Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by 220S
Was already tried with DerekFSU and JrCart. Remember?
what was the out come?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Hey guys, I have some new info to add.
The harness connector for the Audi throttle body is VW p/n# 1J0 973 713.

This connector is also used for some wideband O2 sensors. It can be found here as connector kit 17025: http://wbo2.com/cable/connkit.htm
Peter from Tech Edge linked up a mechanical drawing of the connector so you can verify fitment.

As well, I picked up a MB 82mm throttle body to compare pinouts.

HTH
Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Great info lowprofile! Keep it coming!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Here's a few photos comparing the Audi and MB 82mm throttle bodies.
In the photos, the Audi is always on the left and the MB on the right.

Here you can see that the Audi is about .5 inch taller overall. From this view, the Audi throttle blade rotates counter clockwise to open while the MB rotates clockwise.

Only real difference here aside from rotation is the port on the bottom of the MB and different bolt pattern.

Here we can see that internally the caps are the same however the connector harness is different.

I jotted down the pinouts while I had them apart and will post them over the weekend.

Last edited by lowprofile; 10-02-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: no photos???
Old 10-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Stock wiring will work with 82mm TB from MB. No rewiring, it's plug and play.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good info does anyone have the info or where we can buy a 82mm tb i need one or even if anyone has a 84mm that be very nice...........
Old 10-03-2009, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Mrbig
Very good info does anyone have the info or where we can buy a 82mm tb i need one or even if anyone has a 84mm that be very nice...........
Right now the only options are going with the 80mm (78mm throttle blade) or the 82mm(true 82mm throttle blade).
Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Stock wiring will work with 82mm TB from MB. No rewiring, it's plug and play.
Thanks. Having done this already your input is appreciated.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
thank you lowprofile
Old 10-03-2009, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Ok, tested the pinouts on the throttle bodies. Here's a few more photos. I labeled the 5 pins on the dual potentiometer as A-E. B and D are the pins which output values being read by the ecu.

Here is the pinout at the connector as related to the potentiometer on the MB cap. Note: It now makes perfect sense to me why people had to swap wires when using the MB 80mm throttle body. The 80mm throttle blade rotates counter clockwise (like the Audi) while the 74mm throttle blade rotates clockwise(like the MB 82mm). So, swapping 1&4 reversed the polarity to the dc motor correcting for the change in rotation direction. Swapping 5&6 corrected the inverted output values for the dual potentiometer.

Here is the pinout at the connector as related to the potentimeter on the Audi cap.

Options:
1) Pick up the MB 82mm throttle body and the electrical part of the swap is taken care of. As blackbenzz stated, "plug and play", from an electrical stand point.
2) Use an Audi t/b and swap to a MB cap. The easiest would be to souce one from a bypass valve. This will require the 1&4, 5&6, pin swap.
3) Use the Audi t/b and swap all the pins to the Audi connector plug.
4) Make a new adapter harness specifically for use with the Audi t/b.

It's been said a few times but, anyone considering this should realize that an adapter plate is needed if you want an 82mm throttle body, or a flange could be welded to the s/c inlet as blackbenzz provided a picture of. Then you will also need to modify the intake "Y" pipe outlet to match the larger throttle body. Last, you are increasing the amount of airflow so you will need to monitor your short & long term fuel trims. The computer can only compensate to a point. A custom tune may not be mandatory, but do not assume you are safe without verifying via wideband and monitoring your fuel trims.

If this all sounds like too much for you, consider the 80mm throttle upgrade. All of the components needed are factory MB parts and will bolt-on.

