Sponsored by:

Custom LET Tune vs. Stock E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
Originally Posted by zoink
Now, I'll let you experts investigate what's going on w/ Azipod's car (and my car )... my guess is Azipod's car can't get enough air up top for whatever reason. That's why I was guessing air filter.
This is an excellent analysis. Just like what I said..... too much power down low but no power up top!!!

Btw, I've installed K&N filters since the LET Dyno day and had them on for the track. I guess we can rule out the air filter now.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Datalogger owners out there:
Can it also measure S/C boost?

I think cooling or S/C shut off could be ruled out also... since Azipod is using CM30 (vs. mine stock), upgraded H/E and was tuned in 25* cooler. So if Azipod suffered heat soak, chances would have been I got heat soak also.

BTW, when you replaced your filter, did you also check the intake tube all the way to TB? May be there are some pebbles there I believe there is a secondary fish-net filter in the tube and a member w/ SL65 (forgot who.. Marcus or AMG Fan?) found that the retainer collapsed... causing it to block the air flow.

Wayne/Jerry/Tony, where are you guys? We want to know your thoughts on this.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Just to show that the stock E55 was definitely running hotter than recommended on the IAT side and still managed to do okay. Next time Jerry we'll do the same with your car. Take a look.

Either way the stock E55 needs to address cooling if he wants to run better times. What do you guys think?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Just to show that the stock E55 was definitely running hotter than recommended on the IAT side and still managed to do okay. Next time Jerry we'll do the same with your car. Take a look.

Either way the stock E55 needs to address cooling if he wants to run better times. What do you guys think?

I already started by painting the Calipers Red, she totally gained about 10 -15 hp and some major cool points.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL.... w/ my original Bosch pump, I got heat soak only after 1 pull of 1/4 mile. I remember seeing IAT @ 195-200*F. Couldn't even feel S/C jerk on the way back... LOL.

Since then, I've replaced it w/ a newer one but still OEM - still Bosch? Not sure right now... I don't think I got heat soak that easily... never felt the car bogged down...
Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 AM

Mine was doing the same prior to this. I had it replaced about a month or two ago and noticed a difference in power and response with a newer one. I'm glad I had it fail then and not at the track where I would have been annoyed and discouraged from dragging again. Still just sitting there the heat was killing my power. I had to run and get gas and the faster speeds allowed it to cool down some and a very noticeable power gain was there. I watched my IAT's go up 10 degrees just sitting there watching some bikes cut in front of me.

I strongly recommend data logging!!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now you know why I haven't visited Sac or Infineon or what not since then...
Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 AM

Well a HE helps but a reservoir to pack with ice looked like a huge benefit on Alans car. I want one!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by AZIPOD
This is an excellent analysis. Just like what I said..... too much power down low but no power up top!!!

Btw, I've installed K&N filters since the LET Dyno day and had them on for the track. I guess we can rule out the air filter now.

Alls I know is you need to get this fixed asap, then run against me again and kick my butt like you should be doing! So we can enjoy being the quietest but coolest sounding fastest cars at Sac Raceway!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Jerry, Mike and myself might hit up the track this Friday if you're interested. I probably won't run my car again but I would like the opportunity to data log yours. I feel that this could help determine and resolve your issue. I would recommend resolving this before looking at another tune because if it's something else you'll end up throwing away your money. Lets get it done and put this thread to rest!

I actually have 2 loggers that we could use in each car, wouldn't that be interesting.

Maybe Zoink will join in!!!

Last edited by bassn_07; 07-06-2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: maybe Zoink will join in!!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 AM

Jerry, Mike and myself might hit up the track this Friday if you're interested. I probably won't run my car again but I would like the opportunity to data log yours. I feel that this could help determine and resolve your issue. I would recommend resolving this before looking at another tune because if it's something else you'll end up throwing away your money. Lets get it done and put this thread to rest!

I actually have 2 loggers that we could use in each car, wouldn't that be interesting.

Damn you guys are hardcore. I'll have to do it another day.
We can always go to the Wednesday night drags at Infineon but I think that's bracket racing, and we'll definately not get "unlimited" runs like we did at Sac.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:18 AM

I may not be unless I can maybe find a good deal on wheels and DR and get them here on time. I work the next two days and will be shut down away from a computer. I found two tiny metal wires sticking out of my side wall on my right rear. I need to have a tire shop look at it and call the manufacture up and see why that happened.

I totally see the heat soak issues and why our car needs cooling upgrades. I just got home and looked at my first run down the track when you were in the car with me Alan. Without lifting the front suspension and starting in second I had a 2.033 60ft time, E.T. of 12.866 at 103.73mph when I let off what 3/4 the way down in an attempt to stay above 14sec to let other people get a joy ride down really quick. Not even 10 minutes later when I ran it for real I had a 2.1 60 ft, E.T. 12.767 at 115.69....it was what sitting in 92 degree weather for that 10 minutes...ouch!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I still believe something is wrong with his car even though it was his first time to the track. During my 1st time I ran anywhere from 13.2 - 11.7 but my trap stayed within a 1 mph. His traps were low for his mod...IMO.
+1 although the car seems to be doing good in the low-end, it is definitely not running right in the top end. I would check for engine knocking..... it seems that the ECU is holding back in the second half of the run.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
After reading this thread, I realized I need to sell our 55 and go out and find a black one instead...lol.
Congrats Mike!
Azipod, next stop Maaco!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Please remember that our LET tuning, with a pulley and heat exchanger, put down 11.41 @ 119.xx. No other mods.

Any customers can also have our remote tuning kit sent to them. We can Dyno-tune anyone, anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

We also have West Coast dealers, where you can get reflashed.

