Custom LET Tune vs. Stock E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AZIPOD
I'm in SF as well. Where can you get a PC chip here? It's a swap right? Not a dyno tune?
Hey Jerry, If you plan on a getting a PC tune will LET refund you back your money? They should if you're not fully satisfied with your tune...right?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Confused more than ever!!!!

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
The more I see things like this the more I consider leaving my car stock. In ok weather I avg 116.5 in the 1/4 and in 50 degree I ran a best of 117.7 My goal is to run into the 11's and with DR's I believe I will get there. On street tires my best 60' is 1.85 and 1/4 12.09. I will wait until either we run into some colder weather or I will just wait until oct-nov to head back to the track.

just to be fair to the E55 with the LET tune, that left lane at Sac is VERY *****ty. I only run in the right lane when at Sac.
I am seriously considering getting a Kleemann pulley and tune (really the only option available in Pittsburgh) and now I read about a stock E55 out performing a modded car. This is exactly what I am most concerned about. It's not just the waste of money I am concerned about but the potential to screw up my car which currently runs great in stock trim. So what is the concensus of those of you who have made mods (especially K-1)? Is it worth the money?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Coalman
I am seriously considering getting a Kleemann pulley and tune (really the only option available in Pittsburgh) and now I read about a stock E55 out performing a modded car. This is exactly what I am most concerned about. It's not just the waste of money I am concerned about but the potential to screw up my car which currently runs great in stock trim. So what is the concensus of those of you who have made mods (especially K-1)? Is it worth the money?
Yes

The E55 in question may have some underlying issues that aren't apparent as of right now
Old 07-04-2009, 08:36 PM

A Prius because I'm green
Here's a video of a guy who was at the track with us and as you can see a modded car with a good tune is well worth it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4UonKyYDJs
Old 07-04-2009, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
is this the same stock e55 that was able to make high speed runs beyond the stock speed limiter???
Old 07-04-2009, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
is this the same stock e55 that was able to make high speed runs beyond the stock speed limiter???
Yes, I spoke with him and he limited out a 165. I thought the limiter was for 155 mph or..... Even if he happens to have just a tune, which I now doubt, it's still bad. He has no extra cooling, pulley, or any other modification. In my eyes if the LET car is slow with no other issues besides tuning it's not good. It just shouldn't happen, but than again I guess I have high expectations of what I pay for. JMHO. How many time should be expected to get a custom tune right? Would it be fair to have to find 5 new customers in order for LET to come down and re-tue if the tune happens to be the issue. I'm not saying this is the case in this situation, but this was the case and conditions of them coming down to correct mine.

Just to be certain he's going to take it to my tech and have it checked out. If he's lucky he'll have one but since he claims he limits out I highly doubt it. Maybe he could chime in for clarification.

Is it possible to go past the 160 mark with a speed limiter going full throttle or does it slow down after 150?

Last edited by bassn_07; 07-04-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Not to take any sides, but PC also requires at least 5 new customers for them to fly out to dyno tune.

If the speed limiter is at 155 the car will continue to accelerate until you hit 155 and it wont accelerate any further. Kind of like hitting a rev limiter
Old 07-04-2009, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
mine is yuned and i have a freind who has an E55 stock, i pull from him fairly fairly. but after he removed his primaries and resonators. we are even.

maybe i should remove my primaries first.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Not to take any sides, but PC also requires at least 5 new customers for them to fly out to dyno tune.

If the speed limiter is at 155 the car will continue to accelerate until you hit 155 and it wont accelerate any further. Kind of like hitting a rev limiter
Thanks for the clarification on the speed limiter. I know for a fact that he hit at least 160 during a high speed Mexico run. Would this mean he has tune for sure? He bought the car used so it's a possibility.

Nah, I don't think you're taking sides it's a discussion of all different views and opinions. Has PC even done a custom tune tour? If they do I guess we'll find out how they do on the road when compared. It will be interesting my friend to say the least. I guess I'm in favor of PC for many reasons and one being local. I'm just speaking out loud for the most part and definitely have a bias towards one company.

Either way I hope Azipod gets things straigten out because he's a great guy who loves modding his car. I really feel for him because he's going through the same ordeal I went through a very short while ago. I just want to see him not having to pay for several tunes like myself. It gets frustrating at times and hopefully it will get resolved.

I really wish he would have used my datalogger on a few of his runs. I'm not one to bug someone to use something if they wish not to. It just would have answered and eliminated so many things. Maybe next time he'll give it a try. I just can't think what else it could be because he has all his cooling mods with CM30 pump.....

