Sponsored by:

WAX and clean?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 E350 Coupe (3rd Benz)
Question WAX and clean?

What wax do you guys use? I can't afford a buffer right now, any advice on something I can do by hand? also lets have some info on if someone has a buffer, for those seeking that info and for when I am not cash poor.

I see this stuff at car shows, where he does it and then pours acid on the hood of the car and all that, is that stuff really all that? I want some quality stuff for my baby.

does anyone name there car? What names do you have? Someone else gave it a name, I don't really use it - Silly, because its a silly amount of power, haha.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
IF I were you, I would go to Autozone and grab bottle NanoWax and a 12 pack of microfiber cloth...
Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
The best stuff you can get from autozone is the 3 step meguires kit. It actually works pretty well, it leaves the paint silky smooth!

Or if you want to do it once a month the right way, head over to zymol on the internet and purchase some of their stuff!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by intellilogic
What wax do you guys use? I can't afford a buffer right now, any advice on something I can do by hand? also lets have some info on if someone has a buffer, for those seeking that info and for when I am not cash poor.

I see this stuff at car shows, where he does it and then pours acid on the hood of the car and all that, is that stuff really all that? I want some quality stuff for my baby.
IMHO, if they're doing an "infomercial-esque" demonstration to try to get you to impulse buy their product... you probably don't want it.

My advice, post your same question to forum sponsors Greg @ Detailed Image or Phil @ Detailer's Domain in the detailing subforum here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing...otive-care-37/

Both are excellent vendors - I've purchased myriad detailing supplies from both on several occasions, and have always received A+ service and support.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
The best stuff you can get from autozone is the 3 step meguires kit.
^Agree with this, if you're going OTC then Meguiar's stuff is tough to beat. Stick to their Mirror Glaze line if you can, plus a clay bar kit (Mothers or Megs is fine), and (especially for a white car) NXT 2.0 wax is a very good OTC option.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
IMHO, if they're doing an "infomercial-esque" demonstration to try to get you to impulse buy their product... you probably don't want it.

My advice, post your same question to forum sponsors Greg @ Detailed Image or Phil @ Detailer's Domain in the detailing subforum here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing...otive-care-37/

Both are excellent vendors - I've purchased myriad detailing supplies from both on several occasions, and have always received A+ service and support.

I completely agree. I decided to get some $129 Supernatural wax at Detailed Image just to see if it was worth the money. It is.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Zaino if you don't mind paying a little extra. It lasts forever but I recommend a carnuba wax over it to bring out the "shine". NXT is my second choice.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
I've been using Zymol products for the last 5 years or so, and have only good things to say about it. I also clay bar, and use Zymol HD Cleanse to clean the paint before the waxing, which must be done IMO.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
You don't need a "buffer" to apply/remove wax. There are plenty of waxes that are literally wipe on/wife off.

I use Pinnacle but it's pretty pricey. Another great wax is P21S (or for much less, go to a Harley Davidson store and get S100 - it's the same thing). put it on and wipe it off.

The most important thing is to make sure the paint is fully prepped and completely clean. Depending on it's condition you may need to polish it or clay it. Also, don't skimp on micro fiber towels. There are lots of cheapo towels out there that will micro-mar your paint like you can't believe.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
acb

2005 e55 amg
I get this bloke to clean my car

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=dd9_1197702377
Old 06-30-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Menzerna. Small family run company in Germany; used by Daimler, BMW, and Porsche AG. Best quality, imho.

http://www.menzernausa.com/menzerna-company.htm
http://www.topoftheline.com/menprodprof.html
Old 07-01-2009, 05:56 AM

OK, change up! - Exhaust tips cleaning?

Apparently Objectionable really knows how to clean them, what do you use? method as well. I got some metal polish w/ mothers ball and I don't see results.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:38 AM

E55 AMG
The tips were black and looked terrible when I got the car. I tried all of the auto parts store stuff and couldn't come come close to getting them clean. (sorry if this is starting to sound like a laundry detergent commercial) To get them clean I used steel wool and P21S metal polish that I got from Detailed Image. It still took about two hours to get them polished. I now give them a five minute polish about once a month and they stay looking great.

Last edited by Objectionable; 07-01-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 AM

Yea, mine are black now. steal wool, huh? any special instructions with that? do I run a risk of scratching them up?
Old 07-01-2009, 06:53 AM

E55 AMG
I was worried about scratches too. I was at the point where I just wasn't going to leave them black - I was going to purchase new exhaust if that's what it took. The detailer at the local MB dealer suggested the steel wool to me so I felt better about trying it.

