W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renntech headers with otherwise stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Renntech headers with otherwise stock exhaust?

I'd expect Renntech headers, even with otherwise stock exhaust to yeild some power gains. What I need to know is if the exhaust is much louder? I wouldn't expect it to much, if any louder, but hopefully somebody can tell me from experience.

As always, thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Talking

Originally Posted by Objectionable
I'd expect Renntech headers, even with otherwise stock exhaust to yeild some power gains. What I need to know is if the exhaust is much louder? I wouldn't expect it to much, if any louder, but hopefully somebody can tell me from experience.

I did my headers last week. I got EVOSport shorty headers. Not a noticable change in sound just a low end rumble I never heard before.

I am getting CATS and RES done this week so I'm sure it'll be a little louder.

Power was noticable from the get go. I did an ECU reset when I got the car home and now I can smoke 'em in 1st & 2nd.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 PM

E55 AMG
Thanks for the information!!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
I also have done Evosport headers as my only exhaust mod. Definitely measureably better performance, but no significantly different exhaust note.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
I too am thinking about headers. I have a pretty tight budget and am thinking about buying used. I'm still looking into Kleeman headers or a used set of Evosport headers
Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Roseylv
I too am thinking about headers. I have a pretty tight budget and am thinking about buying used. I'm still looking into Kleeman headers or a used set of Evosport headers
My MB dealer is an authoized Renntech dealer too. No big deal except that if I buy from them and they install the parts I'm in the clear on a warranty claim. I like that peace of mind. The price for Renntech headers installed is $5,405.00. Pretty pricey.

If it wasn't for the warranty I wouldn't think twice about putting a pair of EvoSport headers. My guess is that the EvoSports probably wouldn't void anything, but it's just another layer of BS that I don't want or need.

I'm glad it isn't much louder - I like the way the car sounds now.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by Roseylv
I got a set of used EvoSport headers from a board memeber here at a great price. It's well worth it to do the headers, the car is smoother and power is noticeable.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG

I have had my Renntech's shorty headers for over 2 years now. I've noticed a deeper exhaust note but nothing too aggressive. The interior noise it creates is also a very slight deeper burble but again not loud. IMHO, it sounds much better that stock but maintains that sleeper persona.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how many WHP the headers added. I had other mods installed at the same time.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ties-mods.html
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
My MB dealer is an authoized Renntech dealer too. No big deal except that if I buy from them and they install the parts I'm in the clear on a warranty claim. I like that peace of mind. The price for Renntech headers installed is $5,405.00. Pretty pricey.

If it wasn't for the warranty I wouldn't think twice about putting a pair of EvoSport headers. My guess is that the EvoSports probably wouldn't void anything, but it's just another layer of BS that I don't want or need.

I'm glad it isn't much louder - I like the way the car sounds now.
Have your SA check the price of the Kleemann headers and install.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 AM

2004 E55 AMG
I have experience with this.

I installed Renntech headers (only, no software tune, etc). I performed a dyno run before and after installation (same dyno, similar temp, barometric pressure, humidity, w/ ECU reset). The results were a slight LOSS in power, overall. My understanding is headers increase exhaust scavenging efficiencies; therefore a drop in cylinder pressure and change in mixture will result. Hence the requirement for a good tune to turn these losses into gains. So, I hate to say it, but it appears from my findings, that ONLY a header install will decrease performance.

Proceeding the above tests, I installed a 178mm pulley, heat exchanger + pump, and respective Renntech tuning. My performance has obviously improved from these, but I am left questioning the influence of the headers. I would like to assume there are performance gains from the headers, when paired with a larger pulley and tune, but I am not entirely convinced.

As for the sound, the headers have added a quiet, yet tasteful, throaty growl. I am VERY cautious and careful in maintaining a refined, luxury vehicle presence, and the addition of these headers has not compromised that. There are a TON of exhaust clips on YouTube, and 99.9% are too much for my tastes.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Last edited by tylersphile; 02-03-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
if you keep the stock mufflers you wont get much sound out of headers... But you will get great gains -- stock manifolds are the weakest point in our cars --