Sponsored by:

Plummeting Value of used W211 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Some of you guys need a reality check. These cars are fun attractive have some nice features but reliable they are NOT. If you take the plunge do it because you love the car. If you want reliability buy a Toyota/Lexus.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM

princess diana shoe box
Originally Posted by emoving
Dude, you better just go buy a Camry and stop sweating it. You are reading a forum of about 25 people that post most often and may have a problem or two. That does not account for the other 5000 E55s on the road. If you think the reliability is so bad why are you still looking for one? Your posts are starting to depress me. Looking at a 2002 blown E55 is not gonna help your reliability concerns.
Dude- go drink a beer take the edge off. Morning beers are the best
Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG - Soon
There is a risk associated with any car. You can buy a Camry and it could still blow up. You just have to hope you do all your research on the car, VIN, PPI etc..
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 AM

princess diana shoe box
Exactly.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Originally Posted by ///M-DIS
There is a risk associated with any car. You can buy a Camry and it could still blow up. You just have to hope you do all your research on the car, VIN, PPI etc..
Or better yet, get your floor mat stuck in your accelerator.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by ///M-DIS
That does not change the fact that MB are unreliable.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Another worthless thread!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:47 AM

LS430
Originally Posted by ownersite
Just my opinion here, but buying a new E63 for $95k knowing the history of depreciation of these cars is not the best financial move. Paying $35k for a car as incredible as the E55 and seeing it depreciate a $2-3k per year over the next few years does not keep me up at night. In fact, it makes me grin every time I open the garage door.

^^very true, a prime reason why sometimes it doesn't make sense to buy a car new, and better off buying a super low mileage one owner and pay less. Cars should never be viewed as an investment standpoint, it is a liability and it will depreciate no matter what it is. On a financial basis it will be best to get what you want with the least miles,with a good service and ownership history for the best price..we call that a deal and the right way to buy a used car none the less a high performance car.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 PM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by Full Throttle
Some of you guys need a reality check. These cars are fun attractive have some nice features but reliable they are NOT. If you take the plunge do it because you love the car. If you want reliability buy a Toyota/Lexus.
What he said. If you're jumping into the pool with a car like this and $2K in unforeseen costs per year make you nervous it's the wrong car to buy.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
That does not change the fact that MB are unreliable.
MB always tries to be on the cutting edge of technology / performance. You can't be very reliable changing complete engine/tranny concepts every 3 years. You can't be reliable when you have cup holders that look like they're from transformers.

Even after all these years, my friends open the cup holders and then shake their heads in disbelief, in a " that's cool yet completely uneccesary" way. I'm still in disbelief that they haven't broken yet (knock on wood)
Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by anerbe
MB always tries to be on the cutting edge of technology / performance. You can't be very reliable changing complete engine/tranny concepts every 3 years. You can't be reliable when you have cup holders that look like they're from transformers.

Even after all these years, my friends open the cup holders and then shake their heads in disbelief, in a " that's cool yet completely uneccesary" way. I'm still in disbelief that they haven't broken yet (knock on wood)
My cup holder is the cheapest crap i have ever seen, but it does look nice. You should take your Benz blinders off and learn to call a spade a spade.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM

E63 AMG
My cup holder is the cheapest crap i have ever seen, but it does look nice. You should take your Benz blinders off and learn to call a spade a spade.
Numbers speak!?! ya, you also posted that poll in the CLS section. No offense, but I do not like anything about the looks of the CLS. It looks like a turtle driving down the road... not my thing.

If you want to come over here for the tech, great... constantly dissing the E's... well thats just downright dumb.

Every car has their issues or problems.... just pick the one you want to drive and make sure you have warranty!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
In my opinion the CLS55 is a timeless design much like the 90's era RX7 300zx Supra..ect if it were anything else i would have dumped it a long time ago. No offense to the E class guys but the blandness of the looks would not allow me to look past all the issues associated with owning a Benz.
Funny, I considered replacing my E55 with one and several people (the wife included) commented that it looked like it was "pinching a loaf". I actually love the exterior but the dash ruins it for me and the interior is the part I have to look at so it killed it for me. All a matter of personal preference but they are both great cars.

I was not thrilled with the E55 looks either which is why I converted mine to the E63 front end and trunk lip long ago. The facelift wasn't cheap but made all the difference in the world to me as it rid the E55 of the boring front end.

