Sponsored by:

Palm Pre pairs with mb bluetooth!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63 AMG (Sold), 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 2012 CLS63 AMG
Palm Pre pairs with mb bluetooth!

Just got my new Palm Pre today. Didn't have to stand in line too long for it. Went out to the parking lot to leave right after and paired it to my MB bluetooth cradle and to my surprise the phonebook and everything downloaded!

Awesome! Sorry, if I seem too excited but i have only been able to make calls the old fashioned way for awhile. The phonebook feature is nice!

-kjo
Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
Great! Thanks for the info. I'm about to make that leap from a Palm Treo 700P to a Palm Pre'.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 PM

Damn, it looks like I may have jumped too soon. It pairs and when it does you can download the phonebook and it all works great. But it has been dropping the connection and it seems after several minutes it drops the bluetooth connection with the phone and says no service and then closes all together.

Has anybody had dropped bluetooth connections with any phones? Is there anything I can do or is this just a however it works is what you get with each phone.

If I turn off bluetooth on the phone and then turn it back it it reconnects for the length of that drive but then I go back out and start it up again the next trip and it doesn't pair and the MB phone says turned off. It doesn't find the phone either if you turn it on.

Anybody?
Old 06-26-2009, 02:04 PM

ML320 CDI 2008
Pre Palm and Bluetooth

<<But it has been dropping the connection and it seems after several minutes it drops the bluetooth connection with the phone and says no service and then closes all together>>

Thxs for your post. In August I will move from Treo 700P/Verizon to Sprint Pre-palm so your info is very valuable.

The MB needs to see your phone. BT has three modes "seeable" hidden/visible/temporary. It seems that you may be in temporary mode. On the 700P you just click on the BT icon and under Visibility you choose Visible. Hope is that simple. Be sure you are in area of good reception and for the testing have the card parked. Please post the results.
-=terry=-
Old 06-26-2009, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by 17outs
Just got my new Palm Pre today. Didn't have to stand in line too long for it. Went out to the parking lot to leave right after and paired it to my MB bluetooth cradle and to my surprise the phonebook and everything downloaded!

Awesome! Sorry, if I seem too excited but i have only been able to make calls the old fashioned way for awhile. The phonebook feature is nice!

-kjo
It paried with out the code ? that
Old 06-26-2009, 02:38 PM

ML320 CDI 2008
If I turn off bluetooth on the phone and then turn it back it it reconnects for the length of that drive but then I go back out and start it up again the next trip and it doesn't pair and the MB phone says turned off. It doesn't find the phone either if you turn it on.

Anybody?
I missed this part in my previous reply :-(
It seems the system is loosing the paired information and the phone is resetting. Try few thing:

1. After you get a good connection shut off the phone then the car then turn on the phone and restart the car and see if it can connect.

2. erase the trusted device and start all over again.

-=terry=-
Old 06-30-2009, 10:06 AM

So about a month later, I have some more input so others can know what they are getting. It seems the Pre has some BT issues that others are having as well. I have issues here and there with this phone, but it is an awesome product.

The phone pairs. You have to turn off BT and then reenable and it will pair. Then you have to close the app otherwise if the phone goes to sleep with the card open it will disconnect.

Eventually it will not disconnect from the car even though you are far away. It still shows connected but in the car it won't be. You will have to turn off BT and turn back on for it to pair again.

Also, on a separate but similar note, sometimes even if the phone isn't paired it will switch to BT when you answer a call and you have to tap the button to switch it to the speaker so that you can hear the call.

Overall, I am still the happy. The inconveniences are still outweighed by the pros of this awesome device which I have already rooted and installed other apps, etc. Sorry, I am a Systems Engineer...we are gadget freaks...we get nerdy.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 PM

ML320 CDI 2008
this awesome device which I have already rooted .
Have you look at the configuration of the linux kernel yet?. Have you try tethering?.
Well in a couple of month the contract with Verizon ends and I will switch, in the meantime I just collecting info of "early users" like you.
In summary:

1. you can upload the phone book into the MB

2. When you said "you have to close the application" are you referring to the BT graphic setting appliaction?

3. Can you use the phone book?

Thxs again for your report

-=terry=-
Old 07-01-2009, 06:58 PM

Sorry, I am a Systems Engineer...we are gadget freaks...we get nerdy.
I'm a wannabe engineer and a definite gadget freak. Keep on postin'
Old 07-05-2009, 08:04 AM

98 C280, 08 E350
I have a Palm Pre and have been able to pair it with the car. However, I have not been successful in downloading the phonebook. On the first pairing, I do get the message that it is downloading, but it never completes.

How long does it take? Maybe I am just being impatient. My palm pre has about 400 numbers that I ported over from my blackberry. I have the same problem with my wife's palm pre and she has a more manageable number (less than 100).

Is there another way to sync this information (cable? cradle for Palm Pre?) other than by bluetooth?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Which car is this in? I have about 500 contacts in mine and it does download the phonebook it just takes about 4 minutes or so. My problems are still that the phone stays connected when you exit the car and other times the MB loses the connection and the phone says it is still paired.

Any other palm pre and MB owners? Experiences? I would love to hear what others are going through to see if someone has found any better tricks than me.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:18 PM

98 C280, 08 E350
2008 E350

I have a 2008 E350. We purchased it from the dealer in July 2009 (this year), and had them add the Bluetooth capability (dealer). It should be the latest version.

