Is it the product or the process?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Is it the product or the process?

Is it the process of modding your car or the product that excites you?

For me it's all about the process, while I love how the product looks, drives, sounds, etc. I'll never be done. I have three cars all of which have parts sitting in my bedroom (wow you figured it out I'm single haha) one of which I haven't driven in over 6 month. I've got a running excel sheet for all of them with a laundry list of future mods for each of them. And because of this, with maybe the exception of a cat-back, I'll never buy a car that isn't stock. I need a clean palette to work with

What about you?

-Sterling
Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
I couldn't agree more on your assessment...even down to the excel spreadsheets...lol.
When I am having a particularly stressful time at work (a lot lately) I grab my laptop and head off to a corner to work on the research for my latest project or update my spreadsheets to make sure I am saving enough money for the really important mods.
A little ocd, sure...but it makes me feel good.

While I do enjoy the benefits of improving the performance and looks of my car, I would have to say it is the overall experience of the process and the results that keeps me modding

The only down side is selling the cars. I am having a bit of a bittersweet time right now tearing down my Speed6...hard to see her go back to stock, piece by piece. She was my first SERIOUS project, and I swore the only way I would sell it was when someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Reality bites
However that is easily corrected with a trip to the basement to see the stockpile of parts ready to go on the E55 when I finally find the right one.
That day cannot come fast enough....
Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
both - but I think I like the product more than the process. Everything I've modded (all motorcycles), it was about tailoring to my needs (both mechanically and aestetically). While I enjoyed the transformation, the end product is what I'm about. With the 55, I am enjoying tweaking it to suit what I want but that being said, if I could have bought it already done - I would have!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
To me, everytime I mod my car it's like getting a new car all over again.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
It's ALL about the process for me, I have only bought 1 vehicle fully modded & to tell the truth it was really cool for the initial wow factor but after realizing there was nothing really left to do to it I was bored.

I love mods, especially thinking/researching/dreaming up new possible unseen never done before mods, it's very addicting...
Old 12-18-2009, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi s6
I just bought my first car that was not stock and that has everything done to it. After a while I am sure that I will be changing parts on her but I seriously got tired of spending stupid money and in a quick period of time selling the car. Some other guy gets my creation and I am left wondering why the he'll did I sell the car ?? Bored- probably; but like stated before a new canvas to paint on but in these hard times it just makes sense to buy one that's at least got some work started...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Personally for me I get really bored... with everything material. For the E55 as far as it being bone stock it's become a little different for me. I almost don't want to start the mod game because it's a drug that I fall all to victim of with every single car I've owned and I end up getting bored with it and sell it off. Ascetically I will treat this vehicle to a high degree, but I think I'm going to leave the mechanical in it's entirety. The car is plenty fast for my right foot and honestly I can't get into too much more trouble than already am.

The process of taking something and making it your own is what life is about. Whatever it is, car, job, family...

But for the OP it is the process. I am not at all a patient person and getting a part and having it sit around is not my cup of tea. I always have it shipped to the office and have been guilty more that once of leaving shortly after I sign it in to install it
Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
I am like a kid in a candy store when i first buy a car. As soon as it is in my hands, i am going wild on the web, searching, hitting buy-it-now buttons on all the minor stuff, and sifting through pics of what guys have already done.

It's about looking at what other people have done, thinking about what i can do differently, and eventually, putting the whole thing together with my own flavour.

The greatest part of it all is the looks you get while driving or parked & the people who can't resist drooling all over it. Every time i get in the beast, i have that AMG smile plastered on my face. I've had it a little over a year & can honestly say that i still search for reasons to get behind the wheel & go for a spin.

It's definitely all about the process. I've never "finished" a car.