Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renntech ECU + Pully + Dealer =Trouble?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Thumbs down Renntech ECU + Pully + Dealer =Trouble?

Can a dealer tell if you have done this with just casual maintenance or working on something else that is not associated with this mod? Will it bring up codes for them?

I'm dying to get these mods, but my car is under the MB warranty until 2012, so I don't want to take a chance on them refusing work because of it.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:36 PM

2004 E55
Try asking around and find a service advisor who's cool with mods
Old 07-18-2009, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
On a casual pass...ECU...no...pulley...yes.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Depends on where you go, most techs wouldn't even realize there was a different pulley on the car unless they had to remove it. But, if you do install one, I would be completely honest and fill the SA in on it(wouldn't hurt to throw him and the tech(if you have one you always see) a little "bonus" for taking care of things). Sure, it might be construed as "shady", but if you are very cool about it, many times they are willing to put on blinders while doing work on your car, if you know what I mean.

Nick
Old 07-19-2009, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
do you tip your service adviser. if not start to, and strat tiping the guy who works on your car. me all i have to do when i have a problem i TEXT my serrive advise and he tells me bring her in and he makes sure that the same guys works on my car. so only 3 ppl know what u do YOU SERVICE ADVISER AND TECH .
Old 07-19-2009, 02:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500/2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium
Great idea! Just like a good server at your favorite restaurant or your favorite bartender. Tip well and they will take good care of you....
Old 07-19-2009, 03:42 AM

E55
LMAO! I didn't realize that so much under the table stuff went on to have a fast car

Funny thing is I did tip my MB service advisor a last month when I first got the car after I brought it in to have him look it over for the "final" factory warranty inspection *if you know what I mean*. Didn't realize I was actually doing the right thing already hah.

So, when they hook up the car in the future, no codes will come up with a "hacked" ECU? It seems like the stealership lives and dies by the "codes".
Old 07-19-2009, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by mthis
do you tip your service adviser. if not start to, and strat tiping the guy who works on your car. me all i have to do when i have a problem i TEXT my serrive advise and he tells me bring her in and he makes sure that the same guys works on my car. so only 3 ppl know what u do YOU SERVICE ADVISER AND TECH .
TIP?! Screw that, you're getting ripped off as it is. I got a tip for them...
Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by bobgodd
+1
Old 07-19-2009, 12:11 PM

09 c63 blk/blk H&R Springs & 08 e 63 blk/blk
here is roughly a service A inspection.

Interior
· Function check
· Check warning and indicator lamps, illumination and interior lighting
· Check windshield wiper, windshield washer system, headlamp cleaning system
· Reset maintenance service counter in instrument cluster

Wheels, brakes
· Check front brake pads for lining thickness
· Check tires for damage, condition
· Correct tire inflation pressure

Engine compartment
· Change engine oil and filter
· Fluid level checks of the following:
· Engine cooling system, antifreeze and corrosion protection
· Windshield washer system
· Brake system
· Check and correct battery fluid level
· Check battery condition
· Check catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation

Trunk
· Correct tire inflation pressure in spare tire
· Check battery condition

Pretty simple service for 3-400 dollars. Besides the oil change anyone could complete it...
Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Thumbs up

+1
Old 07-19-2009, 01:44 PM

///M5 Beast
Originally Posted by mthis

I actually do the same thing, i tip my service manager and the person who works on my car. My service manager is the ONLY person i go through, i call him directly and he takes care of me and i am modded.

For regular service i wouldnt worry much, unless they try to flash your ecu for a problem or a update. Most techs want to get your car out of there ASAP.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Well maybe if you tipped you wouldn't pay as much. I always give people price breaks that tip me. You save money in the end. Also I am pretty sure that renntech mods are the only ones that do not void the factory warranty and yes it's easy to spot a modded pulley.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Well maybe if you tipped you wouldn't pay as much. I always give people price breaks that tip me. You save money in the end. Also I am pretty sure that renntech mods are the only ones that do not void the factory warranty and yes it's easy to spot a modded pulley.
Maybe if you tip, you will pay more. I live in Fort Lauderdale and shop at Publix supermarkets. They have a strict "no tipping" policy. I don't tip the Publix cashier, my dentist, my physician, or my mechanic.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
I could really care less what you do. I am just giving people first hand knowledge from working at a dealer for 10 years.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:27 PM

I could really care less what you do. I am just giving people first hand knowledge from working at a dealer for 10 years.
Thanks for sharing the inside story from a dealer's perspective.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
Also I am pretty sure that renntech mods are the only ones that do not void the factory warranty and yes it's easy to spot a modded pulley.
As far as Mercedes Benz is concerned, they void the warranty just the same as any others. Individual dealerships will honor the warranty on various tuners that they either sell/install, or deny them all at will.

