Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PERFORMANCE GAIN WITH COOLING SYSTEM IN TRUNK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PERFORMANCE GAIN WITH COOLING SYSTEM IN TRUNK

How much HP/TQ as anyone who installed a rear trunk mount chiller sees?Also how much performance gain have you seen or feel?
I am in the process of installing an ACT SYSTEM and would like to see the performance gain achieved by anyone who has installed any type of REAR CHILLER BOX.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by jamusa
How much HP/TQ as anyone who installed a rear trunk mount chiller sees?Also how much performance gain have you seen or feel?
I am in the process of installing an ACT SYSTEM and would like to see the performance gain achieved by anyone who has installed any type of REAR CHILLER BOX.
On my CL65 I have seen as much as 25-30rwhp with ICE. A 5 gallon trunk reservoir full with ice.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Out of curiosity how did you quantify this gain?
Obviously a dyno was employed, but what type of lag in between did you have.
I am not trying to argue with your statement, just want to have a clearer understanding. My previous experience with forced induction and cooling upgrades is that they do not add hp, per se, but help control heat soak-thus avoiding the car pulling timing and losing power. A power saver, versus a power adder.
Does my experience hold true for the 55K engines, or is the reservoir a true power adder?
Thanks!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
^^ Just helps you preserve timing and keep Boost constant, the power is there it's just a matter of keeping it constant. If you throw a hot piece of Iron in 2 oz of water, it might end up warming up the water and making it hot, as opposed to throwing that same piece of iron in a 5 gallon reservoir it will barely see any temperature increase. It just helps dissipate heat faster and better.

To quantify the gains I did before and after dynos, without Ice and with Ice.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM

I did not think it added any HP/TQ ,just keep the power consistent,by not having any heat soak problem.
I'II let you guys know what it makes when i dyno the car.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
I have a 9 gallon tank in the trunk, and it did wonders for my car. I usually put in a 16lb bag of ice from Acme into it and that lasts me all night

I also have a compartment for dry ice, but I did not find that dry ice worked good to cool down the large volume of water in the tank around. Dry ice also melted very fast and it makes a buzzing sound when it melts in the compartment. It is also a PITA to handle since you need gloves and something to break it up. So yeah - dry ice compartment was a big waste. Iit is more functional to fill the icebox with ice and use that space as a Grey Goose bottle chiller
Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 PM

e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
Originally Posted by prodigymb
I have a 9 gallon tank in the trunk, and it did wonders for my car. I usually put in a 16lb bag of ice from Acme into it and that lasts me all night

I also have a compartment for dry ice, but I did not find that dry ice worked good to cool down the large volume of water in the tank around. Dry ice also melted very fast and it makes a buzzing sound when it melts in the compartment. It is also a PITA to handle since you need gloves and something to break it up. So yeah - dry ice compartment was a big waste. Iit is more functional to fill the icebox with ice and use that space as a Grey Goose bottle chiller
where did you get your compartment
Old 12-24-2009, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by theeddie
where did you get your compartment
from Donny

donnybail@aol.com

Quality is awesome and the welds are flawless. Pricing can't be beat either, not to mention he made it to my exact specs

Old 12-24-2009, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
I love my ice reservoir just for the fact it lets me run decent numbers during summer. The gains during summer are going to be more substantial than winter. As the weather cools the gains aren't linear but the ice and extra capacity will still keep your IAT's in check. If I was to guess, during the hotter months I gained anywhere from .1-.2 and during the winter so far I've seen between .05-.1 which is quite substantial for my car.

If you plan on drag racing all season long I would highly recommend installing one. If you're looking for day to day street gains save your money, to me it wouldn't be worth it. The only way you're going reap the benefits of the rear reservoir is by stuffing ice in it's throat...JMHO.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bassn_07
If you plan on drag racing all season long I would highly recommend installing one. If you're looking for day to day street gains save your money, to me it wouldn't be worth it. The only way you're going reap the benefits of the rear reservoir is by stuffing ice in it's throat...JMHO.
by getting a larger reservoir you are increasing the capacity of the cooling system. with larger capacity the coolant will not heat up nearly as fast as it would with crappy stock system which has no tank at all.....rear mount tank is beneficial even without ice.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by prodigymb
by getting a larger reservoir you are increasing the capacity of the cooling system. with larger capacity the coolant will not heat up nearly as fast as it would with crappy stock system which has no tank at all.....rear mount tank is beneficial even without ice.
It will help but it's not nearly as beneficial as stuffing it with ice. I've data logged my car extensively, both with ice and without ice and once the water heats up and no ice is used it's no longer beneficial, at least with my 3.5 gallon reservoir. I totally agree with this system being far superior than the stock system but when compared to a car setup with a larger HE and pump the gains will be minimal (day to day driving), at least from my logging experience. I will say that you have more than twice the capacity than myself which I'm sure leads to different results.

