***The Dataloggers Thread***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Cars
***The Dataloggers Thread***

As I have seen a lot of random discussion around datalogging I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread that allows people to directly compare their logs and state their mods so that we can all compare our numbers and be able to determine a little more easily if what we are seeing is normal or not.

I finally dusted off my old trusty AutoTap and will be doing some logs soon on both the 55 and 65.

Before we get into the discussion, I want to say that I already know that off the shelf dataloggers for MBZ are junk. They have crappy sample rates and these numbers can never hope to be used for tuning. They are simply something for reference that needs to be taken with a grain of salt, period. Use these at your own risk, and please don't post on here telling us how crappy the dataloggers are.

I think the best way to post is an actual JPEG chart. Some quick instructions on how to do that using AutoTap:

1.) After you've logged the car, goto Logging and hit "Export to Comma Delimited File"

2.) Save the file as whatever, and open it in Excel.

3.) Delete ALL the columns except for what is important - Throttle Position %, Vehicle Speed (MPH), Manifold Aboslute Pressure (MAP)(kPa), Engine Coolant Temperature (C), Ignition Timing Advance, Intake Air Temperature (F), Mass Air Flow Rate (lb/min)

4.) Right click on the tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet and goto insert, then select chart.

5.) Select Line under "Standard Types" and then select the "Line with markers displayed at each data value" - hit next.

6.) Next to Data range: there is a box and next to the box there is a little button with a red arrow in it. Click the red arrow and select all the data in your speadsheet - then hit finish.

You now have what should be a nice looking chart. You may want to goto Page Setup and change the Paper Size to tabloid to get the chart to fit a bit better. Make it into a JPEG and post it up. Please make sure to also post your location, weather conditions, Datalogger TYPE, YEAR/MODEL of your car, MODS, and maybe even MILES.

I've attached a log from my old 2001 Audi S4, for reference.

-m
Attached Thumbnails ***The Dataloggers Thread***-022105-2245-35f-94-west-2-gear.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Great thread Marcus!

I've been playing around with my Dashdaq a little here and there but still haven't learned how to view my data.... Once I get my wideband installed I'll post up some data, take it that I learn how to view my logs .
Old 06-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
good thread i will post my IAT and RPM numbers tonight. FYI for generic data loggers the least PID's you select the faster the sampling rate will be.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 AM

CLS55 AMG 030
Anyone have a source for a good Data Logger for MB?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
JustPete:

I use http://www.autotap.com

-m
Old 06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by JustPete
Anyone have a source for a good Data Logger for MB?
Wayne @ LET suggested this one from Auterra to me. From reading it does look good, and does eveyrthing I would want from a scan tool.

http://www.auterraweb.com/dynoscankitwindows.html

NOTE: I do not have one (yet), just have not gotten around to purchasing it.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
www.dashdaq.com
Old 06-25-2009, 07:13 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Thanks guys ... I'll check these out!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
JustPete:

I use http://www.autotap.com

-m
Originally Posted by prodigymb
Wayne @ LET suggested this one from Auterra to me. From reading it does look good, and does eveyrthing I would want from a scan tool.

http://www.auterraweb.com/dynoscankitwindows.html

NOTE: I do not have one (yet), just have not gotten around to purchasing it.

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
That's funny, I ordered the Auterra for palm application about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, the serial cable I had would not communicate with the OBD adapter. New cable should be here tomorrow, so I will check it out this weekend.
From what you can tell from pictures alone, this software package appears identical to Nology's.
I'm not a fan of having to bring a laptop with me for datalogging, which is why I didn't go with Autotap.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Quick update: New cable working but...after about 15 minutes of scanning I lost the connection. Tried multiple times to re-connect before it would work again. From that point, it would intermittently freeze and then begin again. My initial impression is that I might have a bad OBD adapter, but I have also read about how slow the ecu is sending data. I know the Palm devise is quick enough to display more info, but either the ecu or OBD adapter is choking the data.
Bassn, was there a noticeable difference in response time when viewing live data from using the Nology to the Dashdaq?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Quick update: New cable working but...after about 15 minutes of scanning I lost the connection. Tried multiple times to re-connect before it would work again. From that point, it would intermittently freeze and then begin again. My initial impression is that I might have a bad OBD adapter, but I have also read about how slow the ecu is sending data. I know the Palm devise is quick enough to display more info, but either the ecu or OBD adapter is choking the data.
Bassn, was there a noticeable difference in response time when viewing live data from using the Nology to the Dashdaq?
I'm reading several different parameters with my Dashdaq and haven't had any issues. With Nology I only ran up to 6 different readings because things would start to slow down, but with Dashdaq I'm reading up to 15 so far with no issues. I'll do more testing this coming Friday when I hit the track.

The other night I ran against a modded 996 tt and have a crap load of data that I need to read. During these runs, visually, the Dashdaq worked flawless. We did wide open runs in Mexico from 20-150, 60-160, and 80-170. I'm going to call Dashdaq today and figure out how to read my logs and create charts to clearly see what's going on.

I'll keep you updated.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Thanks for replying bassn, you made my decision easier. I'm returning the Auterra and going with the dashdaq.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Thanks for replying bassn, you made my decision easier. I'm returning the Auterra and going with the dashdaq.
No problem. I'm acutally on the phone with Mike from Dashdaq as I type and they have awesome customer service.

What's considered a good sampling rate per second?