BTW...trust me on this. If this was anyone else I promise you I would be here saying the same thing.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
mine is yuned and i have a freind who has an E55 stock, i pull from him fairly fairly. but after he removed his primaries and resonators. we are even.

maybe i should remove my primaries first.
Are you saying removing the stock primaries would be equivalent to your tune?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
no because his car is stock but he used to pull from me when mine was stock.

but after i tuned mine. i pull from him fairly good.

and after he removed his primaries and resonators. he is even with me.

his car is powerful as a stock one compared to others. dunno why !!!

he says that almost every day. he kicks it hard till 220 or 240 when going to work.

but i drive my car once every week or 10 days. and slowly >< unless i race someone
Old 07-05-2009, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
LOL... I've got to run someday to get some track time... LOL. And see how my tune goes.

I'll be surely free in January Home alone... Alan, Azipod... you've got to come also. To remove human factor plus w/ 1.6 60ft , we'll let Alan drive our cars. Then we could compare numbers.

The last time I went to Sac, a stock E55 beat me by 0.2-0.3 sec (I still had Evotech that time w/ stock rims). I forgot about his trap speed... I only managed to get 116-118-ish. So don't feel bad... LOL.

But to keep everyone well informed (so I'm not accused of badmouthing Evotech )... I pretty much lost tractions at least 2 times in every run (yes, 2 times... first @ launch, let go the pedal, felt the traction, floored it and lost the traction again ) with S/C shut off in the last x-hundred feet in some runs. My 60ft was ridiculous 2.3-2.4 (I think my best 60ft that time was only 2.2) Not sure whether my S/C shutting off hurt my time more or my loss of traction.

Since your numbers look pretty similar to mine... 2.3 60ft, 116 trap speed, high-12's. I wonder whether you experienced the same thing. If not, it seems your car bogged down at high speed/RPM, which kind of agrees w/ your dyno numbers (high tq, low hp).

Did you check your intake?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by zoink
LOL... I've got to run someday to get some track time... LOL. And see how my tune goes.

I'll be surely free in January Home alone... Alan, Azipod... you've got to come also. To remove human factor plus w/ 1.6 60ft , we'll let Alan drive our cars. Then we could compare numbers.

The last time I went to Sac, a stock E55 beat me by 0.2-0.3 sec (I still had Evotech that time w/ stock rims). I forgot about his trap speed... I only managed to get 116-118-ish. So don't feel bad... LOL.

But to keep everyone well informed (so I'm not accused of badmouthing Evotech )... I pretty much lost tractions at least 2 times in every run (yes, 2 times... first @ launch, let go the pedal, felt the traction, floored it and lost the traction again ) with S/C shut off in the last x-hundred feet in some runs. My 60ft was ridiculous 2.3-2.4 (I think my best 60ft that time was only 2.2) Not sure whether my S/C shutting off hurt my time more or my loss of traction.

Since your numbers look pretty similar to mine... 2.3 60ft, 116 trap speed, high-12's. I wonder whether you experienced the same thing. If not, it seems your car bogged down at high speed/RPM, which kind of agrees w/ your dyno numbers (high tq, low hp).

Did you check your intake?
It was more like 1.7.... Trust me, I'm not a good driver. I just do a burnout and smash the pedal to the floor with my DR's. Like Chiromikey told me "you have to trust your tires will stick". After I took his advice I started turning 11.3 consistently.

I'm going to keep my mouth shut until the problem is resolved and the culprit is uncovered with Azipod's situation. Time will tell. Regardless my opinion still stands that he should have it done locally if possible. I wish that I would have taken this advice a while ago before waisting 1k.... I guess it's called live and learn.

January....crap, that's a long ways away. Send the wife on vacation and let's do it.

I'm hoping more will come if I start posting up some better times. I had zero traction issues, more driver error than anything. Come this winter I still have one more person to prove something to...I'll keep his name anonymous...!!! I'm determined to get this guy to say "okay, your dyno numbers seem right with your times". Either way if my dyno #'s are still high for my times, they're still just dyno numbers. I feel, as a rookie, I'm moving a long okay and better times will come...I promise.

Let's GET-R-DONE!!! I'm still waiting on on some advice and suggestion from you seasoned veterans on how to improve my 60' times. As Blackbenz said I'll need to improve my 1/8 times in order to have a shot at 10's.

One more question. Do most people here believe a DA difference of 1500-2000 degrees would make a substantial difference in times?
Old 07-05-2009, 03:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Thanks for the clarification on the speed limiter. I know for a fact that he hit at least 160 during a high speed Mexico run. Would this mean he has tune for sure? He bought the car used so it's a possibility.

