Sponsored by:

Gas smell driver side rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG Sedan
Gas smell driver side rear

I have the same problem as the guy in the older copied post below. Fuel pooling at the bottom of that part. What exactly is this part? What does it do? I've been searching MB parts sites but cannot see anything that looks like it (in parts photos).

I took the car to my local guy I use and told him to replace the black hose. He called me back today and said that he thinks the plastic teet to which the hose attaches is cracked because tightening the clamp makes the fuel spurt worse. He wants to replace the whole assembly (whatever that thing is) for $600. Yikes, I thought I would only need the hose replaced. Now I'm not sure what to believe.

I called my stealership and they took the VIN number to check if there was any recall for this. No news from them yet. Car is 2005 with 63K - out of warranty. Anyone know about a recall for this problem?

Thanks

Copied Post;
Originally Posted by BrianS
I had the dreaded gas smell in the garage yesterday and it was fairly heavy. It smelled the strongest by the passenger door on the driver's side. I didn't see anything in the belly pan so I pulled out the rear seat to check the pumps. Here's what I found...

Gas leak around the hose on the pump/filter assembly.

Closer pic showing the connection point and the hose felt a little loose so I can only assume it deteriorated just enough to open a small gap between the hose and fuel outlet.

I already had clamps and 5/16th fuel hose laying around so I cleaned up the mess and replaced the hose with new line, as well as, the clamps. I took the car for a long aggressive test drive afterwards and no signs of leakage.

Since I already had the parts, the only cost was time and that was less than an hour. This is just FYI for anyone running into this problem or your dealer proposing overly complicated and/or costly repairs for what could be a very easy fix.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
there should be a recall on this. contact MBUSA or the dealership to confirm.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
You are in luck. I just researched this the other night. Below is a thread which contains a PDF with the actual Campaign #.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...l-related.html
Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Calvin2376

Just wanted to update you all on what happened with me:

I had the exact same issue as 03RSTT and many of you are having. The cabin of my 2003 E55 started smelling like gas, took it to the dealer, he said that both fuel sending units (there's one on either side of the gas tank) were leaking gas out the tops. He could not tell if it was a small crack in the plastic of the sending unit assembly or a broken o-ring seal on top. Either way he said both had to be replaced.

I had already done my research on this and other forums' posts and played dumb to see where he'd take it. I said "Oh wow, well that seems like a huge safety issue. Have you ever heard of anything like this happening with these cars? Have you heard of any bulletins or recalls?" He said he'd never seen or heard anything like this issue before. I let him get off the phone so he could call my extended warranty company to see if they'd cover it.

Next day he calls back and says the warranty doesn't cover the sending units. By now I have all my research handy (and have already priced out the replacement of both units - $2,000) and said "Well there's been a recall for this exact issue on this exact car, it's a major safety concern and I'm going to contact MBUSA as well as NHTSA on this matter." He solemnly asked for the recall campaign number (2008-020001) and pledged to look into it.

A few days later (without my calling MBUSA, NHTSA, or doing anything other than mentioning the above to him) he calls back and says the replacement of both sending units will be covered as a "goodwill gesture" by Mercedes Benz.

Clearly the above posts, complaints to MBUSA and NHTSA, and general uproar over this issue have gotten MBUSA's attention, because he'd clearly contacted his service manager who contacted MBUSA who said they'd cover it and to use the words "goodwill gesture", which other posters here (the lucky ones) have heard from their dealers as well.

Here's my advice: if you have this issue, bring it to your dealer, let him diagnose it, then bring up the recall and explain that you're prepared to complain to MBUSA and NHTSA (campaigns at the NHTSA exist for this issue for I believe all model years of the W211 E55). Hopefully you'll get the same answer.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
We SERIOUSLY need to band together somehow and approach Benz on this issue. When people started nearly dying from SBC brake failures, Benz stepped up and covered the SBC system for life and fixed the software and the issue was resolved.

This issue is really serious. It sucks that we have to wait until some family roasts inside their car for Benz to step up and admit this is design flaw and start covereing these failures for the life of the cars.

MAN this is really starting to pi$$ me off.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
where is the unit so I can check mine too. I thought I smelled gas in the garage after I drove the beast a while back.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Calvin2376

The units are under the rear seats, one on either side. Unfortunately I can't help you since the dealer inspected it, but there are posts from people who have pulled up the rear seats to check themselves. As I understand it's not a difficult procedure - I would Google it.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Remove rear seat cusion. (Pops right out 4 two little lever doohickies)

Pull back black plastic padding, and you will see the two units. One on each side. Very easy to get to, and easy to see if there is a leak.

Don't smoke while you do this...
Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none yet
so i had the gas leak issue on my 04 and took it in for the recall. they put in the metal sleeve but it was obvious that it was already cracked. they told me that it would not be covered under the recall. i ended up paying for a new one. is there anyway i could get my money back for this?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
I had the gas smell a few weeks ago. Popped open the rear seat and cover and saw gas pooled up just like the picture in the first post. Mine was over the drivers rear side. To be honest I'm not sure if you can see anything on the passenger side.

I called an indeed it was under a open recall and after a week and a half I got it back good as new. I had a hard starting problem that seems to be gone as well. The Invoice I got back said:

D Recall # 2008020001 Fuel Filter Module
Cause: F(for you're F...ed lol)
025859 Fuel Level Sensor Check
2251 WM1 (N/C)
025861 Fuel Level Sensor Replace (After Check)
2251 WM1 (N/C)
1 211-470-51-94 Sender Unit (N/C)
2 211-471-05-79 Seal Ring (N/C)

72472 Campaign Due. Checked and found left side fuel filter module to be leaking as per this campaign it needs to be replaced. Performed repair #3 of this campaign, replaced fuel level indicator

I don't know if that completes it all as far as what actually goes into the fuel system. Also another thread on here had people complaining of the fuel smell and leak AFTER the recall so maybe it's just a matter of time before it goes again. 18 months was the time I remembered reading.

All in all I'm happy because the horrible smell is gone and the hard starting problem is gone. I paid nothing except for the tow which was my decision. I just didn't have time to drive it there and my insurance helped with the tab.

My car is an 04 and has about 72,500 miles. They also performed a catylyst recall but I don't think it affected this issue at all.

Hopefully this helps some
Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Calvin2376

An update:

As background, both my fuel sending units were cracked and leaking. Took to dealer, he diagnosed it, was going to be about $2,000 to fix, I brought up the recall, dealer looked into it and decided to cover it as a "goodwill gesture".

Picked up the car from the dealer and asked about what was going on and why he covered it. He said that he hadn't known about the recall till I told him about it, he looked it up and saw it addressed exactly this issue. He couldn't see what the previous dealer who performed the recall work actually did (there were several options: replace sending unit, replace seal, do nothing). He said the dealer itself and Mercedes the company were involved, somehow sharing the cost of the repair/replacement. He said the part had been updated since '03 and so I shouldn't have this issue again.

Unfortunately it sounds like most people with this issue see it happen again, so I'm just waiting for it. I asked specifically about the warranty on the repair, and he said that since it was a "goodwill gesture" (read: free) there was no warranty on the sending units. However, I do have a feeling that if the exact same issue happens again, and I bring it to this dealer who supposedly did the work that was supposed to fix it for good, they won't just saddle me with the whole cost again. I'm very happy with this dealer and the way they've handled it, just not too pleased with Mercedes design...

Not much else to report, have been driving the car for a few weeks since the repair and have had no issues, but it will take time to tell. Once again can't stress enough that if you have this issue, take your car to the dealer and mention 2008-020001. Also, go to NHTSA and file a formal complaint, as I and countless other E55 owners have.