Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
and my opinion bradenton is the best track here it's fast and prepped great
Old 02-21-2010, 08:49 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by vinnyz
hey u watch it now some of us east coast guys have fast cars .. when u wanna track it then let me know i'll be more than willing to let u use my 17's with mickey's .. besides i need something here to beat my times to make me wanna come out of retirement damn i sound like brett favre
r u coming to supercar weekend this upcoming friday or saturday? friday night is track night and there is gonna be alot of nice cars running (including a veyron i heard). i was gonna see if i could get on the track then. what type of wheels are the 17's?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Problem with dyno numbers is they are peak values, not average. A guy with 600hp shaped like a bell curve could be slower than 500hp shaped flat as a table. Its about energy delivery to the ground over time. In math terms, with all things being equal, area under the curve tells the story.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:02 PM

e55
Originally Posted by beauphus
r u coming to supercar weekend this upcoming friday or saturday? friday night is track night and there is gonna be alot of nice cars running (including a veyron i heard). i was gonna see if i could get on the track then. what type of wheels are the 17's?
rims are voxx 5-112 the off set is 35 or 36 cant remember right now but they will fit on ur car .. i might come out friday night will know by thur. but i'm not running car i'm still retired lol
Old 02-21-2010, 09:05 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
rims are voxx 5-112 the off set is 35 or 36 cant remember right now but they will fit on ur car .. i might come out friday night will know by thur. but i'm not running car i'm still retired lol
if i get this double idler pulley im gonna try and make a go of it. let me know if u decide to come down
Old 02-21-2010, 09:09 PM

e55
if i get this double idler pulley im gonna try and make a go of it. let me know if u decide to come down
the pulley ur looking for is the outside or the inside of the double pulley ?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Originally Posted by Wryfox
Problem with dyno numbers is they are peak values, not average. A guy with 600hp shaped like a bell curve could be slower than 500hp shaped flat as a table. Its about energy delivery to the ground over time. In math terms, with all things being equal, area under the curve tells the story.
Well said!

I just recently dyno'ed my car and found out that my intercooler pump is on it's last legs. I made 350 whp on 2 runs and made 150 hp on the second run. so for me, the dyno concluded that I wasn't loosing my mind and that my car does feel sluggish. How this correlates to your situation I don't know!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
the pulley ur looking for is the outside or the inside of the double pulley ?
inside plastic pulley...ASP is making the inner one and i will have it in a month but in the meantime i needed one for temporary purposes. a friendly forum member has a spare so i should be all set.

by the way...when u run ur voxx do u run all 4 or just rears?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
+1 have you ever seen the dyno graph from an SLR?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 PM

e55
i ran just the rears .. it seemed to run good no tire spin what so ever .. and that pulley u can get from dealership and take apart to use the rear pulley ..
Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
i ran just the rears .. it seemed to run good no tire spin what so ever .. and that pulley u can get from dealership and take apart to use the rear pulley ..
dealership wants $400 for the assembly
Old 02-21-2010, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
im predicting my car wont do too well in the 1/4 with these wagon wheels i got on it. alan - let me borrow ur rears and skinnies for a minute...
What up Aaron! I might not have a problem letting you borrow my setup depending on when. I know for a fact that you would need some spacers for my skinny's. We tried it on Juicee63's car at the track and it definitely had fitment issues. I would guess a 5mm spacer would do the trick.

IMHO I didn't gain what I expected with the skinny's. My already super light HRE C20's were actually lighter than my CCW's.... I ended up saving 5-6 lbs on the tires and gave back 1-2 lbs on the rims. All though I did shave .05 and gained 1 mph on the top end. Would I pay the high dollar price tag for them again, probably not. If you have some heavy a$$ rims upfront I'm sure you'll gain more than myself. My quickest time without skinny's is 10.822 and 10.776 with them.

Great post! I was just talking with someone about this earlier today. Peak HP is for dyno queens and the power under the curve is what creates a fast a$$ car...period. I've seen dyno graphs that have similar peak HP and torque but under the curve I have 30-35 more rwhp. These very same people wonder why their cars are slower than mine.....
Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by bassn_07
What up Aaron! I might not have a problem letting you borrow my setup depending on when. I know for a fact that you would need some spacers for my skinny's. We tried it on Juicee63's car at the track and it definitely had fitment issues. I would guess a 5mm spacer would do the trick.

IMHO I didn't gain what I expected with the skinny's. My already super light HRE C20's were actually lighter than my CCW's.... I ended up saving 5-6 lbs on the tires and gave back 1-2 lbs on the rims. All though I did shave .05 and gained 1 mph on the top end. Would I pay the high dollar price tag for them again, probably not. If you have some heavy a$$ rims upfront I'm sure you'll gain more than myself. My quickest time without skinny's is 10.822 and 10.776 with them.
im pretty sure my wheels in front are lighter then stock even though they are 20x9. i think the fronts weighed 23 lbs without tires..
Old 02-21-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
+1 have you ever seen the dyno graph from an SLR?
Link please
Old 02-21-2010, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
im pretty sure my wheels in front are lighter then stock even though they are 20x9. i think the fronts weighed 23 lbs without tires..
Damn, those are some light a$$ 20's . My comp HRE's are about 20 and my CCW's are 21.5.

Don't sweat the dyno numbers because they could be manipulated in many ways. You'll get the numbers that really matter very soon.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Well I'm like 50/50 on this Dyno debate... To me its all about how the dyno is setup. A load based dyno like Mustang, or Dyno-Dynamics will yield lower numbers over an inertia base dyno, like Dynojet.

