Sponsored by:

Visited AMG in Affalterbach last Wednesday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS 55
Visited AMG in Affalterbach last Wednesday

Wanting to get the "facts" about E55 deliveries, availabilities, etc., I visited the AMG facility in Affalterbach on February 19th and spent several hours there getting the "grand tour". Here are some of my observations:

1. While AMG now is making engine modifications to more models, its role is now more tightly defined in the Daimler-Benz universe. AMG's business is (i) to design and assemble high performance gasoline and deisel engines and (ii) to perform custom modifications on Mercedes vehicles. Examples of the latter I saw included an all matt black-finished SL55 for a well-known Sultan and an S55 with an actual working office in the rear seat (including a 17" LCD panel that rose out of the back of the front passenger seat).

2. Unlike prior models, the new E55's are being assembled on the line at Sindelfingen-- just like the E500's and E320's. This has enabled Mercedes-Benz to keep the price down on the W211 version.

3. There is no availability date for the new Comand II system. Unfortunately, this is a much more ambitious system than just one that provides navigation, and bugs keep popping up in the ones still being tested in Germany.

4. Many of the "gripes" posted on this board regarding availability, colors, options, etc. are decisions made at MB-USA, not by AMG product marketing. For example, there are a rainbow of Designo versions available in Europe (I saw one in a varicolor paint of grey-to-yellow with yellow leather/grey pinstriping and elm wood that was spectacular). At present, it is unlikely any Designo offerings for the E55 will be available until this coming fall, and they will not include a wood/leather steering wheel due to the shift buttons.

5. A new engine was developed that will be shown in a CL65 next week at the Geneva Auto Show. Based on the V-12 of the Maybach and twin-turboed, it produces horsepower in the mid-600s and approximately 1,000 foot-pounds of torque. The engine as originally developed was even more powerful, but it blew up the transmission and so had to be detuned! Unfortunately, it is a bit too large to fit in the W211 engine cavity.

6. If an individual would like to test drive a new E55, that can be arranged. They need about two to three weeks advanced notice, but they like to be accomodating. I found out about this test drive opportunity while I was there, and the AMG people tried to find one for me, but they were all booked that day.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:35 AM

Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R 230) and CLK 55 (W 209)
Re: Visited AMG in Affalterbach last Wednesday

Originally posted by jmeyers
2. Unlike prior models, the new E55's are being assembled on the line at Sindelfingen-- just like the E500's and E320's. This has enabled Mercedes-Benz to keep the price down on the W211 version.
It's not just the W211 - all AMG models since somewhen in 2000 are built at the Mercedes-Benz assembly lines - even the production of the old E 55 (W/S 210) was moved from Affalterbach to the Mercedes-Benz plant in Sindelfingen in 2000.

AMG is just manufacturing the engines - that's it.

Even AMG Specials are not being completely manufactured in Affalterbach, but built as standard models and then shipped for improvement to Affalterbach. I.e. if you want a C 32 Sports Coupé, you have to buy a standard C 180 Sports Coupé and bring it to Affalterbach where AMG implants a new engine, brakes, suspension, body kit, interior,...

Ronald
Old 02-22-2003, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the details, Jonathan and Ronald.
I wish I had known last year about the opportunity to test drive an E55.
Good excuse to use up some dust-collecting airline miles.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Re: Visited AMG in Affalterbach last Wednesday

Originally posted by jmeyers
Now that the E55 is being built at Sindelfingen it may be available for the European Delivery Program (EDP) in the future - just like the C32 is now. Previously the E55 was not available for EDP because the car was finished at Affalterbach.

Hey jmeyers, where are the pictures from your tour? On your last tour you had plenty pictures, I believe.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 02-24-2003 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:40 PM

c32
trip to germany

I stated that back in October I saw a fleet of new e55 ready for shipping. My understanding is that after majority of completion the car is sent down the road for completion then returned for delivery. By the way (no Photos). Did you buy anything,
RONALD
Old 02-26-2003, 06:08 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write up! Any pics?
Old 02-27-2003, 07:50 AM

Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R 230) and CLK 55 (W 209)
Re: trip to germany

Originally posted by my401
I stated that back in October I saw a fleet of new e55 ready for shipping. My understanding is that after majority of completion the car is sent down the road for completion then returned for delivery.
It's possible that some E55s were sent to AMG for modifications like Vmax derestriction. Afterwards the car can be picked up directly at AMG or it gets shipped back to the plant. However, this is only possible if you order your car in Germany.

Did you buy anything, RONALD
Not really. I only got a software upgrade for my engine, but that's it. My special leather trim and individual trim parts were already done by designo directly at the plant in Bremen. The AMG Manufaktur accessories like the safety car steering wheel, Illuminated door sills and individual floor mats were already installed by my Mercedes-Benz dealer. So, until the next line of modifications become available, there isn't much to buy for me at AMG.

Ronald