W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Great Beginings with Mbenz and AMG... I guess this is a welcome to the family deal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prius plug in
My Great Beginings with Mbenz and AMG... POS BROKE !

So on my way to an afternoon appt today I stop by MBenz Pleasanton, to get a print out of my e55 that I purchased last week, car comes back clean and all that, I ask about extended warrenty and last but not least I noticed that I needed to add a quart of oil to car per dashboard, so service guy says no sweat, ill take care of it.. pulls car around back.

2 min late, he walks up and says hey bernard we have issues....

apparently, the belt that holds tension on the belt that is connected to the s/c pulley came off of the motor ? so my pulley was not generating boost? I have not been smashing around on the car, just casual daily driving as usual.

No one can tell me how nor why this has happened, can anyone tell me if they have had this issue ? to fix the issue I had to purchase an extended warrentie via the dealer and hopefully I can get them to cover it.

Last edited by C_Thru; 10-21-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 PM

A Prius because I'm green
That sucks!!!! I'd ***** for MB of Pleasanton to cover the cost or some of it if it's not warrantied. Sounds odd but I have heard of other dealerships in the bay area missing issues on vehicles, even CPO vehicles!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 PM

Prius plug in
Mike, I am supposed to call the warrenty company tommorow morning, and follow up with them to ensure they will cover the car, if not i get a full refund from the dealership.

I also spoke to my brother who works for East Bay BMW and he told me that if they BS me, to speak to the service manager and go no holes barred on them.

They were trying to do the right thing, and top my oil off, but look when they got themselves into now ?

The car felt fine ? I didnt notice any noise you would think if the pulley was off it would be pinging making some kind of noise, I commute from Dublin to Alameda everyday ? honestly im supprised that it is even there still ?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Welcome aboard! When I had my tensioner pulley replaced by an MB dealer, my aftermarket warranty did not cover it but mine is not a Chrysler or Benz warranty. That was ok with me, but the thing that was not OK was that the tech at MB said it would get rid of a whining sound from my blower. It did not resolve anything. I think alot of warranties might not cover tensioner pulleys because they are prone to accelerated wear and tear. This is my fourth supercharged car and three of them have needed a tensioner pulley replacement, one car at 70000 miles, another at 98000 miles, and the E55 at 57,000.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 PM

Prius plug in
yeah, but mine just fell off with no reason, belt was fine ? pulley was fine ? there really was no explanation ?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
I misread your post. So you just had a belt come off and its probably laying around on some road somewhere. I've had my fair share of belts slipping off superchargers, and the causes were a misaligned custom pulley that wore out a belt, a seized tensioner pulley, and a belt that was too old. One other time a performance shop did not tighten a new belt enough and it slipped off the supercharger snout about a mile away from the shop. Hopefully you just had a bad belt and your pulleys are ok.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 PM

Prius plug in
Naw bro, the pulley on the left side (looking down @ top of motor) pulley just came off and belt along with it, supposedly it was sitting in the bottom of my bumper ? which i dont understand ? if it was broken while i was driving, it would have came out ?

I dont get it... honestly..
Old 10-20-2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by C_Thru
Naw bro, the pulley on the left side (looking down @ top of motor) pulley just came off and belt along with it, supposedly it was sitting in the bottom of my bumper ? which i dont understand ? if it was broken while i was driving, it would have came out ?

I dont get it... honestly..
Sorry misread the post. It does seem odd that it just fell off. I question wouldn't there be a good chance of damage being caused if any pulley came off while the engine was running? Is the belt and pulley just laying there with no visual damage to anything to include the pulley and belt? I'd question the car being sold a quart low, sounds like the car wasn't fully inspected or maybe it wasn't finished and ready for sale? You never know maybe they took the pulley off and left it there?

Last edited by Mikesamg; 10-21-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:04 PM

Prius plug in
the verdict is in... supercharger tensioner is bad ? anyone have part # ?

Last edited by C_Thru; 10-21-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
Here is what I have on my work order:

113-200-01-70 Tightener Pulley (s/c) $336.96
113-997-01-92 V-Belt $31.75
113-997-02-92 V-Belt $82.55
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Sorry to hear about your experience, and you're right.... the pulley just coming off like that does sound very strange. Do you think they did this on purpose during service to try and squeeze some more money out of you or maybe the warranty company?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:02 AM

Prius plug in
Is weird, I don't think they really had time to do anything honestly. I didn't have a warrenty, and they were adding a quart, belt looked good ? So did pulley ? I was concerned with the other pulley coming off ??

The only way I can make since of this whole thing is if, the bearing inside the pulley froze up and the blower kept trying to spin ot, kablow it just broke the pulley off ??

But car ran fine no codes no nothing ??

This is the part # that mbenz walnut creek gave to me
1130900014 tensioner

1300 + ??

I like your #'s better..
Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
I think our engines have at least 2 tensioner pulleys so check those part numbers with another dealership. Try SF or Oakland MB dealerships. If the bearings wore out the pulley would most likely seized, so the belt would have rubbed until it melted apart or ripped off and you would not have a nice belt left. You also would not have a good pulley left because the belt would have left behind scratches, gashes, and melted rubber residue. Those things don't just fall off gently, so it is rather suspicious.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 PM

Prius plug in
Finally some Good News.... My extended Warrenty is going to cover the claim, however the bad news is I am going to cancel the warrenty after I get my car back, because they dont cover the supercharger, even tho it says it on my contract, however when you read the contract, it covers turbo chargers and not S/C
Old 10-23-2009, 07:24 PM

So since it's covered are the parts on hand already? Shouldn't be a long install so you could get it back this weekend right or what's the work on that?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:02 AM

Prius plug in
My Extended Warrenty covered it.. car is back up and running..
Old 10-27-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by C_Thru
My Extended Warrenty covered it.. car is back up and running..
No you can play in some reindeer games with Alan and I. I been wondering how I am compared to stock, just let me know before you start getting the mod bug so I don't miss out on comparing! Glad to hear she's back up and running