From shop to shop.. I've seen Mustang dyno's spitting out numbers all over the place. In most cases they seem to be the lowest these days. I can only think it has to do with the load the operator puts on the dyno.. As compared to another shops. With Mustang dyno's its real important to have a great operator... That basically does for all dyno's though..

The Dynojet will just measure how fast you can spin a big drum. So if you take one of Newton's Laws.. Once you get that big drum moving real fast it takes less power from the engine to keep it moving.. Or its easier for the engine to keep moving it. So that give the Dynojet its higher power reading over load based dyno's.

The trick is to use only 1 dyno.. IMO a load based dyno is better. They offer tune-ability that dyno's like dynojet (inertia based) cant. If I could offer advice dont tune or try to tune on a dynojet, because you cant load the dyno.

A dynojet will just keep accelerating. Blasting to fast, that no real time changes can be made to part throttle mapping and what not.

Here is where Im 50/50 on all of this dyno vs track stuff..

We all have different racing styles.. Some like to feather the throttle off the line. Others launch at stall speed. Then there are guys who launch off idle. Some short shift.. the list goes on...

so if 450whp nets you a 12.00 run on a consistent basis. That is what it is. Granted there maybe guys who can run your car faster or slower..

So you do some more modding, then hit the dyno.. Say you gain 60whp .. You hit the track and blast off an 11.50 on a consistent basis. just from the new power, and your driving style netted you a half second gain in time.

So now you know at 500whp you can run an 11.50.

With me, I have a truck load of ECU maps. 100oct, 91oct 95oct. Soon 109oct. so based on those power numbers each one puts down. I know what i should be able to run.. Thats where dyno numbers are useful to me..

What the Dyno cant do for you is... Tell you your camber is out of spec. That can leave you guessing at the track as to why your times are not consistent with your dyno numbers.

This killed me at Famoso in Nov last year. I was unable to get my car to run what i thought it should have. Due to my camber being out of spec from my past or "baseline" races. I hit up MBarts for a camber kit and got my cars 60ft time back in the area they needed to be in..

I ran an 11.55 at 120mph with a 60ft time of like 1.85.. I was int he 1.90's all day. Came home, installed the camber kit and that 100% fixed my traction issues.

So the dyno is a usefull tool. if its used right (dont think any is arguing against that) But the track is also needed for the intangibles a dyno cant tell you.

All I know is these big powered AMG, should hit like a truck off the line. No wheel spin. followed by acceleration that kinda makes you get light headed behind the wheel.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Sounds like my old 600. It had over 500 RWHP for almost the entire dyno run.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
speaking of camber - my car is so low and my camber is so off that pretty much the outer 25% of my tread doesnt even touch the ground. back to the drawing board...
Old 02-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
speaking of camber - my car is so low and my camber is so off that pretty much the outer 25% of my tread doesnt even touch the ground. back to the drawing board...
My brothers CLS is the same way. But man it looks great. That was killing him at the dragstrip. He was fast at mid top track, but he couldn't get off the line without wheel spin. I would look into a camber kit. leave nothing to chance when blowing peoples doors off at the track.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:06 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
My brothers CLS is the same way. But man it looks great. That was killing him at the dragstrip. He was fast at mid top track, but he couldn't get off the line without wheel spin. I would look into a camber kit. leave nothing to chance when blowing peoples doors off at the track.
who makes a camber kit? i have always heard there really isnt a good solution for our cars. what about camber bushings?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
why are all the fast AMG's in cali? must be those fast tarcks u guys have. im gonna have to put the east coast on the map
East coast has been on the map for a while buddy. Look at the top 3 quickest MB's
Originally Posted by jangy
Most AMGs are sold in SOCal. East coast tracks are actually faster......
First statement is a fact, the second is a generalization. There is a track in Cali that traps higher than any east coast track I've heard of
im predicting my car wont do too well in the 1/4 with these wagon wheels i got on it. alan - let me borrow ur rears and skinnies for a minute...
If you ever come up to MIR you can use my drag wheel/tire setup
Old 02-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
who makes a camber kit? i have always heard there really isnt a good solution for our cars. what about camber bushings?
MB Arts, makes a good kit. I have their kit on my car and its a must if you race and are lowered. PM GLK4MATIC he can line you up.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by bassn_07

Great post! I was just talking with someone about this earlier today. Peak HP is for dyno queens and the power under the curve is what creates a fast a$$ car...period. I've seen dyno graphs that have similar peak HP and torque but under the curve I have 30-35 more rwhp. These very same people wonder why their cars are slower than mine.....

My car has HUGE brakes otherwise the wheels woulda fit(skinnies)

My rears are available
Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
dont sweat the dyno numbers too much beauphus. just like others have said before, they really dont mean much. ive dynoed close to 600whp and over 700wtq on one dyno (dyno dynamics) and the very next day on a different dyno (mustang) i hit around 440whp/480wtq.

just take the beast to the track and get your ETs, thats where it really matters!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
I hope I dont get lynched for asking...But I just got done dumping a lot of money into my car being rebuilt and doing a considerable amount of mods and I am constantly reading about cars that have much less mods (stage 1 or stage 2) that are doing the same or better dyno numbers. I know dyno doesnt mean much but I cant help but wonder why such large variations - even when comparing using the same brand dyno (mustang, dyno jet, etc). I broke into mid 5's with my build but I read of others who have supposedly a fraction of th e mods doing much bigger numbers and I am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong...Ultimately I know track numbers trump all but I am curious if there are some hidden mods everyone with these crazy numbers is doing that I am not aware of.
I knew there was a reason why you would not post the dyno chart.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why so many power discrepancies?