Last edited by bassn_07; 06-29-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I'm reading several different parameters with my Dashdaq and haven't had any issues. With Nology I only ran up to 6 different readings because things would start to slow down, but with Dashdaq I'm reading up to 15 so far with no issues. I'll do more testing this coming Friday when I hit the track.

The other night I ran against a modded 996 tt and have a crap load of data that I need to read. During these runs, visually, the Dashdaq worked flawless. We did wide open runs in Mexico from 20-150, 60-160, and 80-170. I'm going to call Dashdaq today and figure out how to read my logs and create charts to clearly see what's going on.

I'll keep you updated.
Please let me know about transferring the data into chart form, that would be so helpful!!

Dashdaq is a wonderful product, and now that I have it updated all that's left is getting my Innovate LC-1 wired into it.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
No problem. I'm acutally on the phone with Mike from Dashdaq as I type and they have awesome customer service.

What's considered a good sampling rate per second?
bassn 07, thanks for your feedback - that sounds like a really nice datalogger, albeit at the more costly end of the device range. I have a Davis CarChip Pro that I use from time to time, but it's a toy compared to the Dashdaq.

What parameters are you capturing? I'd guess timing, IATs, AFRs (if possible?), MAP pressure, load... but what else? 15 parameters is a LOT!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Which Dash Daq do you recommend? I don't see a Mercedes specific one. Only OBD2 & Popular Enhanced Parameters.

Is that the one to get?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
bassn 07, thanks for your feedback - that sounds like a really nice datalogger, albeit at the more costly end of the device range. I have a Davis CarChip Pro that I use from time to time, but it's a toy compared to the Dashdaq.

What parameters are you capturing? I'd guess timing, IATs, AFRs (if possible?), MAP pressure, load... but what else? 15 parameters is a LOT!
No problem. Dashdaq is a great unit but it's going to take some time to fully understand and utilize all of its capabilities. Yes, it's one of the more costly dataloggers out there but small in comparison to what spend on my car.

15 parameter is definitely a lot...... The only reason why I did this was to see how the system would handle it. I only capture a total of 8 right now with all the basics - MAP, load, RPM, speed, IAT's, Engine temps, and a couple of others.

I actually have the Innovative Motorsport LC-1 wideband for the unit but I'm waiting for my LT's before installing. This will be a great feature to have, not so much for tuning but just for viewing and protecting the engine. You could set limits on the Dashdaq that could have prevent catastrophic failure with lean conditions. Like I mentioned before, small price to pay compared to what our engines are worth. Not to say this will prevent anything from happening but at least I'll have tools to reduce that possibility.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by JustPete
Which Dash Daq do you recommend? I don't see a Mercedes specific one. Only OBD2 & Popular Enhanced Parameters.

Is that the one to get?
Here's where I purchased my Dashdaq combo.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=265&page=1

Ghostrider Quote:

I'll keep you updated.

Please let me know about transferring the data into chart form, that would be so helpful!!

Dashdaq is a wonderful product, and now that I have it updated all that's left is getting my Innovate LC-1 wired into it.
Great! I'm glad you also have the Dashdaq, this way we could help each other with the learning curve.

I also have the LC-1 and it should be installed within a month or so. Hopefully by then I'll have everything figured out, as for as datalogging goes.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Here's where I purchased my Dashdaq combo.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=265&page=1
Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Wasn't AutoEngenuity supposed to come out with a very powerful diagnostic tool with the ability to data log at a very high rate? Any news on that?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ghostrider

Ghostrider, once you get your LC-1 you'll be able to use their software to view in chart format.

Actually you can download it from their site. Here it is, Logworks 3.0. Give it a try and bump me if you have any questions.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support.php
Old 06-29-2009, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Ghostrider, once you get your LC-1 you'll be able to use their software to view in chart format.

Actually you can download it from their site. Here it is, Logworks 3.0. Give it a try and bump me if you have any questions.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support.php
Thanks for the link!! I have the gauge for my LC-1 installed in what used to be the ashtray. I just have to go back and get the wiring harness spliced in and connected to the dashdaq.

Just fyi... When I had my LC-1 installed that left the factory O2 wired up as well, something about the heater element that it contains.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Just wanted to update everyone who is looking into purchasing a new datalogger. Bassn was nice enough to send me one of his scans. Upon viewing it I realized that the transfer rate is not exactly what it seems. It does scan at a rate of approx. 100ms, however, being that the ecu is not refreshing nearly as fast, you will wind up with several scans of the same data. In other words, no matter how fast the scan tool is, if the data is not being refreshed by the ecu, you will not be able to utilize the speed of the scan tool.
I am wondering if putting the car into dyno mode(killing off stability, traction, abs) will help the data transfer rate by lowering the demands on the ecu. Thoughts/opinions?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Yeah...I'm pretty bummed about that but oh well. It's still a nice data logger and I have no regrets. Dashdaq has awesome customer service and they are doing as much as they can.

When I hit the strip I'll just log at most 3 items, hopefully that will help. I still highly recommend this logger and believe it's still one of the nicer ones out there. Fortunately my wideband will not be affected by MB's slow sampling rate....

Thanks again Lowprofile for viewing that file.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Sorry for the "newbish" question - but why do you need an additional wideband O2 sensor? In looking at the parameters than can be logged by the Dashdaq, it looks like you can capture the data sent from the primary and/or secondary O2 sensors already in the car...?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ***The Dataloggers Thread***