Nah, I don't think you're taking sides it's a discussion of all different views and opinions. Has PC even done a custom tune tour? If they do I guess we'll find out how they do on the road when compared. It will be interesting my friend to say the least. I guess I'm in favor of PC for many reasons and one being local. I'm just speaking out loud for the most part and definitely have a bias towards one company.

Either way I hope Azipod gets things straigten out because he's a great guy who loves modding his car. I really feel for him because he's going through the same ordeal I went through a very short while ago. I just want to see him not having to pay for several tunes like myself. It gets frustrating at times and hopefully it will get resolved.

I really wish he would have used my datalogger on a few of his runs. I'm not one to bug someone to use something if they wish not to. It just would have answered and eliminated so many things. Maybe next time he'll give it a try. I just can't think what else it could be because he has all his cooling mods with CM30 pump.....

BTW...trust me on this. If this was anyone else I promise you I would be here saying the same thing.
If he was able to accelerate past the stock speed limiter it is possible he had a tune or just the speed limiter was increased/removed.

Thats what I was told when I asked about a dyno tune. Sure would be nice to have a local tuner!

I think we all want whats best for others (for the most part). I try to help people out when I can and so do others and thats what makes this board so great. I will reserve my thoughts/opinions about the way the site itself is run/moderated but the members are awesome (again, for the most part lol). Good luck getting nto the tens, you are so close.
It was more like 1.7.... Trust me, I'm not a good driver. I just do a burnout and smash the pedal to the floor with my DR's. Like Chiromikey told me "you have to trust your tires will stick". After I took his advice I started turning 11.3 consistently.

I'm going to keep my mouth shut until the problem is resolved and the culprit is uncovered with Azipod's situation. Time will tell. Regardless my opinion still stands that he should have it done locally if possible. I wish that I would have taken this advice a while ago before waisting 1k.... I guess it's called live and learn.

January....crap, that's a long ways away. Send the wife on vacation and let's do it.

I'm hoping more will come if I start posting up some better times. I had zero traction issues, more driver error than anything. Come this winter I still have one more person to prove something to...I'll keep his name anonymous...!!! I'm determined to get this guy to say "okay, your dyno numbers seem right with your times". Either way if my dyno #'s are still high for my times, they're still just dyno numbers. I feel, as a rookie, I'm moving a long okay and better times will come...I promise.

Let's GET-R-DONE!!! I'm still waiting on on some advice and suggestion from you seasoned veterans on how to improve my 60' times. As Blackbenz said I'll need to improve my 1/8 times in order to have a shot at 10's.

One more question. Do most people here believe a DA difference of 1500-2000 degrees would make a substantial difference in times?
How quickly are you pushing the gas to the floor? Are you power braking? What rpm? The answer to those questions will help me give you some tips on launching. Everyone has their own techniques but I can share what I think works best. 10's are right around the corner for you, Mikey, and Benzgal (probably forgetting some others, sorry).

Depends on what you mean by substantial. I plugged in your best run in the dragtimes DA correction (I just put in 2000' since I wasn't sure of actual day on that pass) and it gives "Extensively Modified Supercharged and Turbocharged Engines" 11.145 @ 129.15 MPH DA makes a bigger difference on NA cars but definitely has an impact on all cars.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:27 AM

W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
Here it goes...........

Left Lane #131 - 12.880 @ 116.234 - Custom LET Tune, 180 Pulley, & H/E
Right Lane #105 - 12.558 @ 116.999 - STOCK

I'm still shaking my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c5-27v397U
Old 07-05-2009, 04:29 AM

I was the car that ran pass the limiter on a late night Mexico run. Although that rumor started because of my mistake since I always understood the limiter to be at 155mph. My car instead limits at 160mph so I wonder was it a manufacture mistake or did it get adjusted?

My car ran strong yes but others stock have ran harder but I still intend to have my ECU checked by a MB Tech this week. If it has a tune I will gladly post it and gloat in the fact that I got a free tune! I bought the car used with just 14k miles on it a year ago. I have no knowledge of what the previous owner did but there are no mods done to the car.