Thanks Shardul.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:51 PM

I have one and it's great but need a real 82 mm one can you help or no ? I need a easy install one thou !!!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Thanks for the info lowprofile. Just to add one more point, simply adding a flange to the inlet will not net you full gains. You need to port the sc inlet to 82mm in order to see the full gains. Otherwise your inlet is still a restriction. Also, with the blade opening in a different direction, couldn't this possibly flow less depending on the direction of the airflow (redirecting airflow could cause it to slow down)? I would think keeping everything in the same orientation as stock would be the best option.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Thanks for the info lowprofile. Just to add one more point, simply adding a flange to the inlet will not net you full gains. You need to port the sc inlet to 82mm in order to see the full gains. Otherwise your inlet is still a restriction. Also, with the blade opening in a different direction, couldn't this possibly flow less depending on the direction of the airflow (redirecting airflow could cause it to slow down)? I would think keeping everything in the same orientation as stock would be the best option.
what i want to make sure of is, is tehre a difference between stock intake and 80mm intake aside from the opening
here is a pick....
Attached Thumbnails some throttle body info-both-tb-housing.jpg  
Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Zod
what i want to make sure of is, is tehre a difference between stock intake and 80mm intake aside from the opening
here is a pick....
The only other difference is the throttle body bolt location. The MB 74mm, MB 80mm, and MB 82mm throttle bodys are all unique and cannot be swapped back and forth without an adapter or reworking the flange.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
On the contrary, Thank You for the info you have provided. I'm just following in your foot steps!

I'm not convinced that the rotation of the throttle blade will affect airflow. I base this on two points: 1) MB designed the 80mm on the '07 SL to open in this direction, 2) reading past threads, everyone raved when they switched to the 80mm, specifically part and full throttle response.

If you don't mind sharing, what was your solution to the "y" inlet pipe? So far I sourced the proper sized 0-ring (x type cross section) and it fits really nice but I'm curious if there is a better solution I'm missing. BTW, I'm using this with the "y" from the 80mm setup.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Ok, tested the pinouts on the throttle bodies. Here's a few more photos. I labeled the 5 pins on the dual potentiometer as A-E. B and D are the pins which output values being read by the ecu.

Here is the pinout at the connector as related to the potentiometer on the MB cap. Note: It now makes perfect sense to me why people had to swap wires when using the MB 80mm throttle body. The 80mm throttle blade rotates counter clockwise (like the Audi) while the 74mm throttle blade rotates clockwise(like the MB 82mm). So, swapping 1&4 reversed the polarity to the dc motor correcting for the change in rotation direction. Swapping 5&6 corrected the inverted output values for the dual potentiometer.

Here is the pinout at the connector as related to the potentimeter on the Audi cap.

Options:
1) Pick up the MB 82mm throttle body and the electrical part of the swap is taken care of. As blackbenzz stated, "plug and play", from an electrical stand point.
2) Use an Audi t/b and swap to a MB cap. The easiest would be to souce one from a bypass valve. This will require the 1&4, 5&6, pin swap.
3) Use the Audi t/b and swap all the pins to the Audi connector plug.
4) Make a new adapter harness specifically for use with the Audi t/b.

It's been said a few times but, anyone considering this should realize that an adapter plate is needed if you want an 82mm throttle body, or a flange could be welded to the s/c inlet as blackbenzz provided a picture of. Then you will also need to modify the intake "Y" pipe outlet to match the larger throttle body. Last, you are increasing the amount of airflow so you will need to monitor your short & long term fuel trims. The computer can only compensate to a point. A custom tune may not be mandatory, but do not assume you are safe without verifying via wideband and monitoring your fuel trims.

If this all sounds like too much for you, consider the 80mm throttle upgrade. All of the components needed are factory MB parts and will bolt-on.

Thanks Shardul.
I am looking to do the 80 mm swap, but I have hear that the harness needs to be re-wired. Is that true? If so, can you point me in the direction of a thread that describes what needs to be done?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Yes, the MB80mm throttle body requires swapping a few pinouts. If you go with the MB82mm throttle, there is no need to touch the wiring but you will need to fab a way to mount it. I'll Pm you back with the other info you asked for.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
So is there no MB / amg mounting housing available to mate up to this tb?

I.e between s/c and tb
Old 11-08-2009, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by stevebez
So is there no MB / amg mounting housing available to mate up to this tb?

I.e between s/c and tb
82mm?

you can take the 80 and bore it out to 82. since the 82 is not from a supercharged car the answer to your question is - no.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok so to be clear

The 82mm is an 82mm plate? If so what is the outer diameter?

the 80mm is an 78mm plate?

the 82mm has no MB /amg mounting housing and you need to modify your existing housing....?

