Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zod
Based on what?
Actual AMG 55k data, or your experience with other cars?
If it is the later then u can not make statements like that

I say this because several larger pulley cars have been passed by stock cars and smaller pulley cars

Some where heat related, some where tuning related.

Go search some of the HE threads. think there was one by code 3 where they showed the ASP pulley (175) I believe at the time and how much more heat it created (spiking in temps)

Just so you know where you stand, u need to data log. Apparently over 140f is when the car starts to pull timing
A cooling system with more volume that operates at a lower starting temperature. Will always be more efficient and remove heat better and more efficiently than a smaller one that operates at a higher temperature.The remote system simply has more cooling volume period. Again the system is not going to heat soak off boost during normal driving. This is the question that is being debated.

A larger pulley is going to spin the blower quicker and move more air. If the cooling system and tuning are up to par and the blower is not outside of its efficiency range. A larger pulley will make more power every time. Again the laws of physics don't change because you drive a Benz. This is a great discussion lets keep the information flowing.

Last edited by Full Throttle; 08-28-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
I love these kinds of discussions. This is what this forum is all about! Good job guys. It sounds to me that if you really want a 55k to run perfect at all times if to have aftermarket cooling, stock pulley and a good tune. That way you are not shutting off your s/c all the time because of the excess heat created by the larger pulley. The trunk mounted cooling is very cool, but it also has its cons, like losing your spare tire, and having to use ice or dry ice. Im sure it does stay cooler than under the hood, but when I'm in mexico at a stop light I don't want to get blown away by a pick up truck because my car is too hot. But if our cars get so hot than whats up with the 190mm!? Does this mean you can only run your car once a week and wait for it to cool down?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55Bullet
I love these kinds of discussions. This is what this forum is all about! Good job guys. It sounds to me that if you really want a 55k to run perfect at all times if to have aftermarket cooling, stock pulley and a good tune. That way you are not shutting off your s/c all the time because of the excess heat created by the larger pulley. The trunk mounted cooling is very cool, but it also has its cons, like losing your spare tire, and having to use ice or dry ice. Im sure it does stay cooler than under the hood, but when I'm in mexico at a stop light I don't want to get blown away by a pick up truck because my car is too hot. But if our cars get so hot than whats up with the 190mm!? Does this mean you can only run your car once a week and wait for it to cool down?
E55Bullet

You will not heat soak the H/E sitting at a traffic light, during normal driving or because the car has been sitting in the sun all day. Your heat exchange is constantly cooling the liquid as the car is being driven. The simple fact that the coolant tank is located in a ambient or close to ambient location does an incredible job as making the H/E work less hard at cooling the system down. Do you understand how supercharging works? Do you realize that during normal driving you're creating very little boost? Maybe if you guys put boost gauges in your cars you would see that during normal driving you create very little positive manifold pressure.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL what's your definition of "normal" driving? I do not think I drive this car any where near normal. 9mpg is not "normal" in my book.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do understand what you are saying, but I want to be able to make maximum power as much as possible.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
LOL what's your definition of "normal" driving? I do not think I drive this car any where near normal. 9mpg is not "normal" in my book.

Ok because i drive my car like an old man, ii see 27mpg all the time.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
I do understand what you are saying, but I want to be able to make maximum power as much as possible.
I believe trunk mounted system with a good H/E will give you what you desire with a large pulley i will let you know shortly.

Last edited by Full Throttle; 08-28-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

haha that's what I wanted to hear! My appointment is Tuesday so I'm trying to decide by then weather or not to go with a 172 or 180. Sounds like the best, and the most money, is to go with the 180 and the rear mount cooling.