W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Sunir
What's interesting is the restriction to flow curve vs. the filtering/dirt plots...looks like there is an inverse relationship to the two; K&N seems to have let in more dirt but flows better; so the real issue is the airborne contaminents; is the dirt/dust particles small or insignificant enough that the differences in values (in this case between AC Delco and say K&N) are negligible??
Yeah I noticed that too.

The K&N and the stock AC Delco filter in the test performed almost the same when they were both clean. The real difference was that the K&N flowed better for longer, as each filter got loaded with dust.

So translation = Change your OEM paper filters often and the performance really isn't that different than with K&N's, but you're sucking in a lot less dirt.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Try Oil Analysis

Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
K&N have been lab tested and shown to allow more grit through than OEM paper.

Everything you said is completely opposite of reality.
If you want a true picture, start an oil analysis program beginning with your next oil change. I have used Titan Labs for many years for my street cars, race cars and aircraft, although there are other good labs too. However, it is considered best to stick with the same lab for consistency. If a serious problem is discovered you will get a phone call. If any item is out of range it will appear on the report. You can equate this to a blood work-up for your engine. High silicone readings indicate a problem with the air cleaner. It will also tell you what condition your oil was in at the time it was sampled. As you create a record you will instantly be able to see if any item changes from what is normal for your engine. Just the peace-of-mind is worth the $25
Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
K&N makes the worst "filters" on the market. They are no more than air strainers coated in oil.

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Four points come to mind about your post:

1. You do know that certain relatively small sizes of dirt have NO effect on ANY engine, aka they are acceptable. That is why a manufacture has requirements for their engine filters.

2. The K/N did flow the best under high loads, aka above 400cfm, which is what you NEED on any FI motor at wide open throttle.

3. Please show me ANY data that has shown that a K/N HAS caused motor damage. By this time, over 30 years, don't you think that there would have been class action law suits against them if they were dropping engines

4. That test was from 2004

Oh well, suit yourself, but I have always used K/N's now for over 25 years with ZERO issues and will continue to do so. Have fun my friend.

As always I have NO interest in K/N's other than one happy customer
Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
1. You do know that certain relatively small sizes of dirt have NO effect on ANY engine, aka they are acceptable.
Incorrect. There is no acceptable dirt size.
Hold a K&N up to your eye, you can see straight through it.

2. The K/N did flow the best under high loads, aka above 400cfm, which is what you NEED on any FI motor at wide open throttle.
The stock filter flows all the engine can use and more. There is no benefit to a K&N on a street engine, WOT operation is less than 1% of operating time. The 2 extra hp it flows is not a worthwhile trade-off for reduced engine lifespan and the extra maintenance a K&N requires.

3. Please show me ANY data that has shown that a K/N HAS caused motor damage.
Google it. Take your hands from over your eyes. No amount of proof will convince the willingly ignorant. Thats why religion and MPG scams still persist so strongly today despite the mountain of proof against them.

By this time, over 30 years, don't you think that there would have been class action law suits against them if they were dropping engines
No. Has there been lawsuits against manufacturers of intake swirlers, magnetic fuel line clips or hydrogen generators? None of them do as advertised either.

4. That test was from 2004
SO? Its using a standardized ISO test that can be repeated by anyone, anywhere at any time to produce directly comparable results. K&N filters have been the same design since the 1970's, so your 5 year argument just shows you're grasping at straws trying to make excuses.

Last edited by 240D 3.0T; 02-10-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
Incorrect. There is no acceptable dirt size.
Hold a K&N up to your eye, you can see straight through it.

Wrong my friend. Due some resdearch please. Or are you trying to tell us that particles at 1.0 micron hurt

The stock filter flows all the engine can use and more. There is no benefit to a K&N on a street engine, WOT operation is less than 1% of operating time. The 2 extra hp it flows is not a worthwhile trade-off for reduced engine lifespan and the extra maintenance a K&N requires.

Wrong again, the stock filters do NOT flow enough. Dyno's have proven this. I will agree that MOST drivers are not at wide open throttle for very long. however I am a road racer so this is NOT my case

Google it. Take your hands from over your eyes. No amount of proof will convince the willingly ignorant. Thats why religion and MPG scams still persist so strongly today despite the mountain of proof against them.

I give you B for ***** on this stetment and will leave it alone But yet you have given NO PROOF to back up your dribble

No. Has there been lawsuits against manufacturers of intake swirlers, magnetic fuel line clips or hydrogen generators? None of them do as advertised either.

Very true, but where is the K/N law suit which I was talking about

SO? Its using a standardized ISO test that can be repeated by anyone, anywhere at any time to produce directly comparable results. K&N filters have been the same design since the 1970's, so your 5 year argument just shows you're grasping at straws trying to make excuses.
As I said before, choose whatever one you want. I have already made my choice. Good luck

Again, my proof is from the track, my engine builders, and tear downs.

Where's yours my friend
Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Objectionable
My logical side says that if K&N developed superior HP with no downside the AMG engineers would already have this type of filter in place given the small price differential.
While that is a logical thought, think of the costs to develop an air filter to be used one 1-4 Mercedes models (E55, CL55, SL55, etc.)

For example, I have a N/A CLK55 and I discovered that my OEM air filter has the same part number as the CLK320, CLK350, CLK430, CLK500, etc. etc.

I find it hard to believe that my 5.4L engine would have the same "air appetite" as a CLK320.

So I changed to new K&N filters for 20K miles and the never looked back. BTW, the MAF sensor is perfect and there is no oil that is being sucked from the filter into the engine.