BTW, Anyone considering one of these that thinks it's expensive should try owning an exotic. I spent $7,500 for a routine service on a car a lot slower than an E55. In my book, they are cheap to maintain compared to anything with similar performance.

Hey, has anyone been able to get warranties on low mile '03 E55's from reputable companies? If so, these would make for an amazing value and cover ones ****!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:09 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Funny, I considered replacing my E55 with one and several people (the wife included) commented that it looked like it was "pinching a loaf". I actually love the exterior but the dash ruins it for me and the interior is the part I have to look at so it killed it for me. All a matter of personal preference but they are both great cars. !
Pinched loaf...
Old 01-10-2010, 08:25 PM

a g
I read once elsewhere on MBworld that cost of maintenance is commensurate with the cost of the car. Why would anyone expect that it would be cheap to maintain a $90k car, even if they bought if for $30k used?

Just buy the lowest mileage example you can find within your price range, all else should be secondary but still considered. And the CLS and E-Class are aimed at wholly different buyers, its no wonder most like one or the other. Personally, I like both.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned

SL55 AMG & BMW F10
I was not thrilled with the E55 looks either which is why I converted mine to the E63 front end and trunk lip long ago. The facelift wasn't cheap but made all the difference in the world to me as it rid the E55 of the boring front end.
I wanna see your E63 conversion. We should meet sometime.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
In regards to the CLS VS E, it's a tough one to me.

I think the CLS's good angles (side, and rear/side 3/4) do evoke much stronger emotions, and look far more sharp than the E's.

However, to me, the E is a more attractive car for what *I* like from cars.

As far as timeless, IMO the CLS is the furthest thing from it, it is a VERY trendy design, very fashionable, and will look very "xx year" when it gets old. I like to keep my cars for a while (usually), and the W211, due to its very classic vibe, understated, and simple, clean, etc. lines, IMO is as timeless as a Sedan will get right now. Some will find it boring, but some (like me) who appreciate the design, can find it gorgeous. The CLS is not understated at all. The W211 has one of my favorite interiors out there, the CLS steps it up with a more "fashion" and fancy/overstated vibe, while the W211 keeps it clean and classy, I love them both, although I wish the CLS had wood on the doors, that's my only real beef with its interior.

IMO the CLS deal-breakers are that although it has areas that make me drool, it has too many flaws (again, IMO), the rear to me is absolutely hideous, and the front end is also lousy to me. The W211 might not compare to the CLS' best angles, but it doesn't have a "bad" angle at all.

Interesting tidbit, the CLS has a Drag Coeff of .31, while the W211's is a much better .27. Can anyone explain to me HOW the hell this is possible? The CLS *looks* much more aerodynamic.

About the M5, I think the E60 is a bad design, which will age very very poorly (again, trendy and fashionable somehow during its respective time). I still like it for all reasons aside from design and interior. The F10 will fix those problems though.

To O/P, maybe it's me, but it seems this might not be the car for you, seems you (pretty rightfully) cynical about the potential Reliability of the E55, or Benzes in general. It can be a mixed bag (some good and some bad), but if Reliability is a big factor, I wouldn't get an AMG. I was soooo close to buying an E55, and ended up last minute going to another Dealer, and finding a low mileage, CPO E350, which cost me as much as the '04 E55 I was eyeing. Due to my own concerns with Reliability. I love my car, but if I could do it again, I'd go E55, as I don't drive my car much.

That's my .02.

Last edited by K-A; 01-11-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
I heard all this in 1993 when the MKIV was introduced, they were wrong then and you are wrong now. Some of you E drivers are WAY to sensitive. Enjoy your car and dont care so much about what other people think
Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by VENOMNS
Numbers speak!?! ya, you also posted that poll in the CLS section. !

What the devil does a looks poll have to do with a cars reliability.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VENOMNS
Pinched loaf...
Sorry, not my verbiage as I am generally for more eloquent in my criticisms of style but it was funny so I passed it along.

