Heat wrap/shield for intake ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Heat wrap/shield for intake ?

I got a custom aluminum intake system for my 55 and want to wrap it in heat wrap, heat reflecting sleave ons, or heat reflecting tape.

I found a place fairly local to me with ALOT of options and I can't decide what to go with..... What do you guys think>

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...l-Tape-10-Roll

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...Reflect-A-Tape

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...eve-Solid-Seam

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...Wrap-Lava-Wrap

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...p-Inferno-Wrap

I also want to get one of these to put over the IAT sensor in the back, since it gets additional heat from the engine bay that can make it read up to ~15* higher then what the actual IATs are. I have read about this trick on Supercharged Cobra forums ....
http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...Reflect-A-Boot
Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
custom aluminum intake? if you still have airboxes (not sure what your setup looks like) i strongly recommend wrapping those. more important to wrap those than then intake hoses
Old 07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jturkel
custom aluminum intake? if you still have airboxes (not sure what your setup looks like) i strongly recommend wrapping those. more important to wrap those than then intake hoses
no more stock airboxes. intakes have already shown .7-1.5mph faster 1/4 mile times over stock airboxes on a hot day. that is without heat shielding, currently they are off the car waiting to get get wraped once i decide on which product to use.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by prodigymb
no more stock airboxes. intakes have already shown .7-1.5mph faster 1/4 mile times over stock airboxes on a hot day. that is without heat shielding, currently they are off the car waiting to get get wraped once i decide on which product to use.

how about this ? I just bought that yesterday but not from that site I found something similar to that from ebay.

http://www.deicycle.com/Titanium_Exhaust_Wrap

Andy
Old 07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M-bENZ
how about this ? I just bought that yesterday but not from that site I found something similar to that from ebay.

http://www.deicycle.com/Titanium_Exhaust_Wrap

Andy
that looks simialr to couple products i posted links to. as i am doing more reading i think it's better for intakes to use the tape that reflects heat rather then exhaust wrap tape which doesnt let the heat escape..
Old 07-31-2009, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
nice little intake wrap thread with link to products some people use: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...t-results.html
Old 07-31-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
What about:

DEI HT Black Silicone Coating Exhaust Wrap Spray
Old 07-31-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG 030
nice little intake wrap thread with link to products some people use: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...t-results.html

I have my box shielding now ... waiting on that DATA LOGGER, to put it on though. so I can do before and after AIT's

I have no doubt there's going to be a very measurable difference.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:49 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
What about:

DEI HT Black Silicone Coating Exhaust Wrap Spray
You use the spray on the exhaust wrap. It's more of a preservative to the extremely high temps and elements.

Not necessary IMO on the intake side. Not hot enough and no problems with the elements.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by JustPete
I have my box shielding now ... waiting on that DATA LOGGER, to put it on though. so I can do before and after AIT's

I have no doubt there's going to be a very measurable difference.
awesome! OT, but i think Trevor (silverbulletamg) and I are going to close the GB after tomorrow night. We're both very anxious to start datalogging with the gauge and we only need a min of 5 people (and we're at 7 now) to get the GB price. I'm very interested in the drop you see b/c I will very likely go the same/similar route soon. I'll keep you up-to-date on ordering/payment/shipping as that approaches.

Last edited by jturkel; 07-31-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this is what i am going to go with i think. 36" isn't long enough thou
https://www.shopatron.com/product/pa...er=14500/681.0
Old 07-31-2009, 04:44 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
awesome! OT, but i think Trevor (silverbullemtamg) and I are going to close the GB after tomorrow night. We're both very anxious to start datalogging with the gauge and we only need a min of 5 people (and we're at 7 now) to get the GB price. I'm very interested in the drop you see b/c I will very likely go the same/similar route soon. I'll keep you up-to-date on ordering/payment/shipping as that approaches.
Fantastic! I can't wait!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:46 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by prodigymb
this is what i am going to go with i think. 36" isn't long enough thou
https://www.shopatron.com/product/pa...er=14500/681.0
Buy 3 of them?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
You use the spray on the exhaust wrap. It's more of a preservative to the extremely high temps and elements.