Now even if I find out I have a tune I still lack the upgraded Pulley and HE? This is causing me to question the tune and a response from LET, where are you LET? Please don't take me as bashing LET I would never do so but I will demand nothing but excellence from anyone who wants to produce MB parts and services.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i was just trying to get a clear picture. no matter...a tune only car shouldn't be beating a stage 1.5 car.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
How quickly are you pushing the gas to the floor? Are you power braking? What rpm? The answer to those questions will help me give you some tips on launching. Everyone has their own techniques but I can share what I think works best. 10's are right around the corner for you, Mikey, and Benzgal (probably forgetting some others, sorry).
My burnout is as seeing on the video and I try to keep that as consistent as possible.

Here's the technique that landed my my personal best:

I come up to the line, bump the 2nd stage light, get on the brakes, gas slightly to remove drive-train slack, come back to idle, and floor it. That seemed to work best for me last night. At first I was easing into the throttle of the line but that wasn't getting me the 60's I wanted. This is when Mike suggested doing what I just explained, which got me a 1.689 (personal best). I had several 1.7's and one other 1.698 with this method. When I hooked it felt like that was the best my car could get with that method at that time. I had no slippage at all, just squatted and took off.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i was just trying to get a clear picture. no matter...a tune only car shouldn't be beating a stage 1.5 car.
. I know you just want a clear picture with all the facts laid out. It's the way all threads should be.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AZIPOD

Left Lane #131 - 12.880 @ 116.234 - Custom LET Tune, 180 Pulley, & H/E
Right Lane #105 - 12.558 @ 116.999 - STOCK

I'm still shaking my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c5-27v397U
Don't worry too much about it Jerry, it will get resolved. At least you took it to the track and had a great time. You'll get it resolved and move on just like I did. Like Jangy said to me "growing pains" .
Old 07-05-2009, 04:45 AM

. I know you just want a clear picture with all the facts laid out. It's the way all threads should be.
Same here because I would hate for people to find out a tuner is having issues the hard way. If LET is having issues then the sooner the better we find out so they can fix it and keep up with standards that we demand for our cars. I know I was for sure going to get an LET tune but this has turned me away from it. I think if we post more facts like this we all can see what works and what doesn't. It especially would help me in deciding what to get by seeing what is proven to work.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:52 AM

My burnout is as seeing on the video and I try to keep that as consistent as possible.

Here's the technique that landed my my personal best:

I come up to the line, bump the 2nd stage light, get on the brakes, gas slightly to remove drive-train slack, come back to idle, and floor it. That seemed to work best for me last night. At first I was easing into the throttle of the line but that wasn't getting me the 60's I wanted. This is when Mike suggested doing what I just explained, which got me a 1.689 (personal best). I had several 1.7's and one other 1.698 with this method. When I hooked it felt like that was the best my car could get with that method at that time. I had no slippage at all, just squatted and took off.

Hmmm what about advice for launching in a stock car? Clearly Alan has more power than me but if I floor it I spin? In fact you can hear in the video, I'm the one that you hear spinning. Just trying to see if I can be lucky enough to have a strong stock E55 and get the title as the fastest and quickest. Clearly at 117 I think I have the power to do so, I just can't beat it with 2-2.5 60 foot times.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
Hmmm what about advice for launching in a stock car? Clearly Alan has more power than me but if I floor it I spin? In fact you can hear in the video, I'm the one that you hear spinning. Just trying to see if I can be lucky enough to have a strong stock E55 and get the title as the fastest and quickest. Clearly at 117 I think I have the power to do so, I just can't beat it with 2-2.5 60 foot times.
Aren't the tires and wheels here what you should be looking into?

I remember my P zeros (stock on my car). I could nto for the life of me get a desent road launch froma stand still, every one would jump me and i would play catch up.

got ps2 and omg the difference.

am guessing its the same to a degree for the track. Tire/ wheel combo has an impact
Old 07-05-2009, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
I believe the quickest stock E55 is running 11.7's. That's a pretty strong number and I think people will be chasing that one for a while, but you never know. I also believe he ran them on PS2 street tires....

You better hurry up because that modding bug is a nasty one.

You should purchase some DR's if you plan on hitting the track often. This will be your quickest way of hitting the 60 foot time you're hoping for.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Zod
Aren't the tires and wheels here what you should be looking into?

I remember my P zeros (stock on my car). I could nto for the life of me get a desent road launch froma stand still, every one would jump me and i would play catch up.

got ps2 and omg the difference.

am guessing its the same to a degree for the track. Tire/ wheel combo has an impact
I'm sure mine are horrible since I wasn't doing burn outs to save the tires. I was using my first time as a baseline and worse case scenario. I have Conti contact3s on 19inch SL rims. Would running DR's not be running stock technically in some eyes or no? What's the rule on this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Custom LET Tune vs. Stock E55