W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Dyno results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009 | 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
My brothers CLS55 was right off the dealer lot and taken to Dyno-Comp for a few pulls. Ken from Renntech was running the dyno and on the first pull it put down 430whp and like 450wtq I was like. Ken check your settings thats way to high. So Ken checked them and it was all good. We pulled the ECU out and send it over to Renntech to be read. It turned out to be the latest update of MBZ software. His car was running fat too; somewhere in the 10's. I like my A/F to be in the 12's

The very next day an SL55 came in and put down 380whp.

I really think some of these 55k's in cars like the CLS55 are rated more around 500hp rather than 469hp. I feel a hand build motor will always have an opportunity to out preform another of the same type... We joke around that some motors are build on a Friday and others on a Monday.
+1 on this. These 55s (and V12s for that matter) are the most f'ing complicated, random, secretive platforms I've ever dealt with. We know jack sh*t about them. Tuners expect us to just cough up money and pray they have it figured out, but they don't either. I don't care what tuner it is, even they don't know everything. There could be all kinds of changes year to year, software version to software version, parts to parts, R230 to W211 that we simply have no idea of because no tuner is going to divulge that information nor do people have the resources to investigate it independently. The 55 has so many platforms, from CL ro G-Class, and we don't really know what MBZ does to cater to each platform. Why does the G-Class have so much more torque? Cams only? Any updates for the '09 55 motor, or is it status quo?

Take the 4G63 motor found in EVOs and the DSMs (Eclipses/etc) - you better damn well believe that community knows every single god damned difference between every year engine. They know everything, every damned thing. We, by comparison, don't know jack. We can't even swap cams into our car and get it to run right. It's kind of pathetic really.

Sorry about the rant

-m
Old 06-17-2009 | 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I learned the hard way that dyno numbers can be all over the place. I've seen dynojet numbers vary considerably from dyno to dyno, mustang dyno numbers also varying greatly from dyno to dyno, and lately even dyno dynamics numbers varying from dyno to dyno. I guess it all boils down to the chosen settings by the operator when they first setup their dyno. In the end, dyno numbers should really only be used for delta comparisons before and after mods.