W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-17-2015, 03:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Help please : Car won't start. It cranks but will not start.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Help please : Car won't start. It cranks but will not start.

After sitting for 4 weeks I went to use my 04 E55 and it fired right up . Drove 60 miles and shut car off . Twenty minutes later tried to start it and it would crank fine but would not start. Whats wierd is while cranking the starter you can take your hand off the key and the starter still cranks until your turn it back one position. After about twenty minutes of taking key out and re-trying it finally started and my check engine light was on. Tried to make it home but the car shut down and did the exact same thing while trying to restart. Ended up having to get towed home and this morning its still doing the same thing. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate sharing them with me. Thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
The continuous cranking when letting go of the key is normal. It will do it for a certain amount of time and then stop if the car doesnt start. Would it be ossible for you to read the codes and post them here? It would give alot more insight into what is going on with your car.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Crankshaft sensor failure is common on these cars. However, since it was sitting for 4 weeks there may be something else going on. I still maintain that sitting is the worst thing you can do to these cars, though sometimes it's unavoidable. Pull the code(s) and see what's going on.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Originally Posted by 1BADDBENZ
After sitting for 4 weeks I went to use my 04 E55 and it fired right up . Drove 60 miles and shut car off . Twenty minutes later tried to start it and it would crank fine but would not start. Whats wierd is while cranking the starter you can take your hand off the key and the starter still cranks until your turn it back one position. After about twenty minutes of taking key out and re-trying it finally started and my check engine light was on. Tried to make it home but the car shut down and did the exact same thing while trying to restart. Ended up having to get towed home and this morning its still doing the same thing. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate sharing them with me. Thanks
Crank shaft positioning sensor. Very common problem. I've had it go out on all my E classes. It cost about $600 for regular E, probably more for AMG. You do NOT need a benz tech to fix this, I would go to a ma and pa mechanic for it.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Crank Shaft Positioning Sensor +1
Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Crank shaft positioning sensor. Very common problem. I've had it go out on all my E classes. It cost about $600 for regular E, probably more for AMG. You do NOT need a benz tech to fix this, I would go to a ma and pa mechanic for it.
Here's one for 1/10th of that price: http://www.pelicanparts.com/euro/cat..._pg1.htm#item6
Old 02-21-2010, 01:15 PM

E55 AMG
Thanks for all your responses. I am new to this , I have only had my E55 for 3 months after always having vettes as a weekend car. How do I read the codes ?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:18 PM

2001 E430/ 2007SL 55
is the ck eng light on @ bulb test ? if not ck all fuses first. if u pull plug on crank sensor and ck terms some times they turn green clean & retry good luck
Old 02-21-2010, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Originally Posted by izzyz28
Here's one for 1/10th of that price: http://www.pelicanparts.com/euro/cat..._pg1.htm#item6
Dood where were you about a year ago!? Now that I'm on the forums I think all my repair bills are cut in half. At least!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:41 PM

03 e55 amg w211
I changed my alternator , my battery and the Crank Position Sensor. Car still won't start. After my alternator drained out my battery the car won't start anymore....any suggestions?
I already checked the fuel pumps under the rear seats and both sides seem to be functioning. While I'm trynna start the car all you smell is gas
Old 01-17-2014, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
There could be something running in your car while it's off draining the battery. My car did that and it ended up being a faulty passenger seat control module.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
I thought it was crank position sensor and swapped it, then we thought it was the cam sensor and swapped that.

It was the fuel pump relay on the right wheel house next to the aromatic reservoir tank in the trunk. $22 relay and 20 mins to fix the problem
Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 AM

CLS55 AMG
AMG pilot my car is doing this now... do you have the part number for the relay ?? or a picture of what it looks like ?? thanks !
Old 06-23-2014, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
crankshaft position sensor
Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM

CLS55 AMG
pulled a code last night and this is what i got....P0335 " Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit" any thoughts .????
Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Yup, it's crank position sensor (cps) , 40-60$ part and you can change it yourself
Old 06-23-2014, 04:38 PM

