Sponsored by:

What is the consensus on pulley kits?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
What is the consensus on pulley kits?

can i get an idea what everyone is using.
looking for best value for dollar and want a drop in no tune needed setup.
I realize a tune will maximize the pulley and I will do it in the future.
THanks in advance
Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by OJPAMG
can i get an idea what everyone is using.
looking for best value for dollar and want a drop in no tune needed setup.
I realize a tune will maximize the pulley and I will do it in the future.
THanks in advance
No tune, no cooling the max you want to do is 172mm and that might be pushing it. I'd say 168mm to be safe.

Best bang for the buck, is the 180mm ASP pulley, however you will want to do cooling with it. And software will most definitely help with a pulley of that size.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Stage 1 (Pulley/ECU) upgrades have dropped in prices by SO MUCH. Why not just get the pulley + tune?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG 030
A member said he had a 180mm pulley with no cooling or tune and said it was great until he got a tune and it messed it all up.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RenntechE55
A member said he had a 180mm pulley with no cooling or tune and said it was great until he got a tune and it messed it all up.
Who's tune was it? I've heard of one other car that has this same issue and I'm just wondering if it's the same tuner?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
I think it was a guy with a STAR that adjusted his A/F ratio or some thing the thread is a down a little bit and title says " help I broke my ECU" or some thing like that
Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 AM

A Prius because I'm green
I'm no expert but I just got my pulley/cooling/ and tune installed by James. I agree with him but I would recommend just doing the 180 pulley. It has more punch when it kicks on which besides the safety factor on the freeway which was my second reason for getting it, it's just more power and fun. James also installed my heat exchanger which may not be needed for every day use but in 105 degree weather at Fontana I was able to run consistant times within .1 seconds even when I was hot lapping. I couldn't do that stock with a smaller pulley in cooler weather. For the tune I'd recommend it since it now gives me more power than which I had stock and sooner by 500 rpms. I remember when I was stock I had to get on the pedal pretty good to get her going and to get the SC to kick on but not now it just slams you back sooner. That's my .2cents and it's what I recommend. Now I just need some LT's built for me and a bigger TB!

This is what happens when you roll with the fastest all motor E55 you end up broke and addicted to modding. Thanks Alan!

Last edited by Mikesamg; 07-22-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Ya I would just do the pulley and tune together, I have a tune for the 168mm pulley now but when I get home I will need to get a Retune because my car now has a 180mm pulley and some other goodies
Old 07-22-2009, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
I'm no expert but I just got my pulley/cooling/ and tune installed by James. I agree with him and recommend doing the 180 pulley. It has more punch when it kicks on which besides the safety factor on the freeway which was my second reason for getting it, it's just more power and fun. James also installed my heat exchanger which may not be needed for every day use but in 105 degree weather at Fontana I was able to run consistant times within .1 seconds even when I was hot lapping. I couldn't do that stock with a smaller pulley in cooler weather. For the tune I'd recommend it since it now gives me more power than which I had stock and sooner by 500 rpms. I remember when I was stock I had to get on the pedal pretty good to get her going and to get the SC to kick on but not now it just slams you back sooner. That's my .2cents and it's what I recommend. Now I just need some LT's built for me and a bigger TB!

This is what happens when you roll with the fastest all motor E55 you end up broke and addicted to modding. Thanks Alan!
Haha, if I can't spend anymore money I'll help someone else do it. Don't worry Mike we still have a lot of room to spend and I'll have fun helping you . BTW...you're welcome !!!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RenntechE55
Ya I would just do the pulley and tune together, I have a tune for the 168mm pulley now but when I get home I will need to get a Retune because my car now has a 180mm pulley and some other goodies
How's the LT build coming along? I'm hoping to receive mine soon so I could schedule some cutom tuning time in. I'm really hoping PC comes through on this one because I'm willing to stay on that dyno for as long as it takes.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by bassn_07
Haha, if I can't spend anymore money I'll help someone else do it. Don't worry Mike we still have a lot of room to spend and I'll have fun helping you . BTW...you're welcome !!!!!
Hell yea we do, I need to get Chris's info from you so I can see when he can build some LT's for me. I hope Renntech will come through like they did so far. I'm loving the new power and smooth shifting! I even had to look on my dyno sheets to see if I was correct in feeling the power sooner and sure enough on the dyno it was 500 or more rpms sooner. I want a rematch with that 996!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
Hell yea we do, I need to get Chris's info from you so I can see when he can build some LT's for me. I hope Renntech will come through like they did so far. I'm loving the new power and smooth shifting! I even had to look on my dyno sheets to see if I was correct in feeling the power sooner and sure enough on the dyno it was 500 or more rpms sooner. I want a rematch with that 996!
Watch out, I here that 996TT is going custum after he gets his new built transmission.... I think he'll soom be out of our reach .
Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 AM

Watch out, I here that 996TT is going custum after he gets his new built transmission.... I think he'll soom be out of our reach .
Well if it gets it to be 4.4 seconds or close to that from 60 to 130 I think he will be out of reach for most! I hope he does he's got a bad a$$ 996.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
How's the LT build coming along? I'm hoping to receive mine soon so I could schedule some cutom tuning time in. I'm really hoping PC comes through on this one because I'm willing to stay on that dyno for as long as it takes.
The the new pulley and intake on the 9th , then the LT will be getting installed on the 10th by chris him self , then hopefully Dyno-Comp will have tim for the tune on the 11th , so well see what happens. how long till you get yours? did Chris already ship them? who is installing yours?