Keeping WHP to the ground?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Keeping WHP to the ground?

My car is a DD and I am having to feather the throttle to keep my front end down between first and second on my speed shift program. Do you think a performace splitter and diffuser would help?

GO LAKERS!

Last edited by BENZGal; 06-12-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Must be nice to have that problem!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by BENZGal
My car is a DD and I am having to feather the throttle to keep my front end down between first and second on my speed shift program. Do you think a performace splitter and diffuser would help?

GO LAKERS!
Is your car lowered?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

GO LAKERS!
Sorry BENZGal, splitters and diffuser really have very little effect on a car till it reachs speeds over 100MPH. So when asking if it will help first and second, thats an easy NO it will not.

Try stickier rear tires, something with less than a 80 treadwear

See yeah
Old 06-12-2009, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Sorry BENZGal, splitters and diffuser really have very little effect on a car till it reachs speeds over 100MPH. So when asking if it will help first and second, thats an easy NO it will not.

Try stickier rear tires, something with less than a 80 treadwear

See yeah
^^^ Good advice.

Additionally, have you installed an LSD? Quaife ATB's are well regarded among those who've used them, as are Kleemann's LSD.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Wheelie bar.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Wheelie bar.
Nice touch
Old 06-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Having trouble keeping your front end down? Putting stickier tires in the back would only make the front lift even more! Do they make coilover suspensions for the W211 E55?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
wow! what mods and power/tq output do u have?
id love to have that problem!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Must be nice to have that problem!

Actually id hate that problem--- whats the use of the power if you cant transfer it? I mean really if her car has so much power what can be done except for putting The Godfather in her trunk
Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Wheelie bar.
Not just any wheelie bar.........but a Carbon Fiber wheelie bar
Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Having trouble keeping your front end down? Putting stickier tires in the back would only make the front lift even more! Do they make coilover suspensions for the W211 E55?
You are correct that stickier tires would indeed cause the front to raise more. I thought she meant she couldn't get any traction, by the title of the thread "Keeping WHP to the ground".

If the goal is to keep the fromt suspension from lifting while accelerating, than you have a couple of options:

1. Stiffer rear spriongs, drawback, less weight transfer and MORE tire spin, and more oversteer.
2. Stiffer front struts, specificaly jounce. drawback, again less weight transfer, more tire spin.

Coilovers, may or may not help depending on the valving of the struts, and the spring rate.

See yeah

PS: I have never heard of a street car that had too much front end travel, I guess I need to watch the Fast and the furious again, aka the last scene

Last edited by MRAMG1; 06-12-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Out Of Control!

Install one of these as a hood ornament. Should fix your problem.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by JamE55
Install one of these as a hood ornament. Should fix your problem.
Where can I pick one of those up?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport

GO LAKERS!
I know you like to always drive in sport mode, but have you tried starting in 2nd gear under comfort mode? It should help make the car start slow and it will relax the shifts quite a bit. If that doesn't work too well, it maybe worth it to look into getting a "detuned" file from RennTech for daily driving and keep your existing one for sports driving. With their new device, you should be able to switch between tunes fairly easy.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Out Of Control!

Where can I pick one of those up?
PM Hammer Down. He's got a collection of those in different styles.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by JamE55
PM Hammer Down. He's got a collection of those in different styles.
Speaking of those, what's the name of this one? I'd like to see more pics....
Old 06-12-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sun-Things could be worse huh! Hope your beast is healthy.

My car has an ELM and a Quaife. I am running C21/19’s with PS2’s.

What is a Wheelie bar and would it help?

Mr. AMG1,
I know it can be hard to follow my girly non-technical explanation at times, so sorry if my thread title confused you. I agree that changing out the back tire will only make my problem worse. The front end lifts up a tad bit but nothing like the hot rods on fast and furious. LOL Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe my car has so much TQ that I am having a problem keeping the front end down. When I roll into first and second in manual it’s not an issue. Would it help to have a different tire in the front?
Ahmad,
Renntech offers an adjustable caster/camber kit and a toe link kit. I am sure that would help?

Vic,
WERD!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I know you like to always drive in sport mode, but have you tried starting in 2nd gear under comfort mode? It should help make the car start slow and it will relax the shifts quite a bit. If that doesn't work too well, it maybe worth it to look into getting a "detuned" file from RennTech for daily driving and keep your existing one for sports driving. With their new device, you should be able to switch between tunes fairly easy.
Mo,
I can try that and see if it helps. The shift points are very smooth and I love my speed shift program. I would hate to give up that smooth shifting after 2nd.