Not necessary IMO on the intake side. Not hot enough and no problems with the elements.
I have had tremendous success with wrapping my airbox. It really helped to keep the IAT's in check, especially on the surface roads. Even the stock airbox would get heatsoaked. It would be kinda like if we took a gulp of warm water after running a mile.

I'm going to try that spray on my custom CAI and see what that does, but so far, the gold heat shielding is the best product out there.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:45 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
I have had tremendous success with wrapping my airbox. It really helped to keep the IAT's in check, especially on the surface roads. Even the stock airbox would get heatsoaked. It would be kinda like if we took a gulp of warm water after running a mile.

I'm going to try that spray on my custom CAI and see what that does, but so far, the gold heat shielding is the best product out there.
Yep ... I haven't tested the IAT's myself , but what I did notice ... and it's very noticeable ... is after wrapping my tubes only, the heat soak for normal aggressive street driving has completely disappeared.

I'm waiting for a data logger to retest and to wrap the boxes.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Yep ... I haven't tested the IAT's myself , but what I did notice ... and it's very noticeable ... is after wrapping my tubes only, the heat soak for normal aggressive street driving has completely disappeared.

I'm waiting for a data logger to retest and to wrap the boxes.
You will see a progression in the decrease in temps. For me it was tubes, and then the bottom of the airbox and finally the entire airbox.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
You will see a progression in the decrease in temps. For me it was tubes, and then the bottom of the airbox and finally the entire airbox.
I was going to avoid doing the covers/tops mainly to maintain the look of the motor in favor of increasing the heat draw out of the engine compartment as I figured out an easy way to draw a lot of heat out.

On that note ... I bet some simple heat sinks would do wonders for the tops.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 PM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
If you go the reflective tape route, is there a chance of arch over,,,considering how close the box sits near the coils? Curious!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
I was going to avoid doing the covers/tops mainly to maintain the look of the motor in favor of increasing the heat draw out of the engine compartment as I figured out an easy way to draw a lot of heat out.

I know exactly what you mean, and that's why I have two different airboxs!! The one that has the bottom wrapped is for show because the top has been wrapped in carbon fiber, and the other has the full heat shielding wrap on it.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55

You've hit on one of the bigger problems: drawing heat out of the engine bay....

These cars are very well sealed in the engine compartment. One of the issues with insulating everything is that it will heatsoak, eventually. Once heatsoaked, it it difficult to get rid of that heat.

I applaud prodigymb's efforts, and think there are performance gains to be had in this arena. The DEI sleeve is a product I've used before, with good results.

One of the airflow mods you may want to consider is the windshield-wiper vent delete. At the rear of the open hood is a plastic assembly used to direct hot engine bay air to the wiper arm joints. This piece was designed to prevent freezing-up of the wipers in cold weather. This can be removed, and the underhood insulation trimmed slightly, allowing a large increase in heat evacuation from the cowl area.

Blower noise will go up, but underhood temps drop measurably.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
You've hit on one of the bigger problems: drawing heat out of the engine bay....

These cars are very well sealed in the engine compartment. One of the issues with insulating everything is that it will heatsoak, eventually. Once heatsoaked, it it difficult to get rid of that heat.

I applaud prodigymb's efforts, and think there are performance gains to be had in this arena. The DEI sleeve is a product I've used before, with good results.

One of the airflow mods you may want to consider is the windshield-wiper vent delete. At the rear of the open hood is a plastic assembly used to direct hot engine bay air to the wiper arm joints. This piece was designed to prevent freezing-up of the wipers in cold weather. This can be removed, and the underhood insulation trimmed slightly, allowing a large increase in heat evacuation from the cowl area.

Yep ... that's where I was headed. At least until I get a spare hood. Then I'm going with a much more aggressive approach.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoX

Yup, I removed my hood plastic wiper cover last year.. and its a must mod.

Also, I never use the engine cover.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by TopGun32
......Also, I never use the engine cover.
LOL, I call it the "oven pan"
Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
any pics of this wiper cover thing?
i cant picture it in my head atm, ill have to go and look at the car later on this afternoon.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
guys... just wrap my airbox tubes with one of those heat wrap...not sure it helps or not but its a cheap mods lol. Check this out,

Andy