Sponsored by:

I'm feeling pretty bad about some wheels I bought here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I think mugatu is right about the scuffs and two marks. I am still not believing that a 2006 would have 4 replica wheels. I can see one but 4 is unimaginable unless the previous owner had after market wheels on and then bought these to turn in the lease. If that is the case, Bill can send the wheels back like he said he would, and once I recieve the wheels and make sure they are the same ones that I sent out, and that they are in deed non-MB wheels I will refund his $800 and use them as winter wheels I guess since they would be pretty worthless to anyone else.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Sounds like the seller might have not known what he was actually selling. They came off an E55, he assumed they were OEM.

Sounds like the buyer might not known what he was actually buying. They came off an E55, he assumed they were OEM.

Both buyers and sellers of stuff here have to take a little more effort and time in working a deal. Cover all your bases as a seller and as a buyer. Never assume anything from either a buyer or a seller. Take pics and document.

It's not at all about mistrust of anybody here, it's just about keeping misunderstandings and honest mistakes to a minimum.

In the end, the seller is gonna make it all good.

Lessons learned.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by emoving
I think mugatu is right about the scuffs and two marks. I am still not believing that a 2006 would have 4 replica wheels. I can see one but 4 is unimaginable unless the previous owner had after market wheels on and then bought these to turn in the lease. If that is the case, Bill can send the wheels back like he said he would, and once I recieve the wheels and make sure they are the same ones that I sent out, and that they are in deed non-MB wheels I will refund his $800 and use them as winter wheels I guess since they would be pretty worthless to anyone else.
Make it the $940 that I paid you and you've got a deal.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will do the $800. I wish you had asked me to take a pic. of the backs of the wheels or to at least look at them. I had and still have no idea but I will do the $800 if you want to send them back.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takes the bus.
Ultimately, its the sellers fault.

The buyer shouldn't have to pay shipping both ways.
Hell, he shouldn't have to pay both ways.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
As I thought, once the seller realized the issue, the ball would start moving on this. But, I'm not sure who's side I'm on in regards to the shipping. The seller is obviously trying to do the right thing here, but the buyer really shouldn't be out any cash. I don't think emoving was trying to defraud anyone. I think u guys should split the shipping and chalk it up to an honest mistake by the seller and a learning experience for the buyer.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Agree that asking the buyer to pay shipping both ways isn't likely an amenable situation for both parties. While both have some culpability in this transaction, I agree with Crescendo that the lion's share of the blame falls on the seller's shoulders. Any seller has an obligation to know exactly what they're selling and market it appropriately. If a mistake is made by the seller, "best practices" would be to unwind the deal so that the worst harm done to the purchaser is simply the inconvenience/hassle of the ordeal. Naturally, JMHO.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
As I thought, once the seller realized the issue, the ball would start moving on this. But, I'm not sure who's side I'm on in regards to the shipping. The seller is obviously trying to do the right thing here, but the buyer really shouldn't be out any cash. I don't think emoving was trying to defraud anyone. I think u guys should split the shipping and chalk it up to an honest mistake by the seller and a learning experience for the buyer.
Of note, the buyer allegedly already offered this, only to be stonewalled by the seller - prompting this thread's very existence.

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 11-15-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added "allegedly"
Old 11-15-2009, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys this was a private sale. If I was a wheel retailer that really knew wheels then I would agree. The wheels were not listed in the ad as OEM or factory and had the buyer did some more homework he may have not bought them. They are still metal wheels that are painted silver and roll like any other wheel. I in no way attempted to defraud anyone or to mislead. If this was so important that the wheel had a MB stamp as opposed to whatever stamp is on the back then the buyer in a private sale sould have done a little more due dilligance in researching the purchase. I listed what I knew as a private seller, they came off a 2006 E55, the mileage on the car, and the notable damage on the wheels. There were no questions asked other then was the seller willing to ship. I at this point will refund the wheel price and I don not really care how they are returned to me. This is like asking Walmart for gas money for driving to the store. I made no direct implication in the original ad as to the origin of where the wheels were made because I had and have no idea. These were going to be used as winter wheels by the OP so my only other option would be a partial refund and he can keep them and save from wasting any more shipping expenses and time in this matter.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Of note, the buyer already offered this, only to be stonewalled by the seller - prompting this thread's very existence.
No, if you must know, my Uncle Joe Hartman from Cleveland passed unexpectedly on Tue. and I had to go to Cleveland to be with my family which is why I did not respond until today. I didnt think it was right to tell my mother (his sister) hold on mom I gotta get on the computer to get on some forum. Thanks for your understanding jackass and do some research and you can find the obituary.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 PM

soon to be e55
No, if you must know, my Uncle Joe Hartman from Cleveland passed unexpectedly on Tue. and I had to go to Cleveland to be with my family which is why I did not respond until today. I didnt think it was right to tell my mother (his sister) hold on mom I gotta get on the computer to get on some forum. Thanks for your understanding jackass and do some research and you can find the obituary.
Sorry about your Uncle, but your best best is still to refund the seller the full amount or at least split the shipping costs and call it a day.

Last edited by kyuss94; 11-15-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Why wouldn't you post pictures of the back of the wheels? when I sold my wheels I took high res pictures of all angles and the backs of the wheels just to make sure I covered all angles and protected myself from anything like this. I don't know anything about rims either and this is another reason why I did this. I wouldn't want replica rims either I can see why he would be upset and for that price for used/scratched wheels you would be expecting to get OEM. Hopefully he will be willing to just take a partial refund to make it easier on you both. Good luck to both of you
Old 11-15-2009, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Just a suggestion in trying to be equitable here, but if the seller refunds the full amount including the shipping, and the buyer has to return the wheels on his own nickel, then both are out the one-way shipping costs and both has learned an equally valuable lesson.

