Sponsored by:

E63 vs E550 4Matic in NNJ/NYC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by PSFAN
Let's forget the $ and image issues and move on. For real world driving is the E63 really worth the huge sacrifice of noise and road harshness due to the tires required to put down 500 HP ? I questioned the dealer about replacing the tires on an E63 with more civilized daily driver tires. I was informed that the result would be a vehicle that basically performs no better than an E550. Beast tires are needed for the beast engine. The only time I really want the full power is at a light that is followed in short order by a merge. A 0-60 mph car at 4 seconds is absolutely better than a 5 second car......but 5 seconds will do in almost all cases. My ZR1 is frighteningly quick off the line....but I don't do drag races at lights with that car. With the purchase of a new E series I will be doing WOT's at the lights. Is there anyone out there that agrees with me about the E63 tire sacrifices for the everyday driver ?
If you go the 63 route be ready to buy stock in Firestone if you have a heavy foot . My car had 27k on the clock and i am into my 4th set of tires . If you have a 2nd car for winter driving then get the 63 . I also bought the tire and rim insurance since im in the 5 boros daily and i have already gotten 2 new stock rims and tires. The 63 is a tame 500hp and it is fine for every day use .

If your in Queens try Helms brothers , Speak to Mike Nikava , Mad cool .
Old 11-27-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lincoln LS, ZR1
Dealer basically indicates that without the OEM tires the E63 won't offer substantially better off the line acceleration than the E550. They have tried this on several W211 E63's due to other customer requests.

Off the line acceleration (WOT at traffic light) is probably different and more important in NJ than it is in CA. This is associated with two lanes merging to one within 100 or less yards after the light.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by PSFAN
Dealer basically indicates that without the OEM tires the E63 won't offer substantially better off the line acceleration than the E550. They have tried this on several W211 E63's due to other customer requests.

Off the line acceleration (WOT at traffic light) is probably different and more important in NJ than it is in CA. This is associated with two lanes merging to one within 100 or less yards after the light.
off the line acceleration from e63 to 550 4matic is a night and day difference and cannot be compared . Dealer will tell you what they gotta to sell the car . either way good luck .
Old 11-27-2009, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
off the line acceleration from e63 to 550 4matic is a night and day difference and cannot be compared . Dealer will tell you what they gotta to sell the car . either way good luck .
+1

So, the dealer says without the OEM tires the car won't run. LOL
WTF? So if I run PS2s or Toyos, the car runs like a E550. Maybe with Vreds or Nittos, it'll run like an E350.

fwiw, WOT and traction from a stop is the same issue if you're in LA, NJ, or Singapore.

Sorry, but I still haven't a clue what you're really getting at here. Or at least what the dealer's trying tell you....

Too much noise and harshness with OEM tires but yet no traction without them, etc. ? I'm confused.

Anyway, good luck.