W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flushing Transmission Fluid / E63 / How Important ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Flushing Transmission Fluid / E63 / How Important ?

As title states -
Car is just a shade under 50k miles....
My independent mechanic that I trust states that the transmission fluid should be flushed on my ((7spd transmission car)), because a computer actually lies in the transmission fluid of the 7spds. When the tranny fluid gets dirty, and metal shavings fly onto/sit around this computer - obviously it is not good.

Any truth behind this ? Should I have it flushed ?

He says a similar thing about the G-Wagon trannys needing flushed because of the transfer case (which always breaks) & this part of the car not being very reliable....

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
The flush/fill of the 722.9 requires special equipment and knowledge.

I don't see much truth in the metal shavings being on/around the EGS.. I'm more than sure the guys at MB thought about it and the computer is SEALED.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
Not sure about the computer (sounds odd to me) but many other transmission parts require fresh clean fluid to operate correctly (or at all). Transmission fluid in MB's is now listed as a "lifetime" fill which is complete BS - it only means that the lifetime of the transmission will be far shorter without regular fluid changes.

ALL fluids in your vehicle should be changed regularly including the brake fluid, transmission, rear end/differential, engine coolant, power steering and (of course) engine oil. Flushing the transmission is normal preventive maintenance and 50,000 miles is a good interval.

On Getmercedesparts.com, the E63 AMG transmission is listed for $5,390, or $6,740 retail (some assembly required!).
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
There is no provision for "flushing" this transmission. Unfortunately. I have spoken directly to MBUSA experts on this topic during the SL65BS release last Nov. They honestly do not believe it is necessary. I will probably change my transmission oil every 40K even though the manual says only once at 40k.

They drain the fluid (may need to break a plastic insert to do this), remove the pan, replace the plastic piece (which sets the oil level), reassemble, inject oil into the pan through the drain at a specific temperature.

If you have an old style pan, a new version should be installed. The new pan is 3mm deeper and the overflow tube is 13.5mm taller.

MB dealers have a special fill station just for this transmission.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think I will have this done, as preventative maintenance.
He recommends every 40k miles or so....

Thx Guys
Old 10-24-2009, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My independent mechanic strongly advised AGAINST either draining & re-filling tranny fluid OR doing a complete flush, cleaning out all lines, etc.

He said ideally you want to check the fluid first, if it is not burnt you should not change. Of course that is hard without a dipstick on this car.

Reason being, because if you drain the fluid and it's currently good (even at 50k miles), it will take some lubrication away from the cluth plates, etc -- and he has seen a few instances when the transmission will then start to slip shortly after the drain/flush....
(Not sure whether MB dealers do a drain or flush)

Basically, if it's not broke, don't fix it....