How to replace the "Raised" Button light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
How to replace the "Raised" Button light

I want to replace the light indicating that the vehicle is raised on the button located at the lower left of the transmission lever.

In bright sunlight the red is washed out. So I want to put in a bright blue LED. I honestly don't care if it is blinding at night since it is only on temporarily.

Any one know the proper way to remove that panel? With all the trim swaps I am assuming someone has that info.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Open the ash tray and the shifter panel pops out. It is press fit no screws. The switches also pop out.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, I will post my results in the future.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Like Shardul said. Open the ashtray and cupholder. It pops upward. To remove the shifter trim, there are little clips around the leather boot. Pop them out and off the whole thing goes. Then you can easily unscrew the button cluster for the airmatic and do what you want
Old 09-15-2009, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
I want to replace the light indicating that the vehicle is raised on the button located at the lower left of the transmission lever.

In bright sunlight the red is washed out. So I want to put in a bright blue LED. I honestly don't care if it is blinding at night since it is only on temporarily.

Any one know the proper way to remove that panel? With all the trim swaps I am assuming someone has that info.

Thanks
Careful of how strong of an LED you use.... a bright LED at night, although not neccessarily blinding, may become annoying on long drives.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Some DIY Pictures

So, I wanted to change the Vehicle Raised Red "ON" indicator light to comething brighter. Well, I am not ready for surgery at this level. This is sort of a re-assembly procedure of the console around the shift lever.

First, the the button off, you can see two LEDs at the bottom mounted on a PC board. The lower right one is the red one. The 3 round things at the corners are what push down on the circuit board button.

Here is the button as I am getting ready to put it back on. It is divided up to guide the LED light where it is wanted.

Pushing it back on is easy, but notice the clips. This was tricky finding something to carefully pry them up.

Here is where is mounts under the trim piece. The 4 torx screws are removed.

Remember to connect the 2 wiring harnesses.

The two tabs at the bottom of the trim piece align up with these 2 slots. This is looking from the dash back to the rear of the car.

To get the front re-attached to the retaining clips, you have to push these back a bit from the gear selector opening. It will not just push down.

Here is is re-seated, pointing to that sam clip.

I should have done this last. Push the shift knob all the way down the shaft (it sort of clicks into place and turn the retaining ring about a quarter turn to lock. Then push the boot down and clip into place. You can see the clips on the plastic at the top. There are 2 on each side.

Done.

Thanks to all who got me started.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Nice post!! You would have started a trend with a brighter blue light.

BTW, I like the maple shift surround vs the silver one the E55 has...