If you are having mechanical or sensor issues, we are more than happy to assist your troubleshooting - give us a call.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Please remember that our LET tuning, with a pulley and heat exchanger, put down 11.41 @ 119.xx. No other mods.

Any customers can also have our remote tuning kit sent to them. We can Dyno-tune anyone, anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

If you are having mechanical or sensor issues, we are more than happy to assist your troubleshooting - give us a call.
I'm interested in getting my car reflashed and troubleshooted. I will need your help to coordinate this with a dyno shop in NorCal. Will Wayne be available to assist? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are these tunes specifically adjusted to the increase in air flow resulting from a 180mm pulley? I ask because if Azipod was running that lean, there's no way that software accounted for his larger pulley. That increased airflow would easily create the high HP and TQ numbers down low, and also explains why the car isn't making higher numbers in higher RPM's. I have the 1st gen ASP pulley in right now, and I didn't touch my ECU for 2 years. My car was the strongest E55 i've ever felt, and I've driven many...

Recently I remapped my A/F to have a 12% increase in fuel - I was running pretty hot and lean, although they say that that particular ASP pulley was the largest diameter you could go without a re-tune - 174mm i think... The car feels like a PIG now. It is so rich, 2nd gear feels like there is no supercharger at all sometimes. I have a stock H/E and the -10 degree mod (which, in all honesty, is worthless) and I've never had heat soak issues since I replaced my pump with another stock one.

Long and short: this, to me, is a lean vs. rich problem. Azipod's lean engine is putting a lot of power down low, giving him the jump and holding him until he is caught up to at the higher RPM (ie. further down the track) when the power begins to taper. A stock pulley with a tune most likely keeps that power up high, making the other E55 a better car in the top end.

Does this sound right? And what the HELL am I supposed to do with my car now!?!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 AM

A4, M3, 996, E55
Do you guys think it's the tune? LET was able to get a tremendous amount of TQ down low but HP was not very impressive at all, considering the mods.

I feel that the tune characteristics played out correctly at the track. I had massive traction problems at launch (high TQ) coupled with low trap speed at the 1/4 mile (low HP at peak).

During our last run (video), I thought I got him because we had an identical launch. However, once our tires were hooked, I was so shocked to see him walk away from me!

I've attached a copy of my last dyno to show the low HP but relatively high torque.

Left Lane #131 - 12.880 @ 116.234 - Custom LET Tune, 180 Pulley, & H/E
Right Lane #105 - 12.558 @ 116.999 - STOCK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c5-27v397U

I think several have already pointed this out..BUT based on the dyno the runs are exactly where i'd think they would be.

A rule of thumb when I was drag racing was that every 10th gained in the first 60 feet is worth twice that at the end of the track. The fact that you're having traction issues comparatively to him shows in the times. You're not making much power over stock and you're not able to take advantage of the extra torque and the net result is a car that's no quicker in the 1/4.

If you could take the .2 out of your 60' time to match his your car should have run a 12.4 , again about right for the power and torque numbers.

Is there more power to be had from the tune or some other issue???..maybe but based on that dyno graph I'd say the car is running about the number it should.

If it makes you feel better I have the same "issue" with my Renntech Stage I car. Makes 430WHP and a good bit of torque over stock but the one time I took it to the strip I couldn't get traction for anything. Was running 2.2-2.5 60' times and my best pass was 12.7 @ 113. I'm guessing my low MPH was due to the severe wheel spin to the point that I was lifting out of the throttle to shift early to 2nd before going full throttle again. Mostly Driver I'd suspect in my case but I still doubt my car would run any better than about a 12.2-12.4 based on my dyno numbers.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChicagoX

Wayne/Jerry,

After waiting patiently, I still have not heard back from you guys.

Please let me know what we can do about my car.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wayne/Jerry,

Thanks.
Have you PM'd Jerry or Wayne?

I expressed some concerns about my tune... in my case my dyno showed very high HP, but TQ numbers were just above average.

My car runs fine.. but i feel that the ECU is limiting torque and wanted to see if they can custom tune.

My current tune was "pre mapped" for stage 1 car.

Jerry agreed and told me to take it to the dyno shop in Camarillo and they will make it happen.

I would try data logging your car before you start messing with your ECU. Once you have timing, IAT you will be able to best determine some causes.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
We just got back from HIN - Chicago. Please call me on Monday so we can discuss.

JT

Wayne/Jerry,

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM

2006 E55
IMHO the 180 pulley is just to much for our ****ty 91 oct fuel. I played around LOTS with tuning turbocharged Audi's and Porsche's. The difference between NorCal 91 and east coast 93 was HUGE. Something to do with the additives. Some equate our fuel to east coast 89 oct.

That being said IMHO you should go with a smaller pulley and/or headers. The headers are known to reduce boost by 1.5 psi.

I am local to you. I run the 168mm kleeman, Kleeman headers and LET tune. We can do some freeway pulls for compairison if you like.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by C32madness
IMHO the 180 pulley is just to much for our ****ty 91 oct fuel. I played around LOTS with tuning turbocharged Audi's and Porsche's. The difference between NorCal 91 and east coast 93 was HUGE. Something to do with the additives. Some equate our fuel to east coast 89 oct.

That being said IMHO you should go with a smaller pulley and/or headers. The headers are known to reduce boost by 1.5 psi.

I am local to you. I run the 168mm kleeman, Kleeman headers and LET tune. We can do some freeway pulls for compairison if you like.

Where in the bay area, we do some late night Mexico runs every now and then. You might see the fastest all motor E55 run but for sure we have a friend with a nice 996 that likes to run. PM me some time!