So I ran a new cts-v late last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
So I ran a new cts-v late last night

OMFG...I ran the car in my 96 eclipse gsx (gt35r setup, dsmlink for tuning, 1200cc injectors, etc etc). Unfortunately for me, this was on the highway. From about 35 at the on ramp to 110 I held him at 1 car in front. I was behind him on the merge and he had been stomping his car from almost a mile before the on ramp. I passed him at the on ramp then he proceeded to put the whup-*** on me at about 110, I just gave up. There was no way that I could maintain that lead. I am only running at 13psi right now pending installation of new intercooler piping. Note that my eclipse has almost 170k miles on it, it stomps my e55 at any speed. Unfortunately it needs an engine rebuild VERY soon as it's now running very rough.

I must say that I have narrowed down my next car to the cts-v and the gtr nissan. The cts-v is one of the meanest looking sumoma*****es I've ever set eyes on in all black. There was also a pretty popular in this region srt-8 jeep trying to keep up but he gave up at about 55.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
E55
There's a few of the new Caddy's in our local car club. They're fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71oVtYI6kDA
Old 07-10-2009, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I wonder what a full bolt/pulley change with tune setup could make? I am thinking around 600rwhp and mid 10's!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
I wonder what a full bolt/pulley change with tune setup could make? I am thinking around 600rwhp and mid 10's!!!!!!!!
Very simple pulley swap, intake, exhaust, tune...yeah 600rwhp like nothin'.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 SL55, 07 E63, 07 S550
Hey Scott, who owns the black caddy?
Old 07-10-2009, 05:56 PM

around 600rwhp there are fuel issues that we need to have sorted out.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:19 PM

2004 Mercedes Benz E55
CTS-V

Might also want to get REAL friendly with a GM SA, because any GM after 2007 can now determine if any tuning has been done on the vehicle. They went to this system mainly occording to my SA at a local Cadillac dealer because of the Diesel truck owner's blowing up their engines and flashing the ECU to stock and playing stupid!

I would think that as advanced as Mercedes Benz is, they would surely have this on the new 6.3s, and surprised they don't have it on our 5.4s??

For you hardcore techies, maybe you know of a way to reverse this "memory" the ECU/computer holds, so the dealership will NOT know of any mods ever done.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Very simple pulley swap, intake, exhaust, tune...yeah 600rwhp like nothin'.
I keep hearing this but have yet to see it. the only one with these mods on drag times is right in line with what I've seen...high 11's. seems 100rwhp is missing from all the Internet hype.

*disclaimer: I like the car so to all the caddy lovers, please stay off my back!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: 09 CTS-V

I also own one. It is without a doubt a few ticks quicker than my E63, but requires more skill to drive as it has so much torque that one needs to modulate things under 30 mph. Of course to me that makes it all the more fun to drive. I am very happy with my Caddy, it is a lot car for the $$ and puts a big grin on my face every time it leaves the garage...as does the E63.

Last edited by NCE500; 07-10-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2009, 11:09 AM

The 600rwhp figure is the # you're seeing is from the stickshift V's. They dyno out alot more than the auto's. Sadly there is a ratio of about 7 to 2 in automatics. I had to order my stickshift special order from the factory. Thats a big reason why i went with the manual because at higher hp the auto starts doing all kind of quirky **** in my opinion - this is something though that all new cars that are auto and have uprgraded parts have to deal with.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by chiromikey
I keep hearing this but have yet to see it. the only one with these mods on drag times is right in line with what I've seen...high 11's. seems 100rwhp is missing from all the Internet hype.

*disclaimer: I like the car so to all the caddy lovers, please stay off my back!
A few guys out there have 600rwhp cars. These consist of crank and blower pulleys, headers, exhaust, intake, and tune. I know that Vette Doctors in Long Island has done an auto CTS-V and gotten over 600rwhp using Lingenfelter parts. It really depends on the size of the pulley and which pullies are being changed.

Does 600rwhp equate to amazing track numbers? Only time will tell bro.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
mallet cars had a 1000 hp CTS-V a few years ago, last time I seen him they were doing another LS7 supercharged version on the new body style... www.mallettcars.com
Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 AM

A few guys out there have 600rwhp cars. These consist of crank and blower pulleys, headers, exhaust, intake, and tune. I know that Vette Doctors in Long Island has done an auto CTS-V and gotten over 600rwhp using Lingenfelter parts. It really depends on the size of the pulley and which pullies are being changed.

Does 600rwhp equate to amazing track numbers? Only time will tell bro.
The torque is a double edged sword on the street/strip. Now on the highway its a whooole other story
Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
here is a pic of a V w an LS7

Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by Razorecko
The torque is a double edged sword on the street/strip. Now on the highway its a whooole other story
Yup, on my stock auto the car goes a little sideways on the 1-2 shift. On the streets, it does launch nicely, but it's hard to get that perfect balance between just enough tire spin and a smokeshow.

I'm sure that some of the enthusiasts will be running some great times with drag radials/slicks in the near future.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Yup, on my stock auto the car goes a little sideways on the 1-2 shift. On the streets, it does launch nicely, but it's hard to get that perfect balance between just enough tire spin and a smokeshow.

I'm sure that some of the enthusiasts will be running some great times with drag radials/slicks in the near future.
So any plans on modding the V?...I know you and will probably do so...LOL
Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
So any plans on modding the V?...I know you and will probably do so...LOL
Me? Nahhhh

Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Me? Nahhhh

Hahah...nice one Bobby! Congrats and we need to meet to see this beast.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
Hahah...nice one Bobby! Congrats and we need to meet to see this beast.
You're the one with the beast!

