W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theoretical Discussion: Manual Tranny Swap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing worth listing.
Theoretical Discussion: Manual Tranny Swap?

This thread is just to gauge whether or not I'm the only one that feels this way...

Any other E55, or E63, owners out there sometimes wished they had a true manual transmission? I'm fully aware the current automatics may be better from even a performance standpoint due to it being able to shift through gears faster but what about the added control of a manual? There are already rebuild options out there that can make the auto's handle around 1200 horsepower... but how do you guys feel? This option might be a green light to higher levels of engine mods.

The pros are probably:
1. Added control to the driver. Some people simply like the third petal, or enjoy being able to choose exactly what gear they want to be in, etc.
2. Depending on transmission of choice, lighter weight?
3. Increased reliability, also depends on which transmission you choose. There are simply less things to go wrong on a conventional manual than the current automatic units.

Cons:
1. Cost
2. The recalibration of the ECU to accept a manual transmission might be tedious.
3. Worst performance (due to slower shifting) to those who aren't necessarily the best stick drivers

A few notable units that come to mind are the V160 units found in the twin-turbo Supras. This unit is capable of handling even 1600hp Supras and can be found pretty easily. Another is the T56 that comes in most V8 Chevy cars as well as a few special editions of mustangs, the viper, as well as an aston martin or two. Again, these units are rated to handle quite a lot of power too.

Please discuss.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:06 PM

2005 E55 & 2007 335iC
Stupid.... LOL sorry
Old 02-14-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Nah, but I would love to install 4Matic
Old 02-14-2010, 07:34 PM

2005 E55 & 2007 335iC
Originally Posted by tscales
Nah, but I would love to install 4Matic
RS6
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Originally Posted by azncantonw211
RS6
Don't think the wagon was imported, was it?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:27 AM
acb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 e55 amg
For me an E55 w/manual would be nirvana. In fact the only reason I would sell the car is to go back to a proper manual. Do it!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by tscales
Don't think the wagon was imported, was it?
No it wasn't. Maybe he is talkin about the 03 v8 biturbo that was unreliable
Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
you can't use the newer benz manuals b/c they also have an electronic ECU (hard to believe but true, dunno what in the world its needed for but it has one). The older ones suck and are cable driven. Your best bet is going with a non-benz tranny and customizing it to work. You will also need custom driveshaft and etc. A realistic budget for a job of this magnitude is probably $7-10k to do it right, so plan accordingly
Old 02-15-2010, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Anything is possible of course, but with the ECU and TCU in constant communication, I would put it more into the "private mission to moon or mars" category. It could be done but just so far out there in probability.

The code programming alone to change all that code communication would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Most of the time, you can just remove the TCU and the engine ECU will still operate totally fine. It will through a transmission service code light, but you can always just take out the bulb or etc. However, as cars get newer & newer, this is becoming much harder to do . Your best bet is just buying a manual car and not having to worry about this.

You can't turn a mule into a racehorse, some things just aren't worth the effort so I'd agree with your Moon analogy.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Nothing worth listing.
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
you can't use the newer benz manuals b/c they also have an electronic ECU (hard to believe but true, dunno what in the world its needed for but it has one). The older ones suck and are cable driven. Your best bet is going with a non-benz tranny and customizing it to work. You will also need custom driveshaft and etc. A realistic budget for a job of this magnitude is probably $7-10k to do it right, so plan accordingly
Yeah, I was thinking about using a non-Benz transmission. There are plenty out there that hold plenty of power. Do you happen to know what the dimensions and/or weight of our automatic unit?

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Most of the time, you can just remove the TCU and the engine ECU will still operate totally fine. It will through a transmission service code light, but you can always just take out the bulb or etc. However, as cars get newer & newer, this is becoming much harder to do . Your best bet is just buying a manual car and not having to worry about this.

You can't turn a mule into a racehorse, some things just aren't worth the effort so I'd agree with your Moon analogy.
In your opinion, AMS, since you guys are an actual shop and may have a more insight into this, with many E55 AMG's going out of warranty and as they get cheaper and cheaper. Do you think this may be something worth tackling in the near future? If what you say is true and the ECU could operate independently from the TCU, the swap shouldn't be too electronically difficult.

We aren't really turning a mule into a racehorse, its more like turning a really fast horse that has never had experience in a race, into a race horse.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Vince,

IMC, a trick for this type of thing is that the older Bosch units would work fine if the neutral pin on the wire harness as "lit up". Essentially, the ECU thinks the TCU is in neutral.

Unfortunately for our MB's, I seem to recall that the 55K won't rev much past 3000 RPM in neutral (??).

If there are manual tranny E's in Europe, you could probably source the pedal assemblies and asundry what nots from that route.

A lock and load internal shift rails manual transmission would be tons of fun in a 55K.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL55, 2010 C63
Pagani Zonda 6 speed tranny?
Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 PM

Nothing worth listing.
Originally Posted by mclarenm8d
Vince,

IMC, a trick for this type of thing is that the older Bosch units would work fine if the neutral pin on the wire harness as "lit up". Essentially, the ECU thinks the TCU is in neutral.

Unfortunately for our MB's, I seem to recall that the 55K won't rev much past 3000 RPM in neutral (??).

If there are manual tranny E's in Europe, you could probably source the pedal assemblies and asundry what nots from that route.

A lock and load internal shift rails manual transmission would be tons of fun in a 55K.
Can you please educate me a bit more no the Bosch units? Can't the ECU be reprogrammed so that the neutral rev limiter can be removed? Yes, the E's did come with manual transmissions, a six speed, in fact. And if I'm not mistaken, they came in the US as well in some lower trim E's. Sourcing a pedal assembly and other manual related parts should be easy. Finding a suitable transmission and making things work electronically is going to be the hard part.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 PM

BMW
quick search for "manual" in the 211 amg section:

https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=5128107

i do remember someone once years ago talking about this, but backed out last minute. was it someone from HMS in cali (or maybe another shop in ca?)? i vaguely recall it was a silver w211 55. any older members remember?