Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy the E55 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi s6
Price for Power...I stepped out of a 50K sedan and in my case I paid less for the E55 but felt I got way more of a car...
Mercedes has a class thats different that Audi and BMW...Made the decision for me even easier.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 PM

2006 E55 Designo 1991 190E 2.3 2000 BMW 740i 1987 PORSHCE 928S4
I've always owned Porsches but always wanted a MB. When I read about this car's review 8 months ago I had to get one. My first test drive really sealed the deal. I couldn’t get the smile out from my face. This car is amazing fast. Besides I need a car that can go fast and carry passengers. Now that I’ve been on this forum it affirms that I’ve made the right choice.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
b/c I was stupid enough to buy opinions from stupid members in this forum who were always boasting how fast an E55 was....

j/k.... like azipod said, purely engine and has 4 doors. Don't really care about the look, the 3-pointed star, etc. etc. etc.

When an E55 is resurrected w/ a turbo or alike in W212 or whatever form, or an F10 M5 TT goes into the market, or something in similar size w/ F/I engine and 4 doors, I'll jump the ship after all gremlins have been sorted out. I love America where we could get great cars for dirt cheap
Old 12-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
I bought it because:

1. The motor. "469" hp and 516 ft-lbs of torque. TORQUE FTW!~!

2. It's an E-class. I think one of the best lookin sedans out there.

3. A 4 door sedan that can whoop exotics brings a smile to my face.
Well said mate.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
The exact same reason I've owned any of my vehicles. To get me from point A to point B with a massive grin on my face

BenzoBoi - you definitely said it best
Old 12-23-2009, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
1. Monster torque way down low so there's no need to rev like a ricer when it's time to get into another lane from a dead stop
2. 4 doors, 5 occupants
3. Car does not scream "look at me!"
4. Easy to mod and you actually gain mpg from power mods
5. Near unbeatable on the straights where I drive 99 miles out of every 100
6. Not limited to only winning races on the twisties
7. I considered a CL65 but gas mileage changed my mind. I know poor gas mileage is a given with these cars, but I want to avoid funneling too much money to countries that despise the US.
8. I considered a Challenger SRT-8 but found out that performance numbers were overstated and confirmed it during a test drive.
9. Comes stock with cool features like a built-in reason for losing races (IC pump)
10. Best bang for the buck car hands down!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:04 PM

E55 AMG
Could not live with another SMG box and the fact that you have to rev the F*** out of the engine to go fast.

Drove my 1st AMG (SL55) and I was hooked! E suited me best, found a mint, low miles ,1 owner with all the bits from a dealer, and that was it!

Err.. I did promised the wife that I would only do wheels and suspension.. And then I found you guys!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 PM

2013 E63 Performance Package
I run a company and needed something that I could show up to a meeting in that didn't look redneck, something to take my kids to school in, and I wanted a fun car that was fast as hell.

I am afraid I have ruined myself. I don't want to sell my car for a long time, but when I do, every car from now on will have to be over 450 HP.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
Its the best car in the world!!! for all of the above reasons! I am was thinking about my next car and I really cant decide maybe 65? but too much money!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:33 PM

06 E55
Had a 996 Turbo for a couple years that was modded and fast, but I got tired of the 6-speed in traffic as well as the small uncomfortable car for daily driving. I wanted something with comparable performance, but more comforts (keyless-go, a/c seats, etc.)
I thought I wanted an S65, but I "settled" for the E55 and now think it was the better choice.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:37 PM

E63 AMG & CLK350
What about E63's??
Old 12-23-2009, 10:19 PM

E63, S550
Originally Posted by vinnyz
m5 was modded to the bone but not near as fast as what i have now .......
Goes to show that FI is the way to go for easy power I can't wait for the Merc TT V8

How much power did you get with your fully modded M5?

Originally Posted by LADY_AMG
What about E63's??
E63, what's that
Old 12-23-2009, 11:37 PM

2005 E55
horsepower is fun but when you add in a ton of torque the driving experience is escalated exponentially. I also own a dodge Viper with just about every bolt on imaginable. The torque can tear up the 345's with just a blip of the throttle.

I bought the E55 without even test driving one prior. I just knew I needed one when I saw the numbers the car was putting down.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
What about E63's??
Can only speak for myself - with the 63: loved the front end, loved the sound, great power but to access it you have to push a little more. That was a deal breaker for me. It may not seem like that big of a difference but for me, having max torque at 2600 rpms means your always in the power band. That, and if you want more power, it's easy to get, relatively inexpensive, and has been tested in this platform for several years now. Plus if I really want to get the 63 looks, I can always do the conversion. I love the 63, would even consider getting one (it just would be in addition to the 55, not to replace it.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Well I had never even drove a E55 when I bought one off ebay. I had a Escalade that I dumped way to much money into and got excited when looking at it but was boring to drive it. Then I started looking for a "fast" sedan and thought the E55 looked nice so I watched a couple Youtube vids and next thing you know I was bidding on one for fun and ended up winning it.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:01 AM

e55
Originally Posted by LADY_AMG
What about E63's??
they dont count lol ... just kidding i like them but can't drive n/a cars anymore . not enough tq for me . but urs looks good
Old 12-24-2009, 11:05 AM

e55
Originally Posted by LB63
Goes to show that FI is the way to go for easy power I can't wait for the Merc TT V8

How much power did you get with your fully modded M5?