Definitely gotta meet bro.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Me? Nahhhh

Damn you already out of the M??? That was quick or was I sleeping and missed your thread? So tell me your thoughts on the V--- Im finishing up my M and would love to get another bang for the buck car instead of another 100k car..

Compare the V to the M since thats what Im replacing too... albeit I have an M6 which is not too much different than the 5. Or a C6Z06... you have experience there too I see...
Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by Vic55
Damn you already out of the M??? That was quick or was I sleeping and missed your thread? So tell me your thoughts on the V--- Im finishing up my M and would love to get another bang for the buck car instead of another 100k car..

Compare the V to the M since thats what Im replacing too... albeit I have an M6 which is not too much different than the 5. Or a C6Z06... you have experience there too I see...
The handling is not quite as crisp as the M5. The M5 has that certain feeling that you are more connected to the road and that the car is sportier. You will also notice that the car is very relaxed. The suspension is softer than the M5, the brake pedal, the gas, everything is a bit toned down.

Throw that sucker into a turn though and it will handle just as good as the M5 did. It's weird because driving around normal, it almost feels like a regular caddy would. Take it on turns, and the magnetic suspension instantly stiffens up. You have to get used to the car and understand that it will adjust to the way you drive. It is an excellent daily driver. Very, very refined.

The power is really nice. Instant torque down low (similiar in fashion to a 55k car), keeps pulling through top end. It doesn't rev high like the S85's, but you quickly get used to that.

The automatic transmission is also similiar to the AMG one. Not an SMG by any means, but tuning is supposed to be able to take care of that and make the shifts lightning quick. The tranny in auto mode is great. Of course if you go the manual route, the tranny is from the Z06. I loved the way that thing shifted.

Interior fit and finish so far is top notch. I like the interior better than the M5. Girls and guys both drool over the Recaro seats, black wood, popup nav (cheesy for some but I love it and most people think it's cool. I also like touch screens). Fake CF is fine, although not the real thing. Alcantara steering wheel is very cool, as well as the little lights and such. Panoramic roof is a very nice addition and I love how open the interior feels with the glass roof.

Exterior is mean as hell. I literally get 10x the amount of looks and attention in this car as I did with the M5. Not on the level of the Z06, but pretty close. Some people's jaws drop and the few car enthusiasts out there bow down lol. Girls seem to also love it, which is a big plus of course.

The speed for a stock car is just great though. Low end torque and high end horsepower. It's an LS3 with a supercharger, AKA detuned LS9. Of course it's a beast motor. You can also feel that this car is really tamed by GM though. The torque management and lower shift points are noticeable. Just makes me think how great it will be with a ecu and tranny tune. Modability is also there. Pulley kit, bolt-ons, and tune should make this a top notch street perform that is usable as a daily driver.

You have to test drive it though because the feeling is different than the M. You have a beautiful stable of cars, so if you like it, get it. If not, you already have some incredible speed demons with looks to kill.

Fully loaded it should come in around $70k. You can probably get a little bit of a discount. Superior Cadillac ships them around the US and gives like 7k off sticker price I believe.

Oh, and it's completely different than the Z06. It kind of gives me a Vette feeling at times (like how if you drive a C class, you still have that same Mercedes feeling as driving an SL), but it really is apples to oranges. The Z06 is still the ultimate sports car in my book. Raw and hardcore, yet refined enough to take a lady out to dinner and feel comfortable.

As far as bang for your buck: this one is it.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Yeah the '09 CTSV is badass; it does a vlazing lap time on the N-ring as well...I was looking at one as well as the other cars in the 55K family (CLS, E, and CL) but it's like the e55, a very fast saloon car and I liked the looks and hartop vert of the SL; the 4-dr didn't do it for me as my daily is a 4 door and I wanted something more fun and versatile i/e a very fast true 2 seat roadster and hardtop coupe in one. This said I've always loved the looks of the CL, and SL the most but the CLS is really really growing one me!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: 09 CTS-V Write Up

Italian S.,

That is a really good writeup on the 09 V, you could have a career in Automotive Journalism.

I'll add 2 points which are probably worth mentioning here.

First, I would test drive the car with both the base and the Recaro seats, as the base seats are IMHO o.k. for street use. I tried both and did not get the Recaros, the standard seats have worked fine for me so far.

Second, there is a handheld tune sold by a smart guy on the Caddy Forum which addresses the ECM and also TCM tuning very nicely. I've had the tune for stock cars in mine for a few months, and it really did away with the laziness. The car guy in me wants to mod as I know there is lots of power left on the table, but it now runs so good as is that I have managed to leave well enough alone....so far. This tune is also completely reversable without a trace, so warranty is not an issue.

It is not and will never be an AMG or M, but it is one heck of a lot of fun for the dough.

Last edited by NCE500; 07-13-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Bobby, thanks for the feedback... its growing on me and now I need to drive it... I love the ability to cut some costs and keep a barn burner in the garage along with the stupid coupes!!

If I may:

Are there guys lowering theirs?? I think the car sits high and do you have pics??
Old 07-13-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
Originally Posted by Vic55
Bobby, thanks for the feedback... its growing on me and now I need to drive it... I love the ability to cut some costs and keep a barn burner in the garage along with the stupid coupes!!

If I may:

Are there guys lowering theirs?? I think the car sits high and do you have pics??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So I ran a new cts-v late last night