W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daimler Chrysler build quality questionable....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by Eddie 500
not sure why the insults are continuing?
If there was a party, and no one like you, why would you stay?

Hey Ed, what kind of car do you drive?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Helloooooooo
I can't hear a thing. (Tapping on computer screen) "Is this thing working"?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor
I can't hear a thing. (Tapping on computer screen) "Is this thing working"?

You keep on knockin’ but can’t come in.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C55 AMG, 2010 Genesis Coupe
not sure why the insults are continuing?
Because you are an immature, liittle child of 47yrs.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK but loves my Fords
Im sorry 500, but you are just frustrated, a E55 was your wet dream but now you are realizing you cant afford an unreliable car. There are not too many 500+HP cars that arent gonna cost you $$ for maintence and repairs. Maybe u should of never came here then you would of just bought an E55 and dealt with it later, but u came in here and found out u have to pay to play. I almost bought one last summer but decided i dont want to deal with the reliability issues so I wait and look else where, im half your age man u should of figured all this out yourself.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 AM

E55, 911 Carrera, CLK350 Cab, Expedition - kid mover & huntin' truck
Thumbs down

So if I understand this 6 page thread correctly: Some guy who has never owned a Mercedes and recently stated he was hot in the market for an E55 comes on the dedicated E55 forum to proclaim that the forum members' cars are all crap quality. (Conclusion evidently reached through research and comparison to those quality icons Cadillac, Lincoln and Harley Davidson.)
Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 AM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
+1 on the ban vote.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:07 AM

E 63 // Porsche 930 // Porsche 993
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 930chas
This thread=fail. Seriously. Show me any high performance vehicle out of warranty that won't incur rather high maintenance bills. Would you buy an e60 M5 out of warranty? Would you buy a used RS6 with no warranty? As the saying goes, you have to pay to play!

Also, the new E-series is w212 not w221, and enjoy your wait.

I'll show you my 1989 Porsche 930, 21 years old, out of warranty, less than $2500 spent in the last 5 years. Even MB thought that going with Chrysler was a mistake, that's why they walked away...
Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Twinreds
I'll show you my 1989 Porsche 930, 21 years old, out of warranty, less than $2500 spent in the last 5 years. Even MB thought that going with Chrysler was a mistake, that's why they walked away...
I am assuming that is not a DD like most all E55s.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by emoving
I am assuming that is not a DD like most all E55s.
It's not, but when driven, probably much harder than most E55s. Besides, it's 21 years old, most people are dumping not only E55s, but E63s, Audi RS4's and RS6's etc after 4-5 years of ownership because of the same issue. This is not only about MB, although in all honesty, for a while the MB/Chrysler thing cheapened the brand. I see every other thread here saying that my E55 broke the IC pump this, that I think my car is not running well because of that, etc., but for a car that is supposed to be well built and being from the "racing division" of MB, why would it break down so much under mostly normal street driving? Just IMHO, I don't want to get sucked into a "Jersey Shore Situation"
Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's not, but when driven, probably much harder than most E55s. Besides, it's 21 years old, most people are dumping not only E55s, but E63s, Audi RS4's and RS6's etc after 4-5 years of ownership because of the same issue. This is not only about MB, although in all honesty, for a while the MB/Chrysler thing cheapened the brand. I see every other thread here saying that my E55 broke the IC pump this, that I think my car is not running well because of that, etc., but for a car that is supposed to be well built and being from the "racing division" of MB, why would it break down so much under mostly normal street driving? Just IMHO, I don't want to get sucked into a "Jersey Shore Situation"
I agree but then again my Porshes in the past have been rock solid! Those car are built like tanks and can take any thing you thow at them hence the reason I am looking for a 996tt. Cant beat the dependability of a
P-car!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I agree but then again my Porshes in the past have been rock solid! Those car are built like tanks and can take any thing you thow at them hence the reason I am looking for a 996tt. Cant beat the dependability of a
P-car!
The 996TT is a different story as are 993s and 964s, 930s, etc.. But look at 996s and 997s. (RMS anybody? IMS? Imploding motors?) Or BMWs (how many HPFPs have you replaced in your 335i while being left stranded on the side of the road) No car seems to be immune. At least compared to cars from a decade or two ago.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:31 PM

CLK but loves my Fords
I guess thats why ive been seen these e55's for mid 20's. So tempting!! Smart side tells me mid 20's get a nice Lexus or acura but the devil whispers used E55.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 PM

2002 BMW M5, 1992 AWD DSM, 1988 Yamaha FZR1000
I got through about 4 pages of this thread and was just rolling. Literally.

