Keeping WHP to the ground?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by BENZGal
Get rid of my tune, change my driving style....I'm am starting to feel dizzy! Neither one is option for me and loosing tracking at the drag strip is not a trade off I'm willing to make. Glad to hear your Mrs. AMG is a terror behind the wheel!
A while back, I read that RennTech was working on a product that would allow you to store 2 tunes and be able to switch between two via a switch. Do you know if that ever happened?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
A while back, I read that RennTech was working on a product that would allow you to store 2 tunes and be able to switch between two via a switch. Do you know if that ever happened?
It is available.

Is your car actually lifting the front tires off the ground? That would be pretty badass! If my car did that I would keep it that way lol. Maybe ride around with wheelie bars If its just lifting the front without actually liftin tire off the ground thats normal. Stiffer rear springs will get rid of that but as mentioned before you will sacrifice weight transfer and therefore traction

Old 06-12-2009, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
if the modified speedshift is only for sport mode then starting in 2nd won't help.

Your only choice then to fix this is to go to a adjustable coilover set up. I don't know how difficult that would be on the airmatic cars.

I do not believe the springs offered by renntech are adjustable coilovers. The adjustments are on the shock.

EX. I went to KWv3s which I can adjust a bunch of different configurations in the front and rear.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Vic55
Actually id hate that problem--- whats the use of the power if you cant transfer it? I mean really if her car has so much power what can be done except for putting The Godfather in her trunk
Sweet mother of Jesus!! The Anti-Chrio mod
Old 06-12-2009, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
My car is a DD and I am having to feather the throttle to keep my front end down between first and second on my speed shift program. Do you think a performace splitter and diffuser would help?

GO LAKERS!
What about changing to stiffer control arms? They will keep the car from squatting too deep and bouncing back up. Vadim swears they will help with the launch and not only controlling camber, caster and toe problems.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
It is available.

Is your car actually lifting the front tires off the ground? That would be pretty badass! If my car did that I would keep it that way lol. Maybe ride around with wheelie bars If its just lifting the front without actually liftin tire off the ground thats normal. Stiffer rear springs will get rid of that but as mentioned before you will sacrifice weight transfer and therefore traction

You need to see if it's available for your car. I know they don't offer it for the 211E55. I don't know about lifiting the tires of the ground but it does give a little hop. LOL I know it's a little normal for the front to lift on modified cars but this is just enough to annoy me between gears. So much for that CF hood we were talking about. I did try Mo's idea of putting it in C mode and starting in 2nd and it did help. I will try that for a while and look into the coilovers.

SSM AMG,
No thread sorry.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
I'm assuming you already have the RENNtech toe links? The block or brink will be released shortly from RENNtech, maybe we can have jeff give you a tame file, and a beast file?

Regardless enjoy your week
Old 06-13-2009, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Speaking of those, what's the name of this one? I'd like to see more pics....
Her name is Justene
Old 06-13-2009, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
I loved my car's power when I first got and I love it even more now with a full slate of mods.

But to have so much power on tap that you have to feather the throttle on the 1-2 shift...
Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
I'm assuming you already have the RENNtech toe links? The block or brink will be released shortly from RENNtech, maybe we can have jeff give you a tame file, and a beast file?

Regardless enjoy your week
I was stupid and didn't get the toe links put on when the car was in Florida. It's on my list as a must have. I drove the car in C mode and it helped quite a bit. My baby just needed a little comfort. LOL
Are you kidding me about having a tame file? I would never get rid of this beast tune! I just need to tweak a few parts and learn how to drive it better.

I heard you are working on a couple of good projects James. Way to go with Rick's car! RENNTech offers so many cool things and is usually the first one to come out with new parts or projects. Since they don't post on this site and are not a sponsor people don't know what they are capable of. They are the best in the business.

jmf003- Thank you!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Guys and gals, I can 100% guarantee that the front end is NOT actually coming off the ground, especially on the street with street tires. However, the car will want to rotate the front end up any time you are accelerating, so it may feel like the car is bringing the front end up, but it's not. It's a combination of the rear end squatting and the front raising up a bit. It is simple physics, and anything you do to counteract this will reduce weight transfer and then all you'll do is spin the rear tires. My E55 actually raises the front end LESS than other less-powerful cars I've owned, probably due to its length and weight.

