***** Long Tubes Coating *****

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
***** Long Tubes Coating *****

It's time to get the long tubes coated.. Looks like it's Reaserch time. What would be the best coating to get? I know what I think, but would like to hear what you guys have to say and why...
By the way LONG TUBES
Old 06-19-2009, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Hey Rick, how obnoxious are your headers? I've been going back and forth and I'm not sure if I want something that loud.... I must be getting old.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
IN THE CAR AND AT REGULAR SPEEDS YOU WON'T EVEN KNOW YOU HAVE THEM. but WHEN YOU STOMP ON IT, YOU WILL BE HEARD BUT THE INSIDE OF THE CABIN IS STILL QUIET AS CAN BE.. dO IT MAN .. wHERE DO YOU LIVE? Come on by and I'll take you for a ride..
Old 06-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
It's time to get the long tubes coated.. Looks like it's Reaserch time. What would be the best coating to get? I know what I think, but would like to hear what you guys have to say and why...
By the way LONG TUBES

Rick, What kind of SS are your headers? most common is 304. You do not have to wrap or coat with a ceramic paint. SS is a poor conductor of heat. I would not recommend coating your headers at all.

SS like 304 to 321 are great at keeping the heat from the exhaust gases inside the tubes. Thats what you want.

Mild steel or even 409 (409 is the lowest grade allowed to be called "Stainless steel"... it meet min requirements) should be coated because Mild Steel headers conduct about 220% more heat then 300 series stainless. With the heat leaving the headers it can have an adverse effect on its surrounding areas and result in loss of exhaust gas velocity, reduced scavenging = loss of HP

It is simply unneeded to coat or wrap a 300 series SS header. They have a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity over Mild steel. Mild steel headers need a coating because they just **** heat everywhere. Your SS long tubes do not. So a coating will have very very little effect on your headers if any at all.

If you want a nice new look to your headers you can scotch brite them or polish.

Go to www.burnsstainless.com find their PDF catalog download it and read the stuff after the parts lists. It will tell you all you need to know about your headers.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 06-19-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Swain
Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Swain
Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Swaintech. They are the industry standard.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
jet-coat?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Rick, What kind of SS are your headers? most common is 304. You do not have to wrap or coat with a ceramic paint. SS is a poor conductor of heat. I would not recommend coating your headers at all.

SS like 304 to 321 are great at keeping the heat from the exhaust gases inside the tubes. Thats what you want.

Mild steel or even 409 (409 is the lowest grade allowed to be called "Stainless steel"... it meet min requirements) should be coated because Mild Steel headers conduct about 220% more heat then 300 series stainless. With the heat leaving the headers it can have an adverse effect on its surrounding areas and result in loss of exhaust gas velocity, reduced scavenging = loss of HP

It is simply unneeded to coat or wrap a 300 series SS header. They have a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity over Mild steel. Mild steel headers need a coating because they just **** heat everywhere. Your SS long tubes do not. So a coating will have very very little effect on your headers if any at all.

If you want a nice new look to your headers you can scotch brite them or polish.

Go to www.burnsstainless.com find their PDF catalog download it and read the stuff after the parts lists. It will tell you all you need to know about your headers.
Uncoated 304 kicks out some major heat, and the heatsoak is horrible on these MB airboxes for NA cars.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Uncoated 304 kicks out some major heat, and the heatsoak is horrible on these MB airboxes for NA cars.
My evosport shorty headers made tons of heat and those were coated and on an NA car with an NA airbox. Have you ever seen how banged up coating get from having headers uninstalled for say, motor mount work? Dropped tools hitting off them? Stainless steel's resistance to rust and heat comes from the metal itself. Stainless steel is a poor heat conductor.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:07 PM

05 C55
http://www.jet-hot.com/headercoatings.html
Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by mkonei
And do it in RED! lol
Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Swain
Originally Posted by jangy
Swaintech. They are the industry standard.
+2 as mentioned in your other thread where you asked.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
My evosport shorty headers made tons of heat and those were coated and on an NA car with an NA airbox. Have you ever seen how banged up coating get from having headers uninstalled for say, motor mount work? Dropped tools hitting off them? Stainless steel's resistance to rust and heat comes from the metal itself. Stainless steel is a poor heat conductor.
Oh I know exactly what you're talking about, but I think coating them would still be useful.

Jet Hot is cool, but I've always wanted to try that Swaintech coating.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Oh I know exactly what you're talking about, but I think coating them would still be useful.

Jet Hot is cool, but I've always wanted to try that Swaintech coating.
Que eso Swaintech
Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Swain Tech Coatings has thermal barrier coatings for pistons, thermal barrier coatings for cylinder heads, thermal barrier coatings for valves, thermal barrier coatings for exhaust parts, and thermal barrier coatings for intake manifolds. Parts that see movement and wear will benefit from our low friction coatings. We have piston skirt coatings, bearing coatings, valve stem coatings, valve spring coatings, crankshaft coatings and coatings for other parts where frictions should be reduced and a solid film of lubrication can protect the part from wear and damage. For parts that run too hot and need to shed heat, Swain Tech has heat emitting coatings to improve cooling of parts.

DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE COATING IMITATORS! Over the years imitators have come and gone while Swain Tech remains the industry leader in thermal barrier coatings, friction reducing coatings, lubricating coatings and other coatings to improve the performance of engine and exhaust parts. Though imitation is the greatest form of flattery, most of these companies give coatings a bad name. These companies are long on promises and short on performance. They offer simple commercially available coatings and apply these simple materials to parts being used in demanding high performance applications. Inevitably, these inferior coatings used by the other coating companies fail and the consumer will likely never
try coatings again because they think all coatings are the same. This is unfortunate because Swain Tech’s coatings have been proven in all levels of racing and high mileage street applications for over 25 years. There have even been “do it yourself” kits sold, but those probably only appeal to those who thought the Flowbee was a good way to give yourself a “do it yourself” haircut or a can of spray paint is an intelligent way to paint a car.

Swain Tech Coatings has extensive experience in formulating coatings specifically for high performance use. Each coating is designed for a specific purpose. Each material will have a specific application technique appropriate for that material. In addition to the coatings we do for the racing industry, Swain Tech also has an extensive industrial division where we offer coatings to improve wear life, provide corrosion resistance, provide insulation from heat or electric, improve conductivity, reduce friction and offer many other properties. There are literally hundreds of materials we apply and several different application techniques are used. Our experience in part preparation, masking, and coating application is unmatched.

A relatively new development in coatings that is confusing to the consumer has been manufacturers offering piston skirt coatings or platings for the top of pistons. If a coating comes directly from a manufacturer, it should be viewed as in inexpensive “break in” coating. Neither the materials nor the application methods will give this type of coating any chance of survival after the initial break in period. Swain Tech can strip off the factory break in coatings and apply a good permanent coating.

If you treat your performance parts with the care they deserve, Swain Tech Coatings is the only choice to provide your coatings. Swain Tech’s coatings and workmanship are top quality. That is why we have been successful for over 25 years. We offer the highest quality coatings at a very reasonable price. When you look at the power and durability gains you can achieve with Swain Tech’s coatings you will quickly see that there are no other modifications you will do to your motor that will make more sense than having Swain Tech coat your parts.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Good quote, Hammer Down. RAR, specifically, here's the info on their exhaust coating:

http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969
Old 06-29-2009, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
I'm very happy with my swain coating.