Sponsored by:

I think I might have bent an axle...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I think I might have bent an axle...

I was ran off the road by another driver last night and ended up hitting a curb sideways HARD and long story short, my car is not looking too hot right now. Can anyone tell if I bent an axle or not? Surprisingly absolutely NO damage to the body- just the suspensions/wheels/tires is completely hammered. It's going to the MB dealership Monday or Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails I think I might have bent an axle...-6-13-2009-002.jpg   I think I might have bent an axle...-6-13-2009-003.jpg   I think I might have bent an axle...-6-13-2009-007.jpg   I think I might have bent an axle...-6-13-2009-010.jpg   I think I might have bent an axle...-6-13-2009-011.jpg  

I think I might have bent an axle...-6-13-2009-013.jpg  
Old 06-14-2009, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
please tell me you got the license number off that jerk!
sorry to hear about the car
Old 06-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The control arms are likely toasted along with bushings, etc. Steering rack, too. The arms bend easily, compared to the solid parts so it should be fixable, but maybe expensive (lots of little parts).
Old 06-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by Donovan386
I was ran off the road by another driver last night and ended up hitting a curb sideways HARD and long story short, my car is not looking too hot right now. Can anyone tell if I bent an axle or not? Surprisingly absolutely NO damage to the body- just the suspensions/wheels/tires is completely hammered. It's going to the MB dealership Monday or Tuesday.
From the pictures, your car looks like a 4x4

Sorry to hear about the incident.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 PM

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
The control arms are likely toasted along with bushings, etc. Steering rack, too. The arms bend easily, compared to the solid parts so it should be fixable, but maybe expensive (lots of little parts).

Sounds like it may not be anything too major. Sitting in the garage it looks absolutely horrid. Nothing like seeing your dream car sitting there in pain...thank god for insurance.

No license plate # unfortunately. It happened so quickly that I could hardly get a good luck at the truck itself.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 PM

E55
Also, does anyone know if MB dealerships will work with you on putting aftermarket parts on there instead of OEM? Only reason I ask is because I'd love to buy a set of the matte black Monarch 63 RS wheels and put them on there instead of the OEM AMG twin-spoke wheels. It will probably end up costing less anyhow. Anyone know how much the OEM wheels are new?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 PM

2007 E63 AMG, 2012 F250 4x4

Glad to hear no body damage. Sux you couldn't get the plate #. Hope everything works out.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Front wheels are about 350 and rear ones are about 400 a piece.
It just depends to whom the insurance check is cut. If it is in your name you can eaisly get the wheels you want if it is in the dealerships name it may be a bit hard to get the wheels you want. IMO take it to a mb indy who will do what you want.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:46 PM

E55
Originally Posted by shardul
Front wheels are about 350 and rear ones are about 400 a piece.
It just depends to whom the insurance check is cut. If it is in your name you can eaisly get the wheels you want if it is in the dealerships name it may be a bit hard to get the wheels you want. IMO take it to a mb indy who will do what you want.
I already spoke to the insurance company and it appears that the check will be made out to me as well as the dealership. I'm more concerned with getting my car fixed so I will probably just have them put the twin-spoke rims back on there. Both of the left side rims are beat up pretty bad and the inside of the right rear rim I believe is bent as well. I haven't been able to look at the left front but I imagine it can't be good either.

Anyone know of a good MB Indy in Austin, Texas?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Sitting in the garage it looks absolutely horrid. Nothing like seeing your dream car sitting there in pain...thank god for insurance.

I know how you feel and it is lucky that the body is fine.

Each body shop is different in their level of cooperation, but keep in mind that having insurance simply means that they need to pay for the damages. In many cases, you have the right to replace with "like" parts. Your insurance should approve how many wheels are damaged and what the cost is. Then, you should be able to use that money towards any wheels that are "comparable).

Consider aftermarket bushings as well since you may have the car torn apart anyway. Last thing would be to consider any brake work like rotors, painted calipers, etc. Take advantage of the down time and turn it positive.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
sorry to hear that, i can understand your feeling

that sucker is lucky you didn't got his plate #
Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Looks like you have about -10-deg of rear camber Certainly things bent and broken in there.

Good luck getting her all fixed up--please let us know what the final diagnosis is!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM

E55
So it looks like all 4 wheels are bent, the left rear shock needed replacing and they also replaced some tie rods and other tidbits.

They got the wheels in, replaced the two left tires and tried to align it- now they realized they also need a left front strut and some other parts.

My question is- they seem to be replacing parts they could tell needed replacing, then trying to align it, then ordering more parts, and trying to see if that fixes it. Is that normal practice for a repair shop? It's not at the actual dealership, but a collision center owned by the dealership. It seems really inefficient to order parts multiple times- why not just figure out everything you need the first time and fix it right the first time? They've had my car in their posession for 25 days and it seems like it's getting to be excessive.