Motorcycles do this too, but to a much larger degree. I used to have a ZX-12R(about 190 hp and 500 pounds), and the sensation of acceleration and the front end trying to lift made it feel like the wheel was actually coming off the ground, even at over 100 mph. If your car has a ridiculous amount of torque and traction it may FEEL like the front end is coming up, but it's probably just squatting big-time in the rear. I've driven a drag car that would pull the wheels, and you DEFINITELY know when the wheels are off the ground.

Bottom line...It's perfectly normal and anything you do to correct it will majorly hurt performance elsewhere. Even the quickest E55 I've seen on Youtube(running 10.7x I believe) was not pulling the front wheels with drag radials on a prepped track. Go for a drive and pay attention to what the rear of the car is doing. You may find it's just squatting and transferring weight.

Edit: I see your complaint is mainly on the 1-2 shift. When the trans. shifts the car will briefly stop accelerating and unload the suspension. When it engages 2nd gear the rear suspension will compress again, giving the illusion that the front end is coming up more than it is.

Here's a video showing what that weight transfer looks like. You'll see the rear end really squat and the front rise up a bit. On the 1-2 shift it will be much less pronounced due to gearing and lack of torque multiplication from the torque converter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6Gj...eature=related

Last edited by izzyz28; 06-15-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by izzyz28
Guys and gals, I can 100% guarantee that the front end is NOT actually coming off the ground, especially on the street with street tires. However, the car will want to rotate the front end up any time you are accelerating, so it may feel like the car is bringing the front end up, but it's not. It's a combination of the rear end squatting and the front raising up a bit. It is simple physics, and anything you do to counteract this will reduce weight transfer and then all you'll do is spin the rear tires. My E55 actually raises the front end LESS than other less-powerful cars I've owned, probably due to its length and weight.

Motorcycles do this too, but to a much larger degree. I used to have a ZX-12R(about 190 hp and 500 pounds), and the sensation of acceleration and the front end trying to lift made it feel like the wheel was actually coming off the ground, even at over 100 mph. If your car has a ridiculous amount of torque and traction it may FEEL like the front end is coming up, but it's probably just squatting big-time in the rear. I've driven a drag car that would pull the wheels, and you DEFINITELY know when the wheels are off the ground.

Bottom line...It's perfectly normal and anything you do to correct it will majorly hurt performance elsewhere. Even the quickest E55 I've seen on Youtube(running 10.7x I believe) was not pulling the front wheels with drag radials on a prepped track. Go for a drive and pay attention to what the rear of the car is doing. You may find it's just squatting and transferring weight.

Edit: I see your complaint is mainly on the 1-2 shift. When the trans. shifts the car will briefly stop accelerating and unload the suspension. When it engages 2nd gear the rear suspension will compress again, giving the illusion that the front end is coming up more than it is.

Here's a video showing what that weight transfer looks like. You'll see the rear end really squat and the front rise up a bit. On the 1-2 shift it will be much less pronounced due to gearing and lack of torque multiplication from the torque converter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6Gj...eature=related
Excellent post!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Izzyz,
If you read my post I said I don't know about the tires lifting off the ground. I am a science major so I understand where you are going with your post. According to your post count and threads you just picked up an E55 but seem quite technical and post that you work on cars. I would love to chat offline and pick your brain. I have a TQ monster and perhaps a TQ converter would help? I don't think it's normal to feather the throttle between 1-2 in a MB, but we have come a long way in the last few years. My last engine built by Evosport was not as powerful but had some of the unloading suspension issues you speak of. My new beast feels like a TQ thoroughbred of the line and a totally different animal. Regardless, the car is sick. I appreciate your utube video of the VRP car at the strip. I see what you are talking about with the front end lift illusion on that car. What was the DA? I would have expected 10's with all that rwhp. PM sent.

Last edited by BENZGal; 06-16-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I think I've heard it all now, someone in an E55 complaining they have TOO MUCH power lol, but when told the only way to correct it will be @ a sacrifice of less perf thru traction loss, she'd rather
"Are you kidding me about having a tame file? I would never get rid of this beast tune!"
LOL!!!!

