W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery protection convenience feature...radio doesn't work???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
battery protection convenience feature...radio doesn't work???

What do I need to do. I guess my lights stayed on overnight and the battery got weak and there's a feature on these cars that keeps enough juice in the battery to be able to start it, but all of the nav, radio, and such do not work. I charged the battery for a few hours w/no success. Do I need to just replace the battery? Or try charging it for a longer amount of time? Or maybe just disconnect and reconnect the battery? Thanks--Andy
Old 01-24-2010, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Andy try a search,

MB Road side service has been known to deliver and install MB batteries cheaper than going to the dealer.

IMHO once a battery has been dead, it never returns to it's original potential, no matter how much you recharge it. This is important because a weak battery makes the alternator work harder and allows for greater voltage swings and that spells death to the modules circuit boards, controllers, sensors, solenoids low voltage kills. Avoid the electrical gremlins get a new starter battery and check the SBC battery if it is older than 4 years.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
The battery for the accessories is not the same one that is used to start the car.

See this thread for details, and where not to go if you need a new one.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...w-battery.html
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM

E55 AMG
thanks guys
Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by X2Board
The battery for the accessories is not the same one that is used to start the car.

See this thread for details, and where not to go if you need a new one.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...w-battery.html

sorry, but that's simply wrong, whatever could be written in the other thread: when you are not in emergency mode it is the main battery (located in the trunk) the sole that is used for both starting AND for accessories.
The AUx battery located underhood is used for starting only in emergency mode after the battery control module detects that the main batt is low and therefore it cuts accessories.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM

His wife crazy
Originally Posted by dyno
sorry, but that's simply wrong, whatever could be written in the other thread: when you are not in emergency mode it is the main battery (located in the trunk) the sole that is used for both starting AND for accessories.
The AUx battery located underhood is used for starting only in emergency mode after the battery control module detects that the main batt is low and therefore it cuts accessories.
You are correct. I was told by a Mercedes tech that the primary function was SBC operation in an emergency and accessory power. After reading your post, I did my own research and found the attached document.

Thanks,
Marlon
Attached Files
Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 AM

Audi s6
This is very true.. Infact sometimes the there is no problem with your battery and there is a serious draw coming from somewhere.
In my case the audio gateway is shot from the aftermarket stereo unit(at least that was what the dealer said) and also that they installed the valentine radar to the sunroof and that was causing a draw as well.
My car was stuck at the dealer for a whole week and they tested the front battery. 90% of the time it does not have to be replaced because as stated before its simply a backup for the SBC-brake system incase your other battery looses power.

Good luck as I know you will need it when it comes to electrical components on these cars.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by X2Board
You are correct. I was told by a Mercedes tech that the primary function was SBC operation in an emergency and accessory power. After reading your post, I did my own research and found the attached document.

Thanks,
Marlon

I read that doc much time ago but I don't remember it was talking of the sbc thing.

weird that also my MB tech in Italy was saying the same thing about, ie sbc back up, but if you look at diagrams you'll find it is also untrue.

imho, the electric sbc is simply powered by the alt.

The AUX batt is normally dis-connected (except that once, at each ignition cycle it is being checked and, if necessary, charged).
When the module detects the main is low, first thing it disconnects accessories and in th emeantime it triggers the relais who connects the Aux battery in parallel. but this is not intended for powering a specific device. it just helps the electric system as a whole.
once the engine is started it will be the Alt's duty ..