Just curious as to what others have experienced in terms of normal repair time. I'm anxious to get back in my car but my main concern is that it gets fixed correctly.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Not to worry my car took 3 month to repair
Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
It appears that everything is fixable, and the good part is you weren't harmed. Good luck getting everything fixed
Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
the links will all bend and break before the subframe gets bent (normally). It looks pretty bent but its all very fixable. Just make sure all mounting points are straight and if anything looks at all tweaked get new front and rear subframes too. that likes would only be an issue it looks in the back.

Just take it in and say call the insurance company. Your baby looks like she will be fine!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
So it looks like all 4 wheels are bent, the left rear shock needed replacing and they also replaced some tie rods and other tidbits.

They got the wheels in, replaced the two left tires and tried to align it- now they realized they also need a left front strut and some other parts.

My question is- they seem to be replacing parts they could tell needed replacing, then trying to align it, then ordering more parts, and trying to see if that fixes it. Is that normal practice for a repair shop? It's not at the actual dealership, but a collision center owned by the dealership. It seems really inefficient to order parts multiple times- why not just figure out everything you need the first time and fix it right the first time? They've had my car in their posession for 25 days and it seems like it's getting to be excessive.

Just curious as to what others have experienced in terms of normal repair time. I'm anxious to get back in my car but my main concern is that it gets fixed correctly.
things can be bent pretty slightly or damaged just enough to be an issue. I am shocked the strusts broke but they are doing what they need to do. Normally likes break in a lateral blow unless link snaps and the wheel folds under the car ripping the strut out.

A while back a forum member ran his E55 off the road right by my house. I came around a corner and said I know that car! Well he only had some minor damage to the suspension and he went face first into a curb at likely 30 mph and the curb was about 8 inches high. He claimed he did not damage the suspension but I found that hard to believe.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.

That is pretty normal for a repair of that nature. The estimate that was given to the your insurance company was exactly that, "an estimate". Things can pop up on a repair like that, the best thing you can do is just patiently wait, I've been in your situation before and I know waiting sucks. But it's better to get everything done right in one shot. Also my advice to you is to ask for the wheel alignment print-out, and If you do not understand it ask that it be explained to you or post it here... Just hold on a lil more man!!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:03 PM

E55
Thought I was going to get it back today per the collision shop but it looks like upon trying to align it again, they are having subframe issues and it's not lining up. He said nothing looks bent but they are having to loosen up all 4 corners and try to get it straight. Really hope the subframe isn't bent... Anyone have any experience with a subframe issue like this?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 PM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
Thought I was going to get it back today per the collision shop but it looks like upon trying to align it again, they are having subframe issues and it's not lining up. He said nothing looks bent but they are having to loosen up all 4 corners and try to get it straight. Really hope the subframe isn't bent... Anyone have any experience with a subframe issue like this?
not with the e55 but with other cars.... 4 wheel alignment print-out is key when subframe is damaged
Old 08-07-2009, 08:52 PM

E55
And the saga continues...

The first time I went to pick it up, They put a 245/40-18 on the left rear wheel. They put a new 265 rear tire and in the process scratched the rim in 4 different places. I insisted on still picking up the car because I wanted it for the weekend and he said he would send someone out to my location to repair the rim that next week. Upon getting it home, I discovered there was a clip missing off the front mesh grill, they broke off one of the pieces of trim that you use to lift up the center console and my trunk cover was missing. I then just decide I'd drop the car off again next wednesday so that I could just get everything done at once. I got it back that friday and everything was good, or so I thought. A week later (today) I hand washed the car and discovered that the left rear rim (that they just painted) doesn't match the other 3 rims. It's missing clear coat in spots and has paint runs on it. It looks like complete ***.

Should I be demanding a new rim at this point or should I just allow them to try and paint it again? I'm really not a super-picky person but it looks terrible.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
i'd ask them politely to replace at this point, since they have had a few chances to rectify the poor quality workmanship done so far on your car. Waste of your time to keep on bringing it back to the shop after finding things wrong. Makes me wonder sometimes how people are in this line of business and not inspecting their work.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Sounds like it may not be anything too major.
No license plate # unfortunately. It happened so quickly that I could hardly get a good luck at the truck itself.
Sorry to hear and see that but agree, looks like control arms.

Being that is is Texas and can legally carry a gun; did you at least get a few rounds off in him for the attempt on your LIFE? j/k

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Consumer is the king. Demand what you want. I also had the same issue. Had to make about 8 trips to the shop to get everything correct.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 PM

2007 E63
Wow, sorry to hear you are continuing to have problems. Thought your radio was the last item! Maybe time to upgrade to 19" rims G'luck.