CLS55 AMG
Awesome just had autozone hold one for me. Thanks guys ! As always this forum rocks, And thank god i have 23" biceps ! This task will be fun as always squezzing my arms in tiny location made for umpa lumpas !
Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by whyask
Awesome just had autozone hold one for me. Thanks guys ! As always this forum rocks, And thank god i have 23" biceps ! This task will be fun as always squezzing my arms in tiny location made for umpa lumpas !
Do yourself a favor and get a oem one off Amazon. I got the *****ty autozone one and it died 4 days later. 37 dollars shipped from amazon. F *ck auto zone they wanted 60 for a tawain knock off
Old 06-23-2014, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by TheVazha
U need no tech, I feel bad for you if u really paid 600 for a 40 dollar sensor that can be installed by someone who is not necessarily a DIY guy in 30 mins.
Now you know how they build these big fancy Mercedes-Benz dealerships and give you free Coke, fruit smoothies and bagels LMAO hate the stealer !!!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:24 PM

CLS55 AMG
Just finished the install. Took longer for me to remove the damn intake lol very easy job all in all about 30 minutes start to finish with 2 beers. Only down fall i could barely get back there as i have GIANT monkey paws, all in all ill be ordering another from amazon (thanks AME E POWER) since autozone only had the Duralast brand on hand and i was in a tight bind. Thanks again to everyone here, saved my *** some coin and learned a little wrench time. Thanks again everyone !
Old 12-27-2017, 07:35 PM

ML320
Question ML320 Won't Start In Cold

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am completely new to this & have no clue HOW TO ASK A QUESTION TO GET HELP. I was searching for answers to How to get my car started when it wont start because of the cold & came across this site & registered so I could get some help. I am somewhat computer literate but not use to forums like these, how to post a question & get answers. I'm not even sure I'll be able to get back to this & see any help I may receive so I am giving my email address if anyone has the time & feels like emailing me & explaining it incase I get lost & cant get back here..My vehicle is a benz ML320. It was given to me 2 years ago & the person that gave it to me told me they had problems with a " slow start" in the winter also. I replaced the battery & so did they & that didn't take care of it. Since I've had the vehicle I have put almost $3,000 into it & i can NOT afford to put any more money in it. I am living on social security & barely making it with just bills & groceries. I usually have to get someone else to try & start it for me because it hurts my fingers trying for so long. It usually does start after awhile of trying But today it would NOT start at all not even with a jump. I only had like $10 of gas in it when I parked it on Christmas & I didn't start it at all Dec. 26 & today like I said it would NOT start not even with a jump. Is there ANYTHING I can do tonight to try & get it started tomorrow? I have NO other means of transportation & I have Dr. Appointments tomorrow. Maybe a Heating pad put under the hood someplace? Something I can pour into the gas tank incase its frozen? Their is a gas station across the street from me that I can walk to. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.. My E.mail is citygirl_23_2000@yahoo.com ... Thanks !!!

Last edited by chedrick; 12-27-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:02 PM

ML320
Exclamation HELP !! Still need suggestions PLEASE

Originally Posted by chedrick
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am completely new to this & have no clue HOW TO ASK A QUESTION TO GET HELP. I was searching for answers to How to get my car started when it wont start because of the cold & came across this site & registered so I could get some help. I am somewhat computer literate but not use to forums like these, how to post a question & get answers. I'm not even sure I'll be able to get back to this & see any help I may receive so I am giving my email address if anyone has the time & feels like emailing me & explaining it incase I get lost & cant get back here..My vehicle is a benz ML320. It was given to me 2 years ago & the person that gave it to me told me they had problems with a " slow start" in the winter also. I replaced the battery & so did they & that didn't take care of it. Since I've had the vehicle I have put almost $3,000 into it & i can NOT afford to put any more money in it. I am living on social security & barely making it with just bills & groceries. I usually have to get someone else to try & start it for me because it hurts my fingers trying for so long. It usually does start after awhile of trying But today it would NOT start at all not even with a jump. I only had like $10 of gas in it when I parked it on Christmas & I didn't start it at all Dec. 26 & today like I said it would NOT start not even with a jump. Is there ANYTHING I can do tonight to try & get it started tomorrow? I have NO other means of transportation & I have Dr. Appointments tomorrow. Maybe a Heating pad put under the hood someplace? Something I can pour into the gas tank incase its frozen? Their is a gas station across the street from me that I can walk to. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.. My E.mail is citygirl_23_2000@yahoo.com ... Thanks !!!
HELP STILL NEED SUGGESTIONS
Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 C230
I am having the same problem and i changed out starter, plugs, can and crank shaft sensor locking device i just took the selector lever switch and cleaned it because it can be a problem too. Now i am stunt cannot seem to figure what can cause it to just light up and the starter just clicks no start. I am going to try and run a 12 volt with a fuse to the switch or starter with an independent switch to see if it will start then i know from the switch to the starter there is no power because from switch to starter there should be 12 volts start .