***The Dataloggers Thread***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
Originally Posted by E55Bullet
Hey guys I'm new to data logging and from what I hear its the best thing to do to monitor the car. I have a PLX device hooked up, then sent to my Iphone. Here is a run I did a while back and wanted to know what you guys think about my tune, and the way the car is running. I have no idea what I am looking at. I believe this run was from 0-100 please advice on the correct way of logging and what I am looking at, Thank you very much, Chad
sorry I am having trouble attaching my file...
Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sorry I am having trouble attaching my file...
will email file to someone with knowledge because I do not have excel on this computer and It will not let me attach.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Mo,

I actually had an ECU go bad on this car and got a brand new one from MB ($2000) earlier this year, so I don't think that the file is the issue. The car had high IATs with my previous ECU and my current ECU.

As for the supercharger engaging/disengaging, around normal driving the car still does engage/disengage the supercharger at low RPM like a normal 55, so I don't think the ECU is having trouble disengaging the s/c clutch.

-m
If the supercharger engages and disengages properly under normal driving conditions, but does not do so under extreme heat scenarios (as it should), then wouldn't that suggest that there is an error in programming somewhere? Not necessarily from a tune but even from a stock ECU programming unless the ECU is receiving incorrect values or your datalogging equipment is not accurate. This is very strange....
Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG **sold** 2005 E55 AMG Take 2
Latest Log, temp 40 F%@#*ing degrees on May 6, that's just not right.

Added gear to last column just for giggles, While only logging IAT, RPM and Timing I was able to get down to .5 second sample rate.

Upgraded Heat Exchanger and Johnson pump, think I might have a bubble in the system.

Thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DT e55 may 6.pdf (63.0 KB, 217 views)
Old 05-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Originally Posted by E55KOMPRESSED

Added gear to last column just for giggles, While only logging IAT, RPM and Timing I was able to get down to .5 second sample rate.

Upgraded Heat Exchanger and Johnson pump, think I might have a bubble in the system.

Thoughts?
What mods do you have other than the HE and Pump?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 PM

SRT-6
I don't think you have an air bubble, the IAT's came down real fast when you got off the boost. You car has a lot more timing than I see on mine. I suppose it's the heat where I live more than anything else.

Les
Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by E55KOMPRESSED

Thoughts?
Your IATs stayed under 150 for the most part and did not go up as quickly as it went down relative to you rpm increase/decrease.... I doubt you have a bubble.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 GL550 2006 S55
will email file to someone with knowledge because I do not have excel on this computer and It will not let me attach.
Here is his file:

Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OrionS55
Here is his file:

Thanks Jason
Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Roseylv
What mods do you have other than the HE and Pump?
172 Pulley and tune
Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Velociabstract
I don't think you have an air bubble, the IAT's came down real fast when you got off the boost. You car has a lot more timing than I see on mine. I suppose it's the heat where I live more than anything else.

Les
Yeah I am concerned about the timing also, seems fairly high.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Your IATs stayed under 150 for the most part and did not go up as quickly as it went down relative to you rpm increase/decrease.... I doubt you have a bubble.
Sweet, thanks - fun doing 135 plus
Old 05-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Marcus and Mo,

I can tell you that when I punched mine twice the IAT would go over 200 but the SC wouldn't disengage immediately. It did however disengage when I punched it a few seconds later. No power was my evidence for this. Point is I'm not so sure that it instantly disengages when the IAT go from 199 to 200. I think there is more involved then just the IAT parameter. I've noticed that when it does go out it's always when I get back on the throttle, not during WOT. I'm betting that if you just kept your foot in it to get the IAT's as sky high as you could it would give out but again I don't think it's the instant it hits 200. From a little experience. I could be wrong however as my data logging and experience is limited.

Marcus,

I'm not sure how you're datalogging your IAT's, through the OBD-II or directly, but I'm going to do both just so I can get a "second opinion" on an important number and also so the sampling rate is nice and fast by doing it directly. If you aren't doing it directly but can I would suggest that.

Another thing to consider if you have sepearted your HE from the engine cooling is that you may have an obstruction somewhere either in the HE itself or a pinched hose. It may not show the pinch unless there is pressure in the system so just consider that. But having the fluid backing up and getting "stuck" in the intercooler could possibly show the symptoms you are having.

The other thought I had was that you didn't have enough volume which could cause problems. After reading all this I am going to do my best to double up on the HE's and add a good amount of volume. Eventually I'm going to do a resevoir but my 1/4 mile access is limited and what is available is in the mountains so I'm not looking for record breaking ET's so an ice box isn't a big deal for me personally aside from an easy way to add volume. Also give me a good excuse to put a HE in the rear bumper.

Last edited by Luke_M; 05-07-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Luke_M
Marcus and Mo,

I can tell you that when I punched mine twice the IAT would go over 200 but the SC wouldn't disengage immediately. It did however disengage when I punched it a few seconds later. No power was my evidence for this. Point is I'm not so sure that it instantly disengages when the IAT go from 199 to 200. I think there is more involved then just the IAT parameter. I've noticed that when it does go out it's always when I get back on the throttle, not during WOT. I'm betting that if you just kept your foot in it to get the IAT's as sky high as you could it would give out but again I don't think it's the instant it hits 200. From a little experience. I could be wrong however as my data logging and experience is limited.

Marcus,

I'm not sure how you're datalogging your IAT's, through the OBD-II or directly, but I'm going to do both just so I can get a "second opinion" on an important number and also so the sampling rate is nice and fast by doing it directly. If you aren't doing it directly but can I would suggest that.

Another thing to consider if you have sepearted your HE from the engine cooling is that you may have an obstruction somewhere either in the HE itself or a pinched hose. It may not show the pinch unless there is pressure in the system so just consider that. But having the fluid backing up and getting "stuck" in the intercooler could possibly show the symptoms you are having.

The other thought I had was that you didn't have enough volume which could cause problems. After reading all this I am going to do my best to double up on the HE's and add a good amount of volume. Eventually I'm going to do a resevoir but my 1/4 mile access is limited and what is available is in the mountains so I'm not looking for record breaking ET's so an ice box isn't a big deal for me personally aside from an easy way to add volume. Also give me a good excuse to put a HE in the rear bumper.
Thanks Luke,

What you suggested was actually another possibility that I was thinking about.... that maybe a minor leak or internal obstruction in the HE or even one of the hoses is causing this, but I get the feeling that Marcus have already checked that Do you know what temp IAT temp is guaranteed to shut off the supercharger?

Last edited by MB_Forever; 05-07-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
I don't know what temp is guaranteed to shut it off. I've just always heard 200 was the limit but I can see that it's not an on/off switch at 200. It could be that it will disengage next time you left off the throttle so it's not so abrupt or maybe another combination or perhaps a certain amount of time over 200. When it has shut off before like I said it always pulled ok, then when I got back on the throttle there was nothing.

Wrapping the IC is interesting. I wouldn't mind doing that if I had access to it say during a throttle body install or something. I wonder how much of an affect this had? Maybe it would cut down on heatsoak some? I still think you're kinda screwed with the stock IC but I know water/meth could help. I still can't wait to get the bumper off and try to fit a second HE in there some where. I just have this radiator sitting begging me to make it work lol.

Last edited by Luke_M; 05-07-2010 at 06:20 PM.