W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SO close to going to jail yesterday! You guys ever close?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Not much to post about for me lately but this one sure is.

Out hunting and some ricers were wanting to have some fun. We get to my favorite stretch of highway in Mexico. A long desolate valley where I have never seen a cop.

I start to hammer it and with my car like many of yours, 110mph comes up quite fast. As I look down I see the 110mph and then look up to see in the distance...perhaps 1/4 mile or less, a white front bumper sticking out of the weeds.

Before he could laser, I literally locked up the brakes and ended up cruising past him at around 70 (bout 10 over). I know he heard the brakes squeal....he had to. I just hammered them and the car went into panic stop mode.

Heart beating out of my chest, I basically drove watching the rear view and my cue to pull over.

No ticket, no jail, but needed to go home to change pants.

Bottom line, on this stretch of highway, I usually go past where the cop was sitting at around 145-155mph.

Wonder what would have happened then?

Hope all is well for you guys!

Jim

PS. All happened during my recent trip to Mexico. Speeding in the US in illegal and dangerous.
Jim, how are you man? Long time no see, no hear..... I hope all is good. Try not to cut it so close next time

So, I take it the beast is running good these days
Old 08-06-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 / 2008 E63
Good one from a month ago. The county sheriff patrols the Oakland Airport here in the bay area. In unmarked cars / ford explorers no less. On the highway closest to the airport I blow by one at approx 100 in a 55. Caught it out of the corner of my eye, slow down but get pulled over. Notice 3 sheriffs in the car, none older than 30 yrs (I'm 40) and laughing their asses off. First one comes up and asks where I'm going (pick up kid at preschool, running late). First one retreats, followed by the second one who asks me to guess my speed, start at 75 and we work our way up from there. All 3 back in cruiser running me for warrants, still laughing asses off. Finally the 3rd one comes up, hands me my paperwork back and states they are letting me go. Warns me that the CHP is not playing games in this economy and I would have been toast...
Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Not much to post about for me lately but this one sure is.

Out hunting and some ricers were wanting to have some fun. We get to my favorite stretch of highway in Mexico. A long desolate valley where I have never seen a cop.

I start to hammer it and with my car like many of yours, 110mph comes up quite fast. As I look down I see the 110mph and then look up to see in the distance...perhaps 1/4 mile or less, a white front bumper sticking out of the weeds.

Before he could laser, I literally locked up the brakes and ended up cruising past him at around 70 (bout 10 over). I know he heard the brakes squeal....he had to. I just hammered them and the car went into panic stop mode.

Heart beating out of my chest, I basically drove watching the rear view and my cue to pull over.

No ticket, no jail, but needed to go home to change pants.

Bottom line, on this stretch of highway, I usually go past where the cop was sitting at around 145-155mph.

Wonder what would have happened then?

Hope all is well for you guys!

Jim

PS. All happened during my recent trip to Mexico. Speeding in the US in illegal and dangerous.
Does a close call count if I actually got taken to jail...
Old 08-07-2009, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Came close to going to jail back in 1972. Was on a country road with a friend in my 1970 350/350 corvette. I wanted to show him what it could do so I stopped in the middle of the road, revved it to about 3000 RPM and dumped the clutch. Little did I know I had stopped right in front of two police cars that were hiding in the weeds for speeders.

I didn't know they were there until I pulled into a gas station about a mile down the road. One cop pulled in front and the other behind me. They jumped out of their cars with their hands on the guns and ordered me out of the car. They thought I knew they were there and deliberately stopped in front of them to taunt them.

While I was worried about the reckless driving ticket they gave me I was even more worried that they would discover that my friend had been smoking pot and probably had some on him. Luckily I had nothing to smoke or drink and they were not interested in him. I told the cops I wasn't so stupid that I would have done that in front of them and they decided not to take me in, but it was close.

As far as the reckless driving ticket (and let this be a lesson if this happens to you), I arrived at court early and met with the prosecutor. I told him the car was always under control and no one was ever in danger and that a reckless driving ticket was an extreme overreaction by the officer. He said how about "unnecessary noise". I said I'll take it. I paid a fine of $25 and no points!!!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Shheeet!! I need a frigin' Time Machine to 1972 (I wasn't even born yet)

Originally Posted by Coalman
Came close to going to jail back in 1972. Was on a country road with a friend in my 1970 350/350 corvette. I wanted to show him what it could do so I stopped in the middle of the road, revved it to about 3000 RPM and dumped the clutch. Little did I know I had stopped right in front of two police cars that were hiding in the weeds for speeders.