While not even remotely close to the level of car I drive, I also really like the VW CC body which is striking similar in appearance to the CLS in concept. The interior of the full blown model has a very Italian feel to it while remaining very German. If they put in 500HP and got rid of the VW badge, I might just buy one.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RedG
I read once elsewhere on MBworld that cost of maintenance is commensurate with the cost of the car. Why would anyone expect that it would be cheap to maintain a $90k car, even if they bought if for $30k used?
My point exactly. It is line with all the morons that are buying used Ferraris for $50-60K and fall over dead the first time they get the $8K bill for the engine out timing belt service, or $4K clutch replacement bill and start crying like babies. The cars in question were nearly $200K (or more depending on model) new so what do they expect the service to cost.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MPRESIV
I wanna see your E63 conversion. We should meet sometime.
Just PM me and I will send you my phone number as we can live far from each other (I am just outside of Cherry Creek North). I am the only one that I know of that did it to a car with both Parktronic and Distronic. Fun times but worth it. I put up a great post on this forum with a complete parts list to do the job as the factory intended down to the last washer and clip but never added picks as most everyone knew what an E63 looks like (and I'm lazy).

I also have another goody for you to look at...E63 paddles fitted to an MP Design/Renntech wheel. Another E55 requirement for me.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

princess diana shoe box
Originally Posted by K-A
In regards to the CLS VS E, it's a tough one to me.

I think the CLS's good angles (side, and rear/side 3/4) do evoke much stronger emotions, and look far more sharp than the E's.

However, to me, the E is a more attractive car for what *I* like from cars.

As far as timeless, IMO the CLS is the furthest thing from it, it is a VERY trendy design, very fashionable, and will look very "xx year" when it gets old. I like to keep my cars for a while (usually), and the W211, due to its very classic vibe, understated, and simple, clean, etc. lines, IMO is as timeless as a Sedan will get right now. Some will find it boring, but some (like me) who appreciate the design, can find it gorgeous. The CLS is not understated at all. The W211 has one of my favorite interiors out there, the CLS steps it up with a more "fashion" and fancy/overstated vibe, while the W211 keeps it clean and classy, I love them both, although I wish the CLS had wood on the doors, that's my only real beef with its interior.

IMO the CLS deal-breakers are that although it has areas that make me drool, it has too many flaws (again, IMO), the rear to me is absolutely hideous, and the front end is also lousy to me. The W211 might not compare to the CLS' best angles, but it doesn't have a "bad" angle at all.

Interesting tidbit, the CLS has a Drag Coeff of .31, while the W211's is a much better .27. Can anyone explain to me HOW the hell this is possible? The CLS *looks* much more aerodynamic.

About the M5, I think the E60 is a bad design, which will age very very poorly (again, trendy and fashionable somehow during its respective time). I still like it for all reasons aside from design and interior. The F10 will fix those problems though.

To O/P, maybe it's me, but it seems this might not be the car for you, seems you (pretty rightfully) cynical about the potential Reliability of the E55, or Benzes in general. It can be a mixed bag (some good and some bad), but if Reliability is a big factor, I wouldn't get an AMG. I was soooo close to buying an E55, and ended up last minute going to another Dealer, and finding a low mileage, CPO E350, which cost me as much as the '04 E55 I was eyeing. Due to my own concerns with Reliability. I love my car, but if I could do it again, I'd go E55, as I don't drive my car much.

That's my .02.
Good read, Friend. I am a bit cynical about a 5,6,or 7 yr old used car costing north of 25K and needing constant attention from a mechanic or a warrantee for the "what ifs". Sure the cars are super fun.....but the bottom line is the bottom line...$25,000 or more is alot of money to me
Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Sorry, not my verbiage as I am generally for more eloquent in my criticisms of style but it was funny so I passed it along.

While not even remotely close to the level of car I drive, I also really like the VW CC body which is striking similar in appearance to the CLS in concept. The interior of the full blown model has a very Italian feel to it while remaining very German. If they put in 500HP and got rid of the VW badge, I might just buy one.
Turbocharge the VR6 model and debadge it Easily make over 500whp
Old 01-11-2010, 12:49 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I have an 04 that I drive every day, sometimes 100 miles in one day. I am the second owner and bought the car with very low miles. I also have a strong warranty 100K to 2013. At 80K and still going I have had the main seal on the tranny replaced, motor mounts, tranny mount, washer fluid tank replaced, and now I am have valve cover gaskets replaced and the tranny is leaking fluid. My car is bone stock and mostly serviced by the dealer (except for brakes). So far the warranty has covered around 5 grand in repairs, so it's worth having. To me the service is reasonable for the type of car it is, and some things you can DYI to save a little money. You have to take the cost of the car in consideration when buying the car. That is my concern with buying a 997 turbo. I don't know how much the up keep will cost. As with any car you buy it is important to know how it will cost to keep the car running, so you don't find yourself in a bad situation. The cls is a classy looking car, but I like the E just the same.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plummeting Value of used W211 E55