I have to believe that there are some micro scratches - but they are not apparent in any way. The tips are bright and shiney with no dulling. If scratches exist I can't see them - and I have looked.

Give it a try on a bottom side that isn't obvious and follow with a good metal polish - you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
Steel wool for the tips, don't rub extremely hard, just take your time and they will polish right up.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Menzerna metal polishing cream. Works like a charm. If you cleaned them since the car was new, you'll be able to keep on top of it easy. Otherwise #0000 steel wool helps.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Originally Posted by Objectionable
I was worried about scratches too. I was at the point where I just wasn't going to leave them black - I was going to purchase new exhaust if that's what it took. The detailer at the local MB dealer suggested the steel wool to me so I felt better about trying it.

I have to believe that there are some micro scratches - but they are not apparent in any way. The tips are bright and shiney with no dulling. If scratches exist I can't see them - and I have looked.

Give it a try on a bottom side that isn't obvious and follow with a good metal polish - you won't be disappointed.
DO NOT DO THIS!! Use a chrome/metal polish- it will take a minute but the black will come off. The most aggressive thing you should use on the exhaust tips is a scotch brite pad.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:29 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by itsmeek
DO NOT DO THIS!! Use a chrome/metal polish- it will take a minute but the black will come off. The most aggressive thing you should use on the exhaust tips is a scotch brite pad.
No amount of polish and time would touch the tips of my car. Steel wool worked fine for me, what is the down side?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM

CLS55 AMG 030
Use Simichrome on the exhaust tips. Best chrome polish on the planet IMO.

I wouldn't use ANY abrasive, be it scotch brite or 0000 steel wool. If they were polished stainless steel, that would be another story.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM

2008 E63, White/Black, P030
Originally Posted by Objectionable
The tips were black and looked terrible when I got the car. I tried all of the auto parts store stuff and couldn't come come close to getting them clean. (sorry if this is starting to sound like a laundry detergent commercial) To get them clean I used steel wool and P21S metal polish that I got from Detailed Image. It still took about two hours to get them polished. I now give them a five minute polish about once a month and they stay looking great.
I got the same problem. Its carbon, very hard to remove, but I found a very easy way to remove them. Get a piece of aluminum bar with a straight edge and just scrap off the carbon. Since the stainless tips are hardened material than aluminum it will not scratch it. Then finish it with Mother's polish.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:08 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by KV3BLUE
I got the same problem. Its carbon, very hard to remove, but I found a very easy way to remove them. Get a piece of aluminum bar with a straight edge and just scrap off the carbon. Since the stainless tips are hardened material than aluminum it will not scratch it. Then finish it with Mother's polish.
Are the tips polished stainless steel?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
Exhaust Tips.....

i use chrome wax and a steel wool... I get complments everywhere about the shine...
Old 07-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Esh

E55
Richi:

Use this with an old toothbrush.

My tips were BLACK when I bought the car. I had this stuff left over from some old chrome rims from the SUV. It will take a little scrubbing, but by the time you're done those tips will be bright and shiny. Apply with toothbrush, then take off with microfiber or otherwise towel.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by intellilogic
OK, change up! - Exhaust tips cleaning?

Apparently Objectionable really knows how to clean them, what do you use? method as well. I got some metal polish w/ mothers ball and I don't see results.
P21S chrome polishing soap. I use it on all my AMG car's and it makes them look great. The S63 had soot on it that was there since new and it took it all off. It also works well and can clean up the worst metal around.

Buy it at detailersdomain.com as its the best web sight around for car care. Phil, the owner, actually is a top notch detailer who works on some very exotic cars. Other sights are owned by people trying to push product where as Phil is trying to show you exactly how to care for your car. He responds to e-mails promptly and is very quick and honest.

If you have questions I can help as well. I have a bit of background on care care and have closets full of products that I have tested.

For your car and working by hand I think any number of systems would work well. I would buy the same product for hand and machine use except the polishing portion (vs sealing and waxing) will require a machine one day. Get some clay, a paint cleaner and then a nice sealant and you should be set. Once you get a polisher budget go for the Flex random orbital polisher and a series of menzerna polishes and you will be set. Phil can guide you though the ordering of all that in a minute.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WAX and clean?