The guy claims he's 47 and talks like a 13-year-old hoodrat from Camden.

why uz hatin on me i dont understand. cause i point out a cars flaws? be real
Here's this for "real", kiddo. If you want to be taken seriously, try actually bringing content to the table, rather than reaching into your Bartlett's and popping out some poorly worded attempt at a condescending put-down like this winner:
othing constructive or enlightening is evolving from a thread i hoped would invoke some thought.
Seriously? Do you have Asperger's? Some other social disorder? Even further proof of you playing without a full deck is how you rapidly degenerate into "UR JUS TALKIN **** BEHIND A MONITOR"-level insults. The same type used by high schoolers who want to be the most popular kid in school.

I'm not joking, either. You actually did go there. Wow.

Guys like u are real tuff behind ur computers but are worms in real life
I'm absolutely amazed that anyone has bothered to respond to "u" as much as they have thus far. You flip-flop wildly, can't form a sentence, talk like a thizzed-out poser thug, and when you ACTUALLY learn how to use Google and find out what engines are in what cars, you come up with this gem.

benz has moved away from supercharging cars. They know it don't pay. They had to in order to keep their client base. The new hi perf cars are NA. And they have just as much hp as the forced induction cars.
And yet another fail. Perhaps you haven't managed to sneak out of your parent's house and hit up the local library to use the internet again, but next time you do, check out where all the high-horsepower cars are headed. Forced induction. That's right. Forced induction. MY12 Mercedes-Benz are moving to TT V8s (the current 600/65AMG are already TT V12s), BMW is moving to a TT V8, Audi already has a TT V10.

You really know jack **** about engine technology and the automotive industry in general (for that matter, ANYTHING) if you think MB moved away from forced induction because "they know it don't[sp] pay". Oh, and by the way, next time you're in public school, ask your teacher how to use grammar and contractions properly. The word is "doesn't". "Does not", not "do not". Try it with me a few times. Sound it out in your head. Remove the apostrophe and sound it out slowly. If the sentence sounds like you talking to your friends, you're saying it wrong. If it sounds like it's proper English, it's correct! Let's try this out, Mr. 47-year-old illiteracy poster child. "They know it do not pay." Does that sound right to you? Well, it doesn't to anyone else. Now, let's try the CORRECT way! "They know it does not pay". Bravo!

Frankly, you are a complete waste of time, with very little intelligence and zero worth on these forums. Or, since these paragraphs are long and difficult for you to comprehend, I will put it words that you might actually understand.

yo dawg u mad cuz u jus all show and no go
Old 02-07-2010, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ohhhh Nait!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL......Just in time for SB halftime!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Haha...are you seriously comparing the maintenance of a 930 to an e55??? Of course the 930 is cheap to maintain, there is nothing to it. Plus, if you can't do your own maintenance or repairs on a 930 you don't deserve to own one. They are two totally different vehicles. Worlds apart.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 PM

princess diana shoe box
speed racer u funny boy
Old 02-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Exclamation

Haha...are you seriously comparing the maintenance of a 930 to an e55??? Of course the 930 is cheap to maintain, there is nothing to it. Plus, if you can't do your own maintenance or repairs on a 930 you don't deserve to own one. They are two totally different vehicles. Worlds apart.
Sooo...
How many 930's have you had?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
metal particles were found in the tranny pan.

thats why the trans was replaced.

that was not disclosed to me.

thats why i did not buy that car.

build quality.....thats how this thread started.....FACT
As someone who's bought and sold quite a few cars myself. It is true everything should be disclosed. BUT, having a brand new factory Tranny put in, by a Certified M-B Mechanic, especially when done via a slight "recall" on what was a faulty tranny to begin with (reason why '03/04 Tranny's were failing in the first place), is best case scenario when buying a Mercedes or the like to me. If you bought the car with the original Tranny, not only do you have an old Transmission that is closer to the end of its lifesapan, you are stuck with the original faulty Tranny, that likely might have its problems while you are the owner.

