2007 E63 Goodyear F1 All-Seasons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S
2007 E63 Goodyear F1 All-Seasons?

Hi,

Anybody running on Goodyear F1 All-Seasons? I am thinking of picking up 4 of them, and reading tire rack general consensus seems to be good tire, but a little loud on noise. Noise doesn't bother me because I usually listen to music loud, but does anyone have any opinions? Can Harmon Kardon overpower tires? Also, how are they performance wise? I am looking for a good all around tire. Treadwear?

Thanks.

-Dave
Old 11-22-2009, 02:46 AM

e63
I have them and like them. They are just little noisy, but I like the grip.I too like loud music and the kids have never mentioned the tire noise . I live in Vancouver, north shore, and with all our rain they have been great. Work great in downpours and summer heat. I think they look aggressive but going up steep hills in slush or wet snow is difficult. 1 year old now and no complaints at all. 2007 E63 as well. Somewhat aggressive driver but 75% of the time commuting to hockey and soccer with kids and car full of sports equipment. It is a daily driver and to me the tires are fine and felt very safe when put on.

I hope this helps
Old 11-22-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Check out the Conti Extreme Contact DWS: great dry grip, incredible wet grip, have no idea about snow but they're all season tires. Super quiet and come with a 50,000 mile warranty.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
I went cheap with the Kumhos. About 2,500 miles so far and like them. Half the price of other choices.

Rides well and quieter than the stock Contis.

That said, if you're anywhere that gets a real winter (i.e. 40 or below), go with REAL snow tires. The all-seasons don't cut it.

I have a set of Blizzaks on separate wheels. They go on each winter.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 AM

2016 AMG GT-S
Hi guys,

I ended up getting Bridgestone Potenza All-Seasons (upon recommendation from tirerack to avoid Goodyear F1s). After 1500mi, I really really like these tires. They handle as good or in some cases better than the stock Contis. The real difference comes through in the rain, allowing me to drive the car, with very little difference in driving style, except around heavy cornering. It is simply amazing how often I used to see the Orange Flashing light on my dashboard, but no longer. The Potenzas are a little noisier, but I say they are a little noisier as in if the radio and air conditioner is off, I can occasionally here the gravel depending on speed. Ride quality is great. They are a good all around tire, and honestly the performance differences are so negligible I am not really sure why you wouldn't want these tires unless you are going to the track for some sort of competition.

Bridgestone Potenza All-Seasons on E63 = 4.5stars

Thanks for all your help, however depending on treadwear I think I found my tire of choice.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:59 PM

08 E63
Goodyear F1's

I got a set of the F1's on my SL55 a year ago and they were beyond awful.

They were mounted and balanced (by the tire dealer who has done my cars for the past 10 years). As soon as I got on the freeway I noticed a slight vibration around 60mph. So back to the shop.

Simple problem: three out of four were out of round, or as the tire dealer described it: "they have a hop". You could see the problem when they were spun on the balancer. The wheels were absolutely true -- the tires were not.

After a lot of time spent trying to solve the problem (rebalancing, remounting, ...) the dealer called Goodyear to resolve the problem. Now get this: Goodyear would only replace the tires two at a time. The process was that the dealer could only two back Goodyear and it would take about two weeks for them to examine the tires and determine whether a credit would be issued. Then he could send the third tire back for the same process. The tires had about 50 test miles on them at this point. So the problem might be resolved in a month. Not very reasonable and not acceptable.

So we get the goodyear rep out to the shop, to see of maybe he could replace all four immediately. After he noshowed on our first sheduled appointment we finally got a face-to-face with him and it was a waste of time. He said the tires would be immediately replaced of they had a "defect", such as a leak. But (and I am not making this up -- this is what he said), being out of round is not a defect that merits immediate replacement in the Goodyear world. The rep saw the tires spin out of true on the balancer and agreed that they were out of round.

The goodyear rep's solution for me: go to the goodyear tire store where they can replace all four right away (they're not subject to the two at a time return rule apparently). Sounds good, right? The catch is that when I called the goodyear store they told me I'd have to pay them for the dismount, mount and balance. That makes sense from the goodyear store's point of view (shortsighted though it may be), but at that point I would have been more likely to eat the tires than PAY goodyear to swap them for another possibly defective set.

At that point, the owner of the tire store that sold me the tires stepped up and exchanged them for a set of michelins. He said he'd deal with goodyear and eat the loss of he had to.

The michelins were perfectly round and perfectly satisfactory.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it will spare at least a few people from having a similar ridiculous experience with goodyear.

The key to building a business it making great products and taking care of your customers. In my experience Goodyear failed in both cases.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:47 AM

e63
I now stand corrected. These tires are very noisy. almost to the point of being uncomfortable. My tires are 1 yr old app. 9,000 km and I think I may replace them
Old 02-14-2010, 02:57 AM

e63
quick update hopefully helpful. Goodyear has a silent recall on the tires. The noise and ride were just terrible. Goodyear knows the issue and is swapping them out. I had 20 k on mine and my tire dealer got me a full replacement and I replaced them with Michelin pilot sports A/S plus. Unreal difference, nice to be back with michelin. We can hear ourselves in the car again. Hope this helps
Old 02-14-2010, 06:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Thanks for the update. We bought a used E320 4Matic recently (winter car) and it came with the F1s. New set. My wife and I were just discussing yesterday that they were so loud and annoying that we might have to replace them anyway. We'll drop in Goodyear and see what they have to say!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
Originally Posted by bce63
quick update hopefully helpful. Goodyear has a silent recall on the tires. The noise and ride were just terrible. Goodyear knows the issue and is swapping them out. I had 20 k on mine and my tire dealer got me a full replacement and I replaced them with Michelin pilot sports A/S plus. Unreal difference, nice to be back with michelin. We can hear ourselves in the car again. Hope this helps
I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires also. Best all-around performing tire IMHO. Allows you to appreciate that you're driving a Benz.

Last edited by IndiumGreyE63; 02-14-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Just my $0.02, avoid Goodyear F1s like the plague.
Loud is an understatement,

Last edited by Yacht Master; 02-14-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:21 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG Cabrio 2007 E63 AMG
Ditto the NON-recommendation on the Goodyear F1's.

I put a set on my car based on the Tirerack's positive reviews.

man those tires sucked. noisy, soft washy sidewalls, even inflating to 40 psi didn't help. and they always seemed to track out of alignment. after 2 dealer alignments (you could see the uneven wear on the fronts), the dealer told me this is a common problem he's seen with these tires, and recommended OEM's. I dealt with them for 3 years and 20k miles.

ended up going with a set of Toyo T1R's last year. man it's like night and day. the car handles and drives so much better.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM

2006 E55 Designo 1991 190E 2.3 2000 BMW 740i 1987 PORSHCE 928S4
I have Goodyear F1 All-Seasons 225x40x18 265x35x18 on my car but not my E55. There great on wet and dry driving. I've driven them on the circuit track and performed very well. There noisy depending on the pavement, there louder on cements and quite on asphalts.