If you blow an engine with any tuner, including Renntech, expect to pay for it out of pocket. For major items, MB corporate gets involved & they will deny anything they can consider damage by modifications.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
You guys are tipping yourselves already by marking up the charges, so why should I give extra? Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by Andy0331
As far as Mercedes Benz is concerned, they void the warranty just the same as any others. Individual dealerships will honor the warranty on various tuners that they either sell/install, or deny them all at will.

If you blow an engine with any tuner, including Renntech, expect to pay for it out of pocket. For major items, MB corporate gets involved & they will deny anything they can consider damage by modifications.

Possibly I really haven't heard any issues with Renntech blowing engines. The reason i say this is because I have seen this posted before and Renntech's info was given to me before by MBUSA for performance products. I am guessing they have something going on together for them to approve of their products.

You guys are tipping yourselves already by marking up the charges, so why should I give extra? Just doesn't make sense to me.
I would appreciate not to be categorized by someone who doesn't even know me, but what I said still stands. I am just passing on what I know from experience.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
I would appreciate not to be categorized by someone who doesn't even know me, but what I said still stands. I am just passing on what I know from experience.
I did not say JonMBZ tips himself, I was referring to service advisers in general. If that does not apply to you then disregard; but what I said still stands. I used to work in the automotive industry, I know how service advisers work.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
I did not say JonMBZ tips himself, I was referring to service advisers in general. If that does not apply to you then disregard; but what I said still stands. I used to work in the automotive industry, I know how service advisers work.
You said you guys while quoting me. If that's not what you meant to say then sorry. If you worked in the industry then you know it makes a difference. Everyone has free will to do what they want at the end of the day the service advisors are still people just like everyone else and do appreciate a customers gratitude. I have had customers give me money gifts take me to lunch write gratitude letters etc when a customer goes out of the way for you then you do the same for that customer end of story. If you do not wish to do this then don't.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:14 AM

09 c63 blk/blk H&R Springs & 08 e 63 blk/blk
You said you guys while quoting me. If that's not what you meant to say then sorry. If you worked in the industry then you know it makes a difference. Everyone has free will to do what they want at the end of the day the service advisors are still people just like everyone else and do appreciate a customers gratitude. I have had customers give me money gifts take me to lunch write gratitude letters etc when a customer goes out of the way for you then you do the same for that customer end of story. If you do not wish to do this then don't.
You must have been an awesome service advisor!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 AM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
Possibly I really haven't heard any issues with Renntech blowing engines. The reason i say this is because I have seen this posted before and Renntech's info was given to me before by MBUSA for performance products. I am guessing they have something going on together for them to approve of their products.

I said blowing engines to take it to the extreme, not suggesting that Renntech products blow engines. However, regardless of what MBUSA may have told you about Renntech (or any other tuner) there are several members on here who have had warranty issues denied by MBUSA due to the modifications. One in particular had a rear suspension component (toelink?) rip out of the body & he was denied a warranty repair by both his dealer & MBUSA, even though the dealer sold & installed the Renntech pulley. Both the dealer & MBUSA blamed the extra ~20 hp from a 168mm pulley for the increased wear & strain that caused the failure... Warranty denied!

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ch-pulley.html

In short, it doesn't matter what they tell you to your face; if it isn't in writing, it is worthless & you are on the edge of having zero warranty if that's how they want to deal with it at the time.

Last edited by Andy0331; 07-20-2009 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Dug up the link
Old 07-20-2009, 02:14 AM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
Yes, Andy's post above has a link to my nightmare with MBUSA over a Renntech pulley/ECU upgrade. Don't listen to Renntech, they'll say anything to get the sale ("We'll stand behind you, we work with MB on all our products, we assure you that you'll have no problems and if you do we'll help take care of you..." etc.

When an a-hole regional inspector comes out and sees that the mod is in the car, BINGO, they will deny the warranty coverage, mark your car forever in the MB system as being modified, and will most likely deny ANY motor, powertrain, and (believe it or not) suspension failure based on the Renntech work. And Renntech will stay away from the problem and wish you luck with MB. Just great service all 'round.

I'd think hard before doing the mod. My HP gains were modest, certainly not worth the grief I was put through, nor the devaluation of the car which is now marked as having an improper mod (enough to scare any customer away).

This is an appeal to the V12 TT cars: it is purely software, so you can have the car flashed back to stock before taking it in and MB would have one less excuse to deny coverage while you still get crazy increased horsepower. Next car...

Renntech was a big letdown. I have the 'before' and 'after' emails and they border on comical. From being my best buddy, in tight with MB and ready to do whatever it took to show MB that their parts didn't cause a problem to "well, good luck, we can suggest a place that might save you a few bucks fixing it but the problem is with MB, not us..." Borders on fraud. Had I not had a super busy year I'd have taken them all to court and done what it took to make myself whole. I'll have to check my statute of limitations. Could be I can still sue, and Iv'e already done most of the prep work. Renntech won't even answer my emails or private messages on this board anymore, so you can imagine what their strategy is when it hits the fan.

Think twice!

Skeeter
Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 AM

Thumbs up

+1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renntech ECU + Pully + Dealer =Trouble?