If you're in the market for a Benz, or especially an AMG, if the owner tells you that the Suspension (expensive to fix), Tranny, etc. have been replaced by the Dealer, under Warranty, those are GOOD things. I find people who don't know much about cars get afraid of repairs like that, as they feel cars should be indestructible, and they look at a car as a singular unit, like if something goes wrong, it's a "bad car", completely not realizing a car consists of thousands of individual parts. Some M-B's unfortunately have their fair share of problems, so when certain big components that are known to fail in some instances, are replaced, with newer, OEM parts, sometimes improved, then think of it as more of a reason to want to jump on that particular car, as you'll be in better hands than in one with the same mileage, with those same original parts.

Obviously there is the factor of having parts replaced due to abuse by the owner, and sometimes this is the case, however we never know how the owner treated a car that we are now buying, and fact is, many babied cars break, so it's a numbers game/gamble.

Just do your research and you'll know what's known to fail. If it's an '03/'04 with a new Tranny, there's a perfect explanation. If it's an Airmatic car with new struts, perfect explanation. If it's any Benz with a new motor, then THAT's a justifiable red flag, as M-B motors are known to be nearly indestructible, even through the worst reliable MY years.

The W140 is highly regarded Benz, and deserves respect from any true car enthusiast. It is a strong enough character that it's already being viewed as some sort of modern classic, it had its criticisms, and its high points (last Benz to be over-engineered, last of the old-school bank-vault/big-brick looking M-B's, only model that Designer Bruno Sacco said he wasn't 100% happy with).

I looked at some when I first bought my W211 as a DD, as they are DIRT cheap, and considering they were about $100K to begin with, buying a car only a decade or so old, that was built to such a high price point, for a few grand, is a no brainer right? Plus, the amazing comfort and confidence you get driving that thing beats anything else you can get for so cheap by a longshot.

However, like everything, there's a reason. They themselves are not the most reliable cars, and when things break, it can turn into a massive money pit. The A/C alone is a big one, as I believe there's a lot of labor involved, and can run lots of $$$$. M-B's aren't the most reliable cars in the world, and due to the complexity, never will be. Some can go forever with no problems as well. Although they are now so old it's almost impossible to have a trouble free example, the W126/W124's are still the most recent, non-complex models that aren't as scary, $$ repair wise, and are truly built during M-B's "run forever with no problems" era.

Last edited by K-A; 02-08-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Sooo...
How many 930's have you had?
I've had one..1987 930, but does that really matter? Again, I am more interested to know how you can compare the maintenance of a 930 to the maintenance of an e55? Please explain.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've had one..1987 930, but does that really matter? Again, I am more interested to know how you can compare the maintenance of a 930 to the maintenance of an e55? Please explain.
I gotta agree here a little twin, there are no electronincs in the Pcar like the Benz, there is no airmatic suspension, no SC clutch, really it is just a 6cyl turbo. I mean hell, even the a/c heat controls are slide knobs.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
I gotta agree here a little twin, there are no electronincs in the Pcar like the Benz, there is no airmatic suspension, no SC clutch, really it is just a 6cyl turbo. I mean hell, even the a/c heat controls are slide knobs.
Yeah, I am not trying to be an jerk here, but they really are two completely different cars. The merc is absolutely loaded with electronic gismos, and the 930 is completely not. The 930 is a drivers car, pure and simple. No ESP, no adjustable air suspension, no auto climate control, nothing fancy like that. You basically have a 4 speed transmission, well in his case 5 speed, and an intercooled 3.3l 6 with a big turbo on it, wrapped with a lightweight package, and that is about it. I did all the maintenance and repairs on my car except for when Imagine Auto built the motor and turned the car into a beast.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:21 AM

princess diana shoe box
Originally Posted by K-A
As someone who's bought and sold quite a few cars myself. It is true everything should be disclosed. BUT, having a brand new factory Tranny put in, by a Certified M-B Mechanic, especially when done via a slight "recall" on what was a faulty tranny to begin with (reason why '03/04 Tranny's were failing in the first place), is best case scenario when buying a Mercedes or the like to me. If you bought the car with the original Tranny, not only do you have an old Transmission that is closer to the end of its lifesapan, you are stuck with the original faulty Tranny, that likely might have its problems while you are the owner.