Whatever. Anyway, hope it works out in the end.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm sorry for your loss. Not sure what bearing it has on this thread, but all the same, my condolences.

I feel my prior post was on-topic, but to be fair I should've said "allegedly" as it's only from his account in post #1 (i.e. I have no firsthand knowledge, obviously):

Originally Posted by Objectionable
Maybe I'm out of line, but I don't feel good about buying these replica wheels:

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...-spotless.html

I believed I was buying (for $940.00 including shipping) Merceds Benz wheels based on the pictures, description, price and history given.

I got the paypal invoice and it said:

Note from merchant
W211 Mercedes E55 18" factory wheels in great shape. This paypal will cover the cost of shipping to the buyers residence.

At this point when somebody calls wheels "factory" I think they are genuine Mercedes Benz wheels.

The wheels were in the condition described (they actually look pretty nice), but when I looked at the back of them I found out they are replicas.

I contacted the seller and asked for a refund because the wheels are replicas and not "factory" wheels, offering as a good will gesture to ship them back to him at my expense.

The seller refuses to unwind the transaction and give a refund.

If I'm wrong to be upset, please let me know.
Bolded section above, my emphasis.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Listen guys, I made my two offers. I am not going to waste any more of my life dealing with this. Yes, he made the offer and gave me a deadline and I did not answer due to what I stated above. He then started a PayPal claim and it was resolved without me even responding because I could not for the reasons stated above. Paypal deferred and said it is not their position to take side on this type of transaction. Then he statred this thread to wich I could not respond to until today because again to the reasons stated above. This has been 30 minutes of my life I will never get back. In the end a wheel is a wheel, it is metal, it rolls and in this case it is painted silver. I have talked to a friend that is an attorney and said since it is a private sale and I made no claims in the posted ad that they were OEM or MB original then there is no claim. He says I took a picture of the amg LOGO, but those were put there by the wheel manufacturer not me, it is not like I took a sticker and tried to fool someone. He says I took a picture of a MB in the background when in reality the only thing you see of a vehicle is the lower bumper with no manufactures insignia. I however am trying to do the right thing but I am not loosing money on 4 wheels that are in perfect working order due to the fact the OP made an assumption on his own without asking any questions that the wheels were made in a factory in Germany as opposed to being made in a factory in as he says Italy. If it were me I would take the partial refund and keep the wheels as no one would ever know unless they apparently read some fine print on the back of the wheels. But in reality it is a wheel not a Ferrari you bought that turned out to be a fiero.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:05 PM

2004 E55
^there are so many things wrong with the above i don't know where to start. in the end, you don't have to do squat, and you know that. sucks for the op, but its a lesson for the rest of us.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:08 PM

2005 E55 / 2001 e39 M5
Now the problem with shipping wheels is the cost. figure $150 as a ballpark, which is almost 20% of the sales price. If the buyer ships the wheels back, now the total cost is going in the wrong direction. Seems like its a set of clean, straight replica wheels...what about a partial refund for the actual value? If they are only worth $400 there isn't a whole lot of sense in spending $300 shipping them across the U.S....

Sucks.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:12 PM

2004 E55
not sure about the op, but you couldn't pay me to roll on replicas.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Lets stop with the deatils on he said she said. OP, send the wheels back, bro and get your money. I agree that seller should pay for one round of shipping and buyer pay for the return. Let it go. They are knock-offs and they are worth under $500 BRAND new. No need to rehash ads or emails. Let it roll. Personally, I would refund via pay pal as a sign of good faith PLUS the fees are refunded.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM

Takes the bus.
I say a 500 dollar refund would be fair.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
emoving needs to pay return shipping as an honest mistake. A mistake is a mistake no matter how you look at it. When emoving sold the wheels, he believed these were OEM and therefore carried more value. The original ad implies that the wheels are OEM. Being MB World and with how educated and honest the people are on here, I would have seen these as OEM and would not have originally questioned the seller.

Despite what emoving feels, a wheel is not just a piece of metal that rolls. Do the right thing and cover return shipping and chalk it up as an honest mistake. The buyer will still be out $150 and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Offer the wheels up for sale to recover the $150 and still walk away with some extra cash.

Remind me never to buy anything from this seller.

Last edited by Esh; 11-15-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:12 PM

///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
Originally Posted by jangy
Lets stop with the deatils on he said she said. OP, send the wheels back, bro and get your money. I agree that seller should pay for one round of shipping and buyer pay for the return. Let it go. They are knock-offs and they are worth under $500 BRAND new. No need to rehash ads or emails. Let it roll. Personally, I would refund via pay pal as a sign of good faith PLUS the fees are refunded.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
hmm. drama queen in its best. Why did you start this thread for a private sale? Are we going to start a thread on each buy-sale transaction that doesn't work for the buyer. I don't see anywhere in the AD that it says "factory OEM" in sales thread by emoving. In invoice you can put whatever you want, the ad was for 18 inches Mercedes wheels and person received it. On other hand I can understand that the buyer thought that he is getting OEM stock wheels and no one ever mentioned word "Replica"
Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 PM

mricorp: You never made me and offer so don't jump on the bandwagon
You must be the guy who I did ask if they were OEM and would only respond by not answering that question or giving a price and telling me to make an offer. I would never make an offer based on that so you are correct on that point.

However, it is obvious by this entire thread that you are full of s*#t and you knowingly robbed this guy. Glad it wasn't me................JACKASS!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
Originally Posted by efivefiveamg
^there are so many things wrong with the above i don't know where to start. in the end, you don't have to do squat, and you know that. sucks for the op, but its a lesson for the rest of us.
oh really? share with us. Totally makes sense to me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm feeling pretty bad about some wheels I bought here