Yeah get a High Stall Converter, if you're having problems w/power now, when it hits Stall speed you'll put it into a wall...

Last edited by Thericker; 06-16-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean,
Wow..you got me to respond after ignoring you for a year. Since you posted on my thread I will respond. First of all I never complained about having too much power. Since my last mod it's been a learning curve to keep the front end where i want it while shifting between first and second. Nothing I can't fix with more driving experience and a new part.

For the record I don't think I have the fastest car on the board and I don't care who does. Sun, Alan and Mikey have all being working on their cars and I would be happy to see them beat me or throw down good numbers at the track. Marco, Ahmad and Sal have already proved how fast their cars are and i have tons of respect for them. I was just picking the fellow members brain. The TQ converter comment was a joke.

I don't care about the past and wish you the best. Chill!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Sean,
Wow..you got me to respond after ignoring you for a year. Since you posted on my thread I will respond. First of all I never complained about having too much power. Since my last mod it's been a learning curve to keep the front end where i want it while shifting between first and second. Nothing I can't fix with more driving experience and a new part.

For the record I don't think I have the fastest car on the board and I don't care who does. Sun, Alan and Mikey have all being working on their cars and I would be happy to see them beat me or throw down good numbers at the track. Marco, Ahmad and Sal have already proved how fast their cars are and i have tons of respect for them. I was just picking the fellow members brain. The TQ converter comment was a joke.

Angie, I was never mad lol... Just thought this thread/your content was a bit funny, Please enjoy your E w/out killin' Yo' self Peace mama!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Benzgals car is fast. Just wait til it runs in some good DA with a good launch. I think it will surprise quite a few people. A high stall torque converter would make it worse but would get quicker times in the 1/4 since you can launch higher in the rpms. That is if you can get traction, but I am very confident some mickey thompson et street radials or hoosier drag radials will do the trick on some CCWs
Old 06-16-2009, 09:37 AM

Just put the car is C and feather the throttle a bit.

Not really that complicated.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 AM

E63
uhhh

unless you are running drag radials on a strip with vht I am going to say that there is no way your front tires are coming off the ground. Be a man, drive it.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Sean,

Thanks Angela ! There's no doubt you'll have one of the fastest 55's out there if not the fastest. I think, at least for me, the biggest issue will definitely be traction. That's what is so great about have these private track rentals, run, run, and keep on running until you achieve your goal.

As far as the speed shift goes, there's no way for Renntech to fine tune the shifts? It sound like that thing must really be slamming 1-2 shift. How's the tranny holding out? Would it be possible to have two separate tunes? Both with the same aggressive tune and one with a mellower speed shift program?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Thanks Angela ! There's no doubt you'll have one of the fastest 55's out there if not the fastest. I think, at least for me, the biggest issue will definitely be traction. That's what is so great about have these private track rentals, run, run, and keep on running until you achieve your goal.
What tires are you running? I have never spun my mickeys at the track. If you havent tried them I definitely recommend them. And if you are running them try lower PSI and/or longer burnout
Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean,
Thank's for the peace! We are even cause most of your post/threads are a bit funny. Later Gator.

Indyjoe,
I have been driving in C and it fixed my complaint. It was easy.

Ahmad,
Thank you for the compliment. I hope to learn from the master! I can't wait to see you build a 9 second car.

Alan,
I meant what I said about all of us and appreciate your comment. Your car is a sick beast and should kick butt that day. I made some cool friendships at Famoso and can't wait to have fun with you guys again. I bet Mikey is tinkering late at night in his garage and will blow all of us away, or silent Sun will bust out some new mods. LOL

The shift points are still smooth with the added power and Renntech did a tranny upgrade. Renntech could change my tune at the drop of a hat to suit my needs, but since I am getting more mods I need to wait until I'm done. Driving in C mode did do the trick. Mo is a smarty pants.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
this could help

Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
What tires are you running? I have never spun my mickeys at the track. If you havent tried them I definitely recommend them. And if you are running them try lower PSI and/or longer burnout
I'm running MT street radial II in 265-40-18's with Kosie 18x9. It's about 5/8 taller than stock but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. I think I just need to add the line lock so I don't have to worry about roasting my Evosport Rotors.....
Old 06-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
:facepalm:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keeping WHP to the ground?