James...James.... LOL
Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Car couldn't be running any better! Can't wait to get it out on the track and see how it runs now! Look forward to seeyin how yer car runs too!

Do they make coilover suspensions for the W211 E55?
Possibly in the near future?

Last edited by BenzoBoi; 06-12-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

My car has an ELM and a Quaife. I am running C21/19’s with PS2’s.

What is a Wheelie bar and would it help?

Mr. AMG1,
I know it can be hard to follow my girly non-technical explanation at times, so sorry if my thread title confused you. I agree that changing out the back tire will only make my problem worse. The front end lifts up a tad bit but nothing like the hot rods on fast and furious. LOL Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe my car has so much TQ that I am having a problem keeping the front end down. When I roll into first and second in manual it’s not an issue. Would it help to have a different tire in the front?
Ahmad,
Renntech offers an adjustable caster/camber kit and a toe link kit. I am sure that would help?

Vic,
WERD!
Hey BENZGal:

No problem with the non technical mumbo jumbo, I am just a techno car nut

Anyway, changing your front tires really won't change a thing in your situation. I know your car is REALLY a ground pounder, so you are not really leaving many options on the table. As Moe said above, you could put it into C mode or swap your Tunes. The latter isn't really an option IMHO.

If you stiffen up your rear end, pardon the expression, it will do what you are looking for. As I mentioned, the downside is that you will LOOSE some grip for draggin. I hate to say it, but all things in life are a trade off. You could also try stiffer struts up front, but I do not beleive it would make enough of a difference for your situation.

Front caster/camber plates aren't going to make any difference hear as well, I am afraid to say. It's a simple matter of physics and you are pushing enough torque to make her light on the front. So with that said, you need to change the rear set up, or change your driving style. And the latter I really don't want to see as I LOVE a lady driving HARD. Just ask Mrs AMG as she is a terror behind the wheel

Good luck

See yeah
Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
suggestions

as someone else has already suggested ... starting is 2nd gear is going to help a lot. Considering your torque though it is just a bandaid. You need to get adjustable coilovers to solve this problem completely. An ELM isn't going to cut it at all.

Good problem to have!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey BENZGal:

No problem with the non technical mumbo jumbo, I am just a techno car nut

Anyway, changing your front tires really won't change a thing in your situation. I know your car is REALLY a ground pounder, so you are not really leaving many options on the table. As Moe said above, you could put it into C mode or swap your Tunes. The latter isn't really an option IMHO.

If you stiffen up your rear end, pardon the expression, it will do what you are looking for. As I mentioned, the downside is that you will LOOSE some grip for draggin. I hate to say it, but all things in life are a trade off. You could also try stiffer struts up front, but I do not beleive it would make enough of a difference for your situation.

Front caster/camber plates aren't going to make any difference hear as well, I am afraid to say. It's a simple matter of physics and you are pushing enough torque to make her light on the front. So with that said, you need to change the rear set up, or change your driving style. And the latter I really don't want to see as I LOVE a lady driving HARD. Just ask Mrs AMG as she is a terror behind the wheel

Good luck

See yeah

Get rid of my tune, change my driving style....I'm am starting to feel dizzy! Neither one is option for me and loosing tracking at the drag strip is not a trade off I'm willing to make. Glad to hear your Mrs. AMG is a terror behind the wheel!

RENNTech offers a product called Coil Springs for our cars. Is that what I am looking for? They really did build me a car of my dreams and I pinch myself everytime I drive it to remind me that it's mine. I am planning a few more mods so I can't wait to see what that does to the TQ. LOL

On an educational note, how should I have described my issue of too much TQ and not enough traction to the front wheel or weight in the front? I wanted to title it WTQ to the ground, but I know that's not right.

SLK55R,
The speed shift program is smooth and allows you to shift with sharp shift points so giving that up would be a huge bummer. I have wondered if I could have them change the software to allow higher RPM's between first and second. The car flies like a bat out of he$$ right away so I have to shift pretty quickly to avoid the redline. I hope this explanation make sense? I guess I should be asking Renntech these questions. LOL They could answer my questions right away, but I felt like picking your brains today.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 PM

2004 S55 AMG
On a side note, is there post with your renntech build? I have been looking for one and can't find it. I would love to see what renntech did for you.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Vic55
Actually id hate that problem--- whats the use of the power if you cant transfer it? I mean really if her car has so much power what can be done except for putting The Godfather in her trunk
Talk about weight transfer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keeping WHP to the ground?