I didn't know they were there until I pulled into a gas station about a mile down the road. One cop pulled in front and the other behind me. They jumped out of their cars with their hands on the guns and ordered me out of the car. They thought I knew they were there and deliberately stopped in front of them to taunt them.

While I was worried about the reckless driving ticket they gave me I was even more worried that they would discover that my friend had been smoking pot and probably had some on him. Luckily I had nothing to smoke or drink and they were not interested in him. I told the cops I wasn't so stupid that I would have done that in front of them and they decided not to take me in, but it was close.

As far as the reckless driving ticket (and let this be a lesson if this happens to you), I arrived at court early and met with the prosecutor. I told him the car was always under control and no one was ever in danger and that a reckless driving ticket was an extreme overreaction by the officer. He said how about "unnecessary noise". I said I'll take it. I paid a fine of $25 and no points!!!!!
I'd take $500 cash & my SL
Old 08-07-2009, 03:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Young & Dumb

I really enjoyed this thread... I've been off the board raising the kids, but still have the ol' beast under a cover most of the time. I tell you, its a real rush to NOT drive it for a while, then unveil it... like buying the car all over again, with mods right out of the box.

I had a similar thing happen to me right in front of a cop. Laugh at this one, I was 18 or so in a Starion ESI-R (keep laughing), molesting the waste gate to give it some fun. Boy I blew a lot of turbos back then. Piece of crap car, but anyway, I was off the 210 in Pasadena, just existing the freeway. Off to the right was a cop that was busy writing someone a ticket. I was wondering what the chances were that he'd leave his existing ticketing if he saw something else, like me burning out when the light turned green. Half heartedly, I popped the clutch a little as I turned left. Well, I did it a wee too much and lit them up, fishtailing and smoking away (yes, it would actually do it... it was a rear wheel drive ricer after all). I was freaking out. Going from 7psi to a turbo frying 15 or so with my new HKS clutch really DID make a difference.

Leg shaking (he was only about 30 feet from me when I did this), I rapidly went up the street, made a right on the next large street and calmed down. Please no, please no... one block, two blocks, he didn't come! I was so relieved. I started bragging to my friends, who were all white with fear as well, that we had one great story to tell. Best part is that I actually did it accidentally, kinda. You've all accidentally gone a little harder than you expected. I lit them up in front of a cop! We all exhaled with relief.

As I was getting ready to turn into an Island's restaurant I looked up one last time in my mirror. And he came. Roaring around the corner sideways, lights bright, he was smoking pissed. You know the kind of pissed where he doesn't care what happens to his car pissed. I could tell just by the way he over corrected some 5 times like a rabid dog. I about melted in fear. As I casually pulled in and considered parking (damn lot was full, no quick spot), he bounced in the driveway, slammed on his brakes, got on his speaker and ordered us to put our hands out of the windows and not to move. Pedestrians and restaurant goes began to scatter, yet still observe, jaws dropping. Young and dumb.

That guy didn't move... he waited for two other cars to show up. They extracted us one by one, questioned my 3 friends after hearing my stuipd, humiliating story of new clutches and accidental slipage. You know its bad when you don't even buy your own story. I couldn't believe he let me go. He had never finished writing the other person's ticket.

I have bad luck with accidental speeding. My other story involves me pulling out of a blockbuster in the 55 with my pregnant wife, going all of 200 feet at MOST and getting pulled over and arrested for reckless driving (some mile away). I was stunned. I don't think I ever hit 35, or even had a chance to. The officer got outrun by some other silver Mercedes, and thought I was it. My mistake as many of you have learned was telling him he was a frickin' nut sack and should stop the crazy pills. That got me cuffed and thrown in the back of his cruiser. A blockbuster receipt and witness accounts of how I had just rented a chick flick at my 7 month prego wife's request... and couldn't have possibly been a mile away where the "incident" happened, and I won in court. I probably could have just been diplomatic and never had an issue. Cooler heads prevail.

Hope everyone is well!

Loren

Originally Posted by Coalman

Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Originally Posted by FlyByNight
My mistake as many of you have learned was telling him he was a frickin' nut sack and should stop the crazy pills. That got me cuffed and thrown in the back of his cruiser. A blockbuster receipt and witness accounts of how I had just rented a chick flick at my 7 month prego wife's request... and couldn't have possibly been a mile away where the "incident" happened, and I won in court. I probably could have just been diplomatic and never had an issue. Cooler heads prevail.
Thank your lucky stars he didn't taze you!