Sponsored by:

Pano Roof Fix - No more Squeaks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Pano Roof Fix - No more Squeaks

I recently had the entire interior out of my car sound-proofing everything and thought I'd post this as I know the Pano roof is notorious for making noise, especially when driving over uneven pavement. Whenever I pulled out of my driveway I could hear pop-pop-pop-pop literally on all four corners of the roof. With the sunshade open put your fingers on the silver frame that holds the sunroof and you can feel (and hear) it move = pop. Apparently the lack of structural rigidity in the cars with the Pano roof makes the whole car flex and the sunroof frame has no choice but to move with the car.

With the headliner removed you will see the sunroof frame, which also guides the front and rear fabric shades - spans the entire roof front to back. It is bolted directly to the roof (metal to metal) thus the popping sound on 4 corners.

I removed the sunroof and frame from the car (not ganna lie this is not a small job) and coated the areas of both the frame and roof where they make contact with Plasti-Dip - brushes on like paint and dries into a permanent soft flexible rubber coating. I reinstalled the frame and sunroof and did some testing.. I pulled in and out of my driveway about 30 times and hear nothing from the roof.

I have also used the Plasti Dip to to treat all four door panels, the center armrest console, driver and passenger seats, A B and C pillars, headliner, door glass frames and housing for the front and rear interior lighting. My car has gone from the noisiest squeaking and rattling car I've ever owned to *almost* the quietest for about $100 of this stuff. The only noise left at this point is in the dash and a creak from the left front suspension.

Hope this helps, sorry if this is redundant.. didn't find any solutions via search.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E63 Performance Package
Did you do this while drinking that Corona?
Old 09-19-2009, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by milepostnate
+1, that was a first thing I saw on that picture. an empty bottle of Corona

Nice to know that plasti dip worked for you!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by milepostnate
lol, I've been working on this for about a month. I think the Corona in the pic was end of the first case. Good to know you both easily recognize a Corona bottle from the back.

Last edited by RACE_MX; 09-19-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Thanks for the info, my pano makes some creaks as well. I thought I read that part of the pano structure runs down the pillar between the front and rear door, can you confirm this? How difficult was it to remove and install the roof liner without damaging it?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Agree - excellent info, and I too would be interested in the tricks and tips of removing the headliner.