The phone pairs well. Even when walking up to the car, it seamlessly transitions into the cars system as entering the car. However, I still am unable to have the car successfully download the Palm Pre's phonebook.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ncstater
I have a 2008 E350. We purchased it from the dealer in July 2009 (this year), and had them add the Bluetooth capability (dealer). It should be the latest version.

The phone pairs well. Even when walking up to the car, it seamlessly transitions into the cars system as entering the car. However, I still am unable to have the car successfully download the Palm Pre's phonebook.
So let me get this right...you have the puck that goes in the console same as me? Or is it an integrated system? If you have the puck and yours works fine I might try to complain and see if I can get it swapped out for a new one. Or it may be that the 08's handle it differently. I can load the phonebook no problem but I do have the intermittencies. I saw on the website that the 09's are the only ones that are on the certified to work list. Weaksauce.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 PM

98 C280, 08 E350
I've been pucked

Yes 17outs, I have the standard bluetooth offering from Mercedes which I believe is "the puck". It's the system that is already built into the car, but you need the ~$500 additional item (the puck?) to add the capability to use it.

Now, I when I say mine works, lets be clear. It is functional. When I enter the car, my calls smoothly transition to the car. The pairing happens automatically, and I have only had a couple of car-to-phone connection drops in 2 months. I cannot get the phonebook sent over. I can use the cars keypad to dial out, answer, and end calls. It remembers dialed numbers if I used the cars keypad, and only for that trip. That memory is gone once the car is turned off.

All of the research I have done indicates it is a Palm Pre issue. They apparently don't employ some bluetooth standards (OBEX bluetooth file transfers?) for allowing the passing of contacts and entire phonebooks. Mercedes does.

In fact, when you look into the Palm Pre software development kit, you will find they have opened up almost all aspects of the phone except for one area - that's right, the bluetooth software. It seems to be getting a decent amount of press on the palm pre forums, so we can hope this will be addressed in a future software update.

I wish I could give some advice as to what I have done to integrate mine, but I have a feeling my advice for doing that would be the same as your advice for uploading the phonebook - I just followed the instructions and it worked. Again, I have a feeling Mercedes has their act together on this, and we are just dealing with some "buggy" Palm bluetooth software.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:16 PM

E63
Originally Posted by ncstater
Yes 17outs, I have the standard bluetooth offering from Mercedes which I believe is "the puck". It's the system that is already built into the car, but you need the ~$500 additional item (the puck?) to add the capability to use it.

Now, I when I say mine works, lets be clear. It is functional. When I enter the car, my calls smoothly transition to the car. The pairing happens automatically, and I have only had a couple of car-to-phone connection drops in 2 months. I cannot get the phonebook sent over. I can use the cars keypad to dial out, answer, and end calls. It remembers dialed numbers if I used the cars keypad, and only for that trip. That memory is gone once the car is turned off.

All of the research I have done indicates it is a Palm Pre issue. They apparently don't employ some bluetooth standards (OBEX bluetooth file transfers?) for allowing the passing of contacts and entire phonebooks. Mercedes does.

In fact, when you look into the Palm Pre software development kit, you will find they have opened up almost all aspects of the phone except for one area - that's right, the bluetooth software. It seems to be getting a decent amount of press on the palm pre forums, so we can hope this will be addressed in a future software update.

I wish I could give some advice as to what I have done to integrate mine, but I have a feeling my advice for doing that would be the same as your advice for uploading the phonebook - I just followed the instructions and it worked. Again, I have a feeling Mercedes has their act together on this, and we are just dealing with some "buggy" Palm bluetooth software.
Yup... I have an 07 and my previous phones have worked great, Blackjack, Q9C, HTC, iPhone, but with the Palm Pre, I am having the same issue with the phonebook not downloading too...
Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 PM

Wow, how random. My phone book is fine, but my connections gets dropped all the time and your problems are vice versa. Maybe I should try a new puck cradle whatever you want to call it? I would rather have smooth transition to the car and not have to manually connect all the time than have phonebook capability. It has to be capable of phonebook transfer because mine is fine. The weird thing is the inconsistency. Grrr...
Old 09-29-2009, 01:53 PM

Yay. Software version 1.2 fixed my bluetooth problems. Finally.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:10 PM

98 C280, 08 E350
My phonebook still has not tansferred, but maybe I was too impatient for loading time. Did you re-pair the phone and do you see the phonebook?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:48 PM

S550
Bluetooth adapter, Palm Pre Plus ... S550 2007 ... Successfully Installed! Phone Book, Facebook, Everybook ... Very HAPPY
Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 AM

2007 gl450
Gboy. what model number is the puck you purchased? is it this B67875878 or this B67876131?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 AM

S550
It appears to be ... B67875878 ... check ebay It's perfect 4 me.

Don't forget to press the MB logo button on the puck. That is really important if I can remember correctly.

Last edited by GBOY; 06-16-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 AM

2007 gl450
Gboy-

thanks..i am going to the dealer to pick up my ride tomorrow. when i am onsite, i a mgoing to talk to the salesman that helped me and see if he can put a puck in the car just to test wit my phone... i will follow up on friday.