cleaned more often.
This is the impression i was given, that you need to mod the hood to make the coolers fit. But in the pics the SL has it with out the hood mod!
only later on did he seem to addd the hood, which is why i was like

i do not see any tubes at the front and no air box...so where is the TB getting the air from (in the pics without the hood upgrade)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
That hood is hideous... surely they could have done a single or double NACA duct which not only would have been more subtle but probably more effective too. That back area for intake is not a bad spot though - if I recall correctly its a high pressure point aerodynamically so the long scoop makes even less sense.

I was toying with the idea of cutting two NACA ducts into the hood just ahead of the OEM air boxes as a direct feed instead of through the small vents past the radiator but I ran out of cohones...! Probably good that I did so....

Anyone got a dyno of the RT coolers though? 20hp (?) is not that great given the cost and changes involved.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 SL55 2022 GLE350
very nice car but i do not like the new hood