The 82mm bolt holes are unique and different to
the 80mm? If so boring the housing won't help?

Is renntech the only supplier of the kit?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Ok so to be clear

The 82mm is an 82mm plate? If so what is the outer diameter?

the 80mm is an 78mm plate?

the 82mm has no MB /amg mounting housing and you need to modify your existing housing....?

The 82mm bolt holes are unique and different to
the 80mm? If so boring the housing won't help?

Is renntech the only supplier of the kit?

1) yes
2) Not sure the OD but it is at least 90mm
3) buy a kit, make an adaptor or weld a new adaptor on 80mm inlet. Port match everything.
4) That is correct on the holes but boring and adding an adaptor will work.
5) No ,,Eurocharged also has a kit..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-09-2009, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for this!!

Can you tell me how difficult it was to get the 82mm tb to fit the CF airbox? Is that the vrus airbox you have?

Also what Y pipes are you guys using with this if you dont have a CF airbox?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by lowprofile
On the contrary, Thank You for the info you have provided. I'm just following in your foot steps!

I'm not convinced that the rotation of the throttle blade will affect airflow. I base this on two points: 1) MB designed the 80mm on the '07 SL to open in this direction, 2) reading past threads, everyone raved when they switched to the 80mm, specifically part and full throttle response.

If you don't mind sharing, what was your solution to the "y" inlet pipe? So far I sourced the proper sized 0-ring (x type cross section) and it fits really nice but I'm curious if there is a better solution I'm missing. BTW, I'm using this with the "y" from the 80mm setup.
No problem, I love to help fellow enthusiasts!

Very good point with #1, I was just throwing out an idea. Of course the 80mm will flow more than stock but would a 80mm with correct blade orientation flow even better? Why would MB make one TB open one way and the other another way? It doesn't really matter but I would think opening the TB towards the airflow would create at least a little turbulence? No biggie, I just like to think about things that really dont matter lol. Guess it's the scientist in me

You can take a 80 mm y-pipe and take out the rubber piece. Then if you look into the bottom of the y you will see a protruding lip. Dremel it down slightly all the way around and it will then fit on the TB. Done.
Thanks for this!!

Can you tell me how difficult it was to get the 82mm tb to fit the CF airbox? Is that the vrus airbox you have?

Also what Y pipes are you guys using with this if you dont have a CF airbox?
Renntech makes a c/f airbox for the 82mm. If you have the VRP all you need to do is open up the inlet with a dremel or something. Very easy.

80mm y pipe with a little modification, see above. I personally got rid of the whole 55k airbox and ran a single 3.5" pipe with a cone filter. One of th emain reasons I did this was that my car car has a MAF, the E55 does not
Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
I just finished my set up, I bought 82mm TB for 125.00 I bought a 4x4 aluminum plate for 10 bucks, I had the tools to make the hole in the plate and drill and tap the holes for the mounting spots, I paid a machine shop 100.00 to bore my stock tb housing and tig my plate to the the housing. for now I'm going to use the stock air cleaner housing, the outside mounting is just about the same size as the outside diameter of the 82mm tb I ported the inside as big as it could go and will use a 3.5 hose to connect the two parts. I finishing up some other parts on the car so I no drive experience yet but for under 250 bucks I can't complain.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
I just finished my set up, I bought 82mm TB for 125.00 I bought a 4x4 aluminum plate for 10 bucks, I had the tools to make the hole in the plate and drill and tap the holes for the mounting spots, I paid a machine shop 100.00 to bore my stock tb housing and tig my plate to the the housing. for now I'm going to use the stock air cleaner housing, the outside mounting is just about the same size as the outside diameter of the 82mm tb I ported the inside as big as it could go and will use a 3.5 hose to connect the two parts. I finishing up some other parts on the car so I no drive experience yet but for under 250 bucks I can't complain.
Damn, you did it CHEAP! Can you post some pics? Where did you get the TB itself so cheap??? Was the machine work done on a CNC? Nice job You cut out the price of the inlet as well by using your stock one. Some people don't want to have their car down that long though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: some throttle body info