E63, what's that
if i remember right it was 487 rwhp but no tq it ran very low 12's but highway it was fast and handling was insane . thats what i miss about that car was corners it would rip around them
Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Every since I saw an E55 run a high-11 at the track a few years ago I have wanted one. There was just something cool about a boring 4-door car that is as quick as a Vette, GT500, Cobra, etc.. I never thought I'd be able to get one, but fast forward to today and E55's are going for used Cobra and C5 Vette money.

I simply happened to go on E-bay one day, stumbled across a silver E55, and didn't believe the price. I looked at its location and it was literally 2 miles down the road from me. Hopped in my car, took a look at it, walked in and said "if you can finance it I'll take it". Completely spur of the moment, but that's how I seem to make purchases.

With that said, I bought it purely for the engine and the fact that it had 4 doors and a large trunk. The look on people's faces when I do a rolling burnout in an MB is priceless. 99% of the population has no idea what it is, and thats what I love about it. Going to the track and listening to the hillbillies make jokes about the Benz and then smoking their "race" car when the lights drop is as good as it gets for me.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:39 AM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by LB63
E63, what's that

Originally Posted by vinnyz
they dont count lol ... just kidding i like them but can't drive n/a cars anymore . not enough tq for me . but urs looks good
Thanks!

I had narrowed down my selection to a handful of cars to replace my M3 and the E55 was on the list. However, I found my E63 at such an amazing deal that it was hard to say no.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CL55
Geez... In retrospect, that seems like an easy answer, but may seem a little complex once answered..

I have owned and driven a lot of stuff. Been very lucky for a chump that that barely made it out of high school (might still be there were it not for shop classes; woodshop, metalshop, plastics, pwer mechanic's and electronic's!)!! I did actually flunk out of Texas Tech, but not cause I was an idiot (I don't think!). I am in software sales, and have done pretty well through my career. Was turned on to BMW's at an early age (after gowing tired of muscle-type cars). Enjoyed them for many years, until Chris Bangle ruined their style/design. Decided to look at the E39 M5, as the new M5 was still not available. Also did not like the SMG only choice for trannies. The the e39 M5 was impressive, IMO, it seemed to be missing something.

Being in sales, I believe customers want to see a successful rep and not be driven around by a hot-rodder in a stick shift car. I was aware of the Blower E55, so test drove a few. Steering was a bit light for me (now fixed in the E63), but the power, ride & comfort (seats) were top notch. Was always worried that they along with Porsche's were 'over engineered', but did not seem to be the case with the 55. My experience over 4.5 years of ownership was excellent. The car never broke down, was quick to repair when it went into the shop, no waiting on a goofy part, and I liked the idea of that back-up battery!

Getting back to the main points, I needed something comfortable, am a total speed junkine, but what ever I drove could not be "finnicky" in traffic with customers in the car. Most people did not even think it was anything special unless I floor-boarded it. That's what I appreciated, the stealthness, cops, others just did not seem to see the car, none of that boy-racer crap. Dealer service and support are top notch too. It's a car that feels good to drive, and is easy to drive at 8/10th's. God knows I am not skilled to drive it at 10/10th's. It's a car that can lug along, and still rewards the driver when needed. I can haul my kids around, my wife can drive it (almost never does though), or I can just haul ***. My dad had an old saying, "most fun you can have with your clothes on"...that one applies! His other was "most fun you can have without laughing", which is about the intimate relationship with a damn good looking female!

Not sure if this is the data you were looking for, but as a daily driver, it's served me very well the whole time I owned it till it was towed off from the accident site earlier this month. I just hope the E63 does the same for me. So far, it's off to a darn good start.

Happy Holiday's---
TomBoy
Southlake, Texas

Last edited by Tom_Boy; 12-24-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55, 2002 CLK55, 2005 SLK350 also a 2009 BMW 335-IX
There are lots of reasons...

Like Tom above, I am in Software sales, so we have similar views on this.

For me, stealth, speed, security and comfort are high on the list. And let me add the $xxt-eating grin it puts on my face...

Just knowing that there is virtually nothing else on the street with 4 doors that can touch it is worth the price of admission. Adding that it will also whip just about all the so-called performace sports cars is the icing on the cake.

Only those who really know cars understand what it is, and from a LE prespective you get very little notice from the Constables on Patrol.

I have another AMG, a CLK55 W208, and it's a totally different beast. A great car to be sure, but one that transmits how fast you are really going, to a point. The E55 gives you NO indication of the speed you are traveling. No NVH as they say in the business...

For a long haul down the interstate to a far off sales call (or to a vaction spot) there is nothing like this AMG.

OK, so through the twisitis the CLK or the SLK is more fun, and that's just fine with me.

There was a quote once, and it might have been from David E. Davis when he was running C+D... "Interstate travel is why God created the Mercedes-Benz." End of conversation.

Last edited by HighEndOne; 12-24-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 PM

His wife crazy
Forgot to mention. I had just put my deposit on an '09 G8 GXP and was waiting for the dealer to trade with another for my car and I saw these threads http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...&highlight=E55 and https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/307062-played-pontiac-g8-gxp.html which got me to thinking and before you know it, the GXP urge left as quickly as it came. After driving my friend's CLS550, the hook was set too deep to pull out.