TVT's Quest for a Cooler Car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrysler Crossfire
TVT's Quest for a Cooler Car...

As many of you know the E55 we had worked on was an absolute besat, but suffered a bit from Heat Soak. It has the Johnson Pump, and while IATs weren't dangerously high, a few WOT jaunts and the power went down.

Originally we were gonna upgrade the HE and call it a day, but where's the fun in that? We decided to take it up a notch, Emeril style (i know, cheesy reference).

We started with a one-off HE made by some of my NASCAR friends in NC. It is a compact design that is extremely efficeint. 28X4.5X4.5 are the total dimensions with brackets.

To that we added a Canton Racing Expansion Tank, 2qt capacity, and 16lbs Billet Cap. A pressurized system is a happy system.

To hook it all together we went with -12 AN fittings and Aeroquip High-Pressure Push Loc hose. This is the shizz nizzle of coolant hoses.

We will be replacing all lines from intercooler on. The system will be seperated from the Engine Coolant and the lil M113K will live a much happier life.

Kevin's car will be here in the AM and we will have lots of pics as we progress.

For all you SL55 guys, we'll be working on one for that car tomorrow as well.

Stay Tuned!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
Wonder whos SL55 is going under the knife tomorrow See you in the AM Tony - PS did you ever get those stats in?

I want to beat heat soak in the head with a bat till its a bloody mess. so god damn annoying to lose the power!

Last edited by InTheBenz0; 05-28-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:09 PM

I am really excited about the cooling add ons, but I can't wait to hear the exhaust with the Corsa mufflers.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
As many of you know the E55 we had worked on was an absolute besat, but suffered a bit from Heat Soak. It has the Johnson Pump, and while IATs weren't dangerously high, a few WOT jaunts and the power went down.
Trust you're now a believer, from all of the friendly nudges expressed prior?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-build-up.html

We started with a one-off HE made by some of my NASCAR friends in NC. It is a compact design that is extremely efficeint. 28X4.5X4.5 are the total dimensions with brackets.
Posted previously:
Our HE will be 26X7X3.5.
Just curious - why the resize?

Looking forward to seeing the results - sounds like a logical and comprehensive cooling package to help that Beast put its substantial power down with greater repeatability and consistency.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
now that will be a good thing for us , Middle East owners. hot weather is our only problem ><
Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 PM

Car was dropped off at noon today and is under the knife. Looking forward to the new sound from the Corsa mufflers and coolant mods.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Trust you're now a believer, from all of the friendly nudges expressed prior?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-build-up.html

Posted previously:

Just curious - why the resize?

Looking forward to seeing the results - sounds like a logical and comprehensive cooling package to help that Beast put its substantial power down with greater repeatability and consistency.

Yes, well I finally got to see the actual test data I needed to warrant the upgrade. With the 180mm we were spiking at around 187 with just the pump. With a smaller pulley (172ish) you'd probably get away with just that upgrade.

We changed the size due to the new coolant tank and extremely more efficeint.

Some say bigger is better, but they're just trying to compensate for lack of skill...
Old 05-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Here's a pic of everything mocked up.
Attached Thumbnails TVT's Quest for a Cooler Car...-e55.jpg  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///AMG
What kind of setup is that?
What is the unit above the bumper?

What does this cooling setup cost?

Here's a pic of everything mocked up.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
Why not just add some water/methanol injection and call it a day?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by OXOJE55
What kind of setup is that?
What is the unit above the bumper?

What does this cooling setup cost?
that looks like the added reservoir - blocking the radiator
Old 06-01-2009, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///AMG
Wouln't that be a bad stop for the reservoir?

Originally Posted by prodigymb
that looks like the added reservoir - blocking the radiator
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 PM

I questioned the location, and I was assured it wouldn't affect the cooling.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by Kevinw23michele
I questioned the location, and I was assured it wouldn't affect the cooling.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by taurran
Why not just add some water/methanol injection and call it a day?
likely because no one has been able to show any performance gains on this platform with it.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by chiromikey
likely because no one has been able to show any performance gains on this platform with it.
We did that on a SRT6 and what a PITA it was. Also with the amount of times these cars boost and the required amount to cool off the charge, you'd be filling the tank up every day.

As for the radiator being blocked, you need to remember one thing, the radiator is behind a bunch of stuff already. The fan behind the radiator is where the cooling is coming from, not so much the oncoming air from the outside, although that does play a big part. A lot of air comes from the bottow as well. There are all sorts of ducts and passages built in the under body panels that help direct airflow to important parts of the engine.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
We did that on a SRT6 and what a PITA it was. Also with the amount of times these cars boost and the required amount to cool off the charge, you'd be filling the tank up every day.

As for the radiator being blocked, you need to remember one thing, the radiator is behind a bunch of stuff already. The fan behind the radiator is where the cooling is coming from, not so much the oncoming air from the outside, although that does play a big part. A lot of air comes from the bottow as well. There are all sorts of ducts and passages built in the under body panels that help direct airflow to important parts of the engine.
On the ones I've worked with you can set the gain and threshold to only come on under full boost, or with only a slight amount of water/meth at lower boost levels. You could also wire it into the EMS to engage at a minimum throttle position or just turn it off when not under "spirited" driving conditions.

It's a cool project you've got going, I was just throwing something else out there I've had a little experience with. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Well everything is installed and running. We ran into some clearance issues with the Front Mesh, but will fix that tomorrow.

This install is not for the faint of heart. There are countless hours of labor and tears that went into getting this all to fit.

I've had the familiar scent of antifreeze lingering on me for days now and it offends everybody.

Now that that's off my chest, here are some installed pics.

We changed the coolant tank from being right on the AC Cooler to about 1/4" in front. We also lowered it and modified the hood latch bracket to allow for easy access to the filler neck.

The final installed piece is not held on by zip ties in case anyone was wondering. My fabricator welded up a pretty cool "cage" to surround it. Deffinately an outside the box idea.

Approximate install time was 12 hours.
Attached Thumbnails TVT's Quest for a Cooler Car...-p1011164.jpg   TVT's Quest for a Cooler Car...-p1011163.jpg   TVT's Quest for a Cooler Car...-p1011162.jpg   TVT's Quest for a Cooler Car...-p1011161.jpg   TVT's Quest for a Cooler Car...-p1011152.jpg  

TVT's Quest for a Cooler Car...-p1011153.jpg  
Old 06-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
looks good!!, can't wait to see the temps!! I've been kinda discouraged with the IAT's. I have a 6 gal rear tank and high flow pump and still the slow speed temps seem high.I'm pretty sure its in part to high engine temps. With the car sitting in 80 degree weather the IAT's were 105, I then ran the garden hose over the heat exchanger continously and could only get them down to 99, so them I tried putting ice packs on the IAT itself and could not get it to change. So them I put the inside heater on high got the engine temp down to 185 and the IAT temp came down to 94. Not sure, maybe that is good.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
looks good!!, can't wait to see the temps!! I've been kinda discouraged with the IAT's. I have a 6 gal rear tank and high flow pump and still the slow speed temps seem high.I'm pretty sure its in part to high engine temps. With the car sitting in 80 degree weather the IAT's were 105, I then ran the garden hose over the heat exchanger continously and could only get them down to 99, so them I tried putting ice packs on the IAT itself and could not get it to change. So them I put the inside heater on high got the engine temp down to 185 and the IAT temp came down to 94. Not sure, maybe that is good.
I know this isn't apples to apples but tonight it was 62 degrees and the car hovered around the 75 mark. On the highway cruising at 65 it got up to 88. In a short blast from 40-80 and holding at 3800 RPM for about 10 sec it climbed to 95.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
I know this isn't apples to apples but tonight it was 62 degrees and the car hovered around the 75 mark. On the highway cruising at 65 it got up to 88. In a short blast from 40-80 and holding at 3800 RPM for about 10 sec it climbed to 95.
Ive seem similar numbers, The only time it really concerned me was at the track, It was 85 outside and air quality sucked the Iats got up to 160 and I could not get them to come down, I'd run the pump with the car off and they just stayed hot. I think airflow is a big part of it, plus were the sensor is kinda sucks. What I would like to know is how much of the HP loss is due to high intake temps or is the Hp loss to how the computer treats the hot air? I can't remember what the formula is for HP VS air temp but I know there's a defiant effect, I'm just suspicious that the engine is truly safe but the computer dumps fuel and retards timing at a certain temp?