If you're in the market for a Benz, or especially an AMG, if the owner tells you that the Suspension (expensive to fix), Tranny, etc. have been replaced by the Dealer, under Warranty, those are GOOD things. I find people who don't know much about cars get afraid of repairs like that, as they feel cars should be indestructible, and they look at a car as a singular unit, like if something goes wrong, it's a "bad car", completely not realizing a car consists of thousands of individual parts. Some M-B's unfortunately have their fair share of problems, so when certain big components that are known to fail in some instances, are replaced, with newer, OEM parts, sometimes improved, then think of it as more of a reason to want to jump on that particular car, as you'll be in better hands than in one with the same mileage, with those same original parts.

Obviously there is the factor of having parts replaced due to abuse by the owner, and sometimes this is the case, however we never know how the owner treated a car that we are now buying, and fact is, many babied cars break, so it's a numbers game/gamble.

Just do your research and you'll know what's known to fail. If it's an '03/'04 with a new Tranny, there's a perfect explanation. If it's an Airmatic car with new struts, perfect explanation. If it's any Benz with a new motor, then THAT's a justifiable red flag, as M-B motors are known to be nearly indestructible, even through the worst reliable MY years.

The W140 is highly regarded Benz, and deserves respect from any true car enthusiast. It is a strong enough character that it's already being viewed as some sort of modern classic, it had its criticisms, and its high points (last Benz to be over-engineered, last of the old-school bank-vault/big-brick looking M-B's, only model that Designer Bruno Sacco said he wasn't 100% happy with).

I looked at some when I first bought my W211 as a DD, as they are DIRT cheap, and considering they were about $100K to begin with, buying a car only a decade or so old, that was built to such a high price point, for a few grand, is a no brainer right? Plus, the amazing comfort and confidence you get driving that thing beats anything else you can get for so cheap by a longshot.

However, like everything, there's a reason. They themselves are not the most reliable cars, and when things break, it can turn into a massive money pit. The A/C alone is a big one, as I believe there's a lot of labor involved, and can run lots of $$$$. M-B's aren't the most reliable cars in the world, and due to the complexity, never will be. Some can go forever with no problems as well. Although they are now so old it's almost impossible to have a trouble free example, the W126/W124's are still the most recent, non-complex models that aren't as scary, $$ repair wise, and are truly built during M-B's "run forever with no problems" era.
Very well stated. My sentiments precisely. For the price of one 2003 E55 I can purchase THREE W140's in perfect cond w/lo miles.

Two different vehicles. Two different price points.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
And you could probably also buy 350 Schwins, or 1000 pairs of sneakers - those won't probably ever break down.

Apples : Oranges
Old 02-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Exclamation

Yeah, I am not trying to be an jerk here, but they really are two completely different cars. The merc is absolutely loaded with electronic gismos, and the 930 is completely not. The 930 is a drivers car, pure and simple. No ESP, no adjustable air suspension, no auto climate control, nothing fancy like that. You basically have a 4 speed transmission, well in his case 5 speed, and an intercooled 3.3l 6 with a big turbo on it, wrapped with a lightweight package, and that is about it. I did all the maintenance and repairs on my car except for when Imagine Auto built the motor and turned the car into a beast.
That's my point, my car is also tuned to beast mode and is really bullet proof. If you can get all that power with minimal expenditure on repairs (whether you do them or not, parts are still $$) on a 21 year old car, this makes the point that technology should have gotten better. I agree in that 2 different cars (c'mon, even Stevie Wonder could see that!), my post was to answer about whether there was a high performance car that was any older than 5-6 years that was not a money pit: the answer is yes....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daimler Chrysler build quality questionable....