Most people up to this point that have installed the rear reservoir are hard core track junkies. If I never planned on tracking my car I wouldn't do it, I would install the HE and pump and call it the day.

Mark, what kind of gains have you seen at the track? I remember we talked about it but I'm curious if you're seen the same results as myself.

Last edited by bassn_07; 12-24-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Thanks for all the great info guys!
I have definitely decided that cooling upgrades will be my first performance mods so this is helpful.
Do you guys think a smaller reservoir under the hood (with the ability to shove say a half gallon of ice water into it), combined with an upgraded pump and H/E will give any added benefits over just the pump/he for the occasional track day?

My goal is to break into the 11's.
Thanks.

Last edited by Worth the wait; 12-24-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Thanks for all the great info guys!
I have definitely decided that cooling upgrades will be my first performance mods so this is helpful.
Do you guys think a smaller reservoir under the hood (with the ability to shove say a half gallon of ice water into it), combined with an upgraded pump and H/E will give any added benefits over just the pump/he for the occasional track day?

My goal is to break into the 11's.
Thanks.
A smaller reservoir under the hood would gain you zero results. On a given day I could go through 60 pounds of ice at a track event . There are plenty of guys running awesome times with just a upgraded HE and pump.

BTW....taking care of cooling first is a very good idea . Most people don't do this but IMO it's the best first mod you could do. It should be about utilizing every single hp you have first than add on.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

W221
BTW....taking care of cooling first is a very good idea . Most people don't do this but IMO it's the best first mod you could do. It should be about utilizing every single hp you have first than add on.
+1
Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I learned it from watching you guys....lol.

Yup cooling mods and work on my launch...then the power adders
Old 12-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
One of these days I'm going to get around to doing this lol
Old 12-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Like you need to go any faster...

JK JK buddy! I don't even want to imagine how much faster you'll be with one...
Old 12-24-2009, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A smaller reservoir under the hood would gain you zero results. On a given day I could go through 60 pounds of ice at a track event . There are plenty of guys running awesome times with just a upgraded HE and pump.

I had some major issues in our summer heat without the rear mount tank. I have an upgraded HE and Cm30 pump, and in the summer it was still not enough. In the summer I picked up .3 on the E/T , my car was just not taking the heat. My tank is very large so it takes a while for all the water to heat up even without ice...also the way I have my "plumbing" setup the coolant goes thru the heat exchanger prior to returning to the tank....so by the time it mixes in it already cooled down a little.

Because of large volum my ice melts much slower, I usually load in a 16lb bag into the tank it will last me all night.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
Weather here in the S.F. Bay Area have been IDEAL for the E55 these last few weeks. Cold enough to get all the timing you'd want, warm enough to get warm tires hooked up to the road properly. It is scary how much faster the car feels now versus the hot summer months we had this past summer. I can only imagine what it is like for you E55'ers who live in places where it gets REALLY hot. High 40's to mid 50's and I've got more power than I ought to J/K, never enough power, just don't be an idiot.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
But I would not run a upgraded HE and upgraded pump without splitting the IC system.

Splitting the system really makes a significant difference. I ran my Code3 HE and CM30 for about 1 year without splitting the lines that join the engine coolant with the IC system.

This past summer I removed my air filtration assembly on the passenger side and outside the firewall of the engine bay. I placed a 60+ oz Volvo coolant reservoir, clamped to the engine firewall.

Ran a 3/4" line down to the IC line. The reservoir has a 5/8" return line mounted on the top. I ran another 5/8" house to my bleed nipple. The 5/8" moves hot water out of the IC core and the 3/4" fills back the system.

I data logged before and after and on the hottest days this past summer... the gains were there. Cruising and on hard runs.

However, after sharing my results with Shardul, its more clear to me that a faster pump is needed to move the water (specially on the high rpm pulls)

My next project will be the CM90 with 3/4" outlets.

If I was to quantify the gains from splitting the system alone it would be around 10F during cruising 70mph on a 90F degree day and 20F on a pull to 110+ mph on the same 95+F degree day. (worst case). This gains were already on top of any gains from the bigger HE and CM30 pump.

One good thing about putting the reservoir outside the firewall of the engine bay. Less heat and its sits pretty high for gravity to makes its magic.

On a cooler days.. power is consistent.. even more than before.

However my recovery still takes 30 to 40 seconds to recover from a 100mph+ pull. This is where the faster pump has been proven to bring the time down.

for those thinking about coolings mods.. ready the STICKYS posted about DIY projects. It will show you how to split the system.

Spend a few minutes making a list of items you need and visit your nearest Pick Ur Parts junk yard. I found my Volvo Reservoir for about $10.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Do the nitrous instead and smash the all time MB record, that 